pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Stock Photography Community  (Read 4245 times)

AVAVA

« on: November 15, 2008, 12:25 »
Hi All,

This is probably a waste of cyberspace but I was thinking about what a great community this place can be so I looked up the Latin meaning of community. Her is what I found :

" Communis comes from a combination of the Latin prefix com- (which means "together") and the word munis probably originally derived from the Etruscan word munis- (meaning "to have the charge of") "

I put those together and I get " together we have the charge of ". I see many people that embrace this feeling here on the site and I just want to send out a thank you for all of the those here that help each other and work as a team to better understand the industry and to help us all personally as well as communally " take charge of " our craft.

Thanks to everyone that uses this site to interact and support one another. Those that do totally ROCK in my book.

Thank you,
Jonathan

vonkara

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 13:19 »
Thanks!  :D

lagereek

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 17:31 »
cheers Jonathan!

digiology

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 23:16 »
Group HUG!!!  :D :D :D

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 01:06 »
Thank you for such nice thought Jonathan! It feels great to be a part of our community! :)   Cheers everyone!

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 01:29 »
I've often wondered how important community is to the microstock phenomenon. I believe, Johnathan, that you come from a macrostock background, and I'm wondering if there's any community in that field, or is it all just business? Bruce started microstock as basically a community sharing site, and that ethos seems to have remained, but I think most strongly on istock as the others did actually start as businesses. Many istockers are drawn in because of the community, and many then become successful due to the support there. Of course this site maintains that tradition as an independent community, and the independence and overview is good to have.

AVAVA

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 18:48 »
Hi Avril,

Yes I did start in the Macro world and I can tell you in the beginning it was a cold lonely world. The only person you had was an editor to tell you yes and no or what they needed, which was great but you didn't have a community of fellow shooters to share info with. People were and some still are very closed with the business information they choose to share. It is the same in Micro as well as any competitive industry, it is a personal choice.

Several years ago through a listserv, ( not much different than this place just a lot less participants ) a group of Macro stock photographers started talking about building their own stock collection. I was fortunate to be included from the start up and together we built the first co-op owned stock photography agency. That was my first experience with working within a community ( since photo school in college ) and for me it was and still is very inspirational.

I see Micro as another fresh example of the power of community and the feeling of support ( most the time  ::) ) that you get from people you may never even meet some day. I find that amazing and I am just glad to be part of another solid think tank of passionate photographers.

I have always followed that if you share with others what you already know the sharing will allow the development of your mind to truly be pushed to create and embrace what is special about your vision and not relying on what you already know. Deep HUH! 8)

These Micro Blogs are filled with the kind of energy I remember sitting around with college buddies smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee till late in the evening embraced in one mutual love. I really enjoy those that give, and I am working on dealing with the few that just criticize and take. ::)

As far as the Micro communities that are not independently run. let's just say I don't frequent them quite as much.

Best,
AVAVA

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 20:30 »
This place is great.. It keeps us informed and linked together to fight any injustices or applaude the good.. Glad to be here.. ;D