pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Data analysys: relationship between portfolio and sales at FT  (Read 6594 times)

saniphoto

« on: November 19, 2008, 04:48 »
(Note: all data I speak about here refers to FT only)

As promised I want to start to share some data and analysys, that
I think can be of some interest to all.

In this 2008 alone, we raised our portfolio of almost 350% - from around 750
images online at end of 2007 - to a total of 3436 images online (and the year
is not over yet!).

I can testify that also earnings were skyrocketing, going up 3 times in
2007 (during the first year of more 'serious' approach - new cameras, new
equipment for studio, more images and more attention to what one
produce and submit) and that number (of end 2007) is now almost tripled
again in 2008, when we have push again forward.

So, since end of 2006, our earnings have improved around 9 times with
an increase of portofolio of almost 5 times (by this year end).
Something has been done thanks to some increase in commissions (also the
subscriptions scheme), but since Emerald rank is recent for us, I can give
testimony that portfolio increase alone will do well, providing your portfolio
is one of the two:

- highly professionally specialized or
- with a wide variety of themes (better if creative and original)

(Note: good quality and saleable images are obviously the first thing to consider)

Hope that was useful and I'm very curious to hear some other experiences
and thoughts.

wish you a creative day!
Val

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 06:17 »
well done saniphoto.  You are moving ahead quickly.

What is your fotolia rank.. if you care to share?  It sounds like you are in my area :)

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 06:40 »
Great job, way to go! :)

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 06:45 »
wow! thanks for sharing. truly inspiring!

saniphoto

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 07:05 »
well done saniphoto.  You are moving ahead quickly.

What is your fotolia rank.. if you care to share?  It sounds like you are in my area :)

Hi Leaf

Well, no problem. Our absolute ranking is 61. I must admit not to know (cannot found information
about it nowhere...)  exactly what the 'relative' ranking is (recent sales ranking?), that is 93.

oh, thanks to Khwi and sutyagin for responding and appreciating.

Will post soon some other data and thoughts about microstock photography.

Val

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 07:22 »
relative ranking is your ranking over your whole time on fotolia and is apparently the total of all your sales compared to other peoples.  So essentially there is 60 people who have sold more than you on fotolia.  I am not sure whether it is $$ or sales count though, but I suppose it doesn't really matter either.

The relative ranking is your stats for the last 7 days.  The last 7 days here have been 92 people that have sold more than you.

Mine stats are currently
overall: 89
relative (or mine actually shows 7 day rank, not sure why some people show a different label): 101

I have been on fotolia a while longer than you though... you must have worked quite hard this year.

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 07:31 »
It's $ not sales.

I am not sure whether it is $$ or sales count though, but I suppose it doesn't really matter either.

grp_photo

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 07:46 »
It's $ not sales.

I am not sure whether it is $$ or sales count though, but I suppose it doesn't really matter either.
This is interesting and i think it does a lot matter. Its a big difference if you have 100xs sales or 100XXXL Sales or even 100EL Sales or 100XXXL exclusive files priced at 5Credits etc.
Again interesting thanks for the Info!

saniphoto

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 08:17 »
relative ranking is your ranking over your whole time on fotolia and is apparently the total of all your sales compared to other peoples.  So essentially there is 60 people who have sold more than you on fotolia.  I am not sure whether it is $$ or sales count though, but I suppose it doesn't really matter either.

The relative ranking is your stats for the last 7 days.  The last 7 days here have been 92 people that have sold more than you.

Mine stats are currently
overall: 89
relative (or mine actually shows 7 day rank, not sure why some people show a different label): 101

I have been on fotolia a while longer than you though... you must have worked quite hard this year.

Thank you leaf. So, in this case I think that is the absolute rank the thing to look at. Because weekly
sale ranking is fluctuating. Is surely good to look at to see some trend upward or downward, but
I'd not stress too much over it.

Something I would consider and study closely anyway, if the trend would go downward constantly!  ;)

Yes, this year was the 'boosting year' (lot of efforts put into reaching this result - reflected obviously
also in other agencies), next year will be the 'consolidating' one..  :)

have a nice day,
Val

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 08:36 »
yeah, i agree not TOO much focus should be put on the raning, and that the overall (absolute) ranking is the one to look at. 

even if you do go down though, it doesn't mean your getting worse, just that others are producing more than you.  It is a fun thing to watch though and to help set goals and motivate.

saniphoto

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 10:02 »
even if you do go down though, it doesn't mean your getting worse, just that others are producing more than you.  It is a fun thing to watch though and to help set goals and motivate.

correct!  :)   I'd add that in FT is particularly interesting to see how new ranking affect your sales, because respect other agencies where price 'ranking' are per photo, not photographer there IS a difference. In FT, higher prices produce probably a slight decline in sales quantity due to the fact that other good images are available at lower prices (must collect data from some months before state that with sureness - will tell next year!  ;) )   

and now...  time to go back to shoot new images!