MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: why my boring photo gets so many view?  (Read 4252 times)

« on: October 31, 2008, 07:02 »
I remember somebody here mentioned getting so many view on their files,which normally can't be something bad but I don't  what sort of affect number of views has on IS's best match  but I suspect it could have a negative affect though.

the reason why I mention this here is that two of my latest approved files (with same subject) got exactly same number of views(around 20) just after being approved.I know you might think it could be just fellow photographers checking latest uploads and  and sometimes I do that too but I'd only click on a photo  if it is really something  interesting  but the two photo   mentioned above, to my point of view  would not be necessarily that interesting to someone who is just surfing the site. (although they are technically good and useful stock images --they are picture of isolated objects on  white  to be more precise)So if they were  picture of hot chicks I wouldn't  get so surprised with the number of views:).

Any ideas what could have happened?would it be  possible someone trying to manipulate the result by increasing the number of views(randomly)  or am I being just  paranoid. ??? I'd better go and shoot some new photos:)

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 07:22 »
When I sort my portfolio by best match, the first image is an older one that has 35,000 + views and 165 downloads. So i can't quite figure out this best match at all. by you reasoning I would think that file should be buried. SO the mystery of the algorithm remains ???

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 08:31 »
I remember somebody here mentioned getting so many view on their files,which normally can't be something bad but I don't  what sort of affect number of views has on IS's best match  but I suspect it could have a negative affect though.

the reason why I mention this here is that two of my latest approved files (with same subject) got exactly same number of views(around 20) just after being approved.I know you might think it could be just fellow photographers checking latest uploads and  and sometimes I do that too but I'd only click on a photo  if it is really something  interesting  but the two photo   mentioned above, to my point of view  would not be necessarily that interesting to someone who is just surfing the site. (although they are technically good and useful stock images --they are picture of isolated objects on  white  to be more precise)So if they were  picture of hot chicks I wouldn't  get so surprised with the number of views:).

Any ideas what could have happened?would it be  possible someone trying to manipulate the result by increasing the number of views(randomly)  or am I being just  paranoid. ??? I'd better go and shoot some new photos:)

I said that. I am sure there are people who intentionally look at new photos to lower their position in search engine. It's always about 20-25 views for all my images. Someone said that people love to look at new images....but it's impossible that always some 20-25 people look at my newly uploaded images. If that's the case, the range would be more flexibile...for example 5-30 views. It looks like there is a group of the same people who look at new images by intention
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 08:35 by whitechild »

hali

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 10:31 »
I said that. I am sure there are people who intentionally look at new photos to lower their position in search engine.
you got me confused here whitechild.
do you mean that if i get lots of views and no dl my position in search will harm my portfolio?
i didn't know that. but yes, i see some of my photos with certain sites have that sort of "investigation".
i once asked someone about this. esp. once when my image was chosen by the editor.
i got over hundreds of view but no sales. i realise that 's not a compliment.

i didn't realise that getting views can actually harm your portfolio.
if so, there are a lot of bad people in stock photography. not very professional attitude, don't you think?

if someone want to protect their interest, you would think they would spend more time making more photos to UL , then to waste time doing harm to other contributors.

whitechild, please explain, did i misunderstand your comment.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:34 by hali »

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 17:48 »
You understood my comment correctly. It seems that if you have many views and no downloads, your image gets low ranking in search engine. I guess it's because many views and no DL's means that buyers take a closer look at your image, but for some reason decide not to buy it. So, search engine is pulling your image lower, and pushing some other images, with less views up, for buyers to take a look at them. But that is only one of many possible factors that have influence on search engine.