MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: How do you back up your images?  (Read 22582 times)

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2008, 20:11 »
Right now I'm using Mozy but am thinking of using Carbonite also. It's cheaper and easier than external hard drives. i figure that the two of them should be secure. If one company fails, I will still have the other. I did have an external fail with all my images on it as back up but still had the originals on my computer hard drive. Now I don't trust any hard drive back up but feel somewhat more secure with the off site back-up from Mozy and carbonite. Would hate to lose any files, until something better comes along I'll stick with this option.

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 04:44 »
I use Carbonite..
Cheap and above all, unlimited storage for almost no money! 

Second one is Mozy.com wich I upload everything (jpeg,raw,psd).

I found a lot of negative feedback about both Carbonite and Mozy. Data lost / not restored with Carbonite; too slow upload and various problems with client for Mozy...

Also beware that there is no commitment from online backup companies - no uptime guarantee; no data availability guarantee, i.e. there is no SLA at all and Terms_and_conditions deny any responsibility.

So using an online backup might be a useful extra option but isn't looking safe as a primary backup method, at least with cheap companies.

Amazon S3 looks better with an explicit SLA (which is assured by such a serious name like Amazon), but it becomes more expensive when you store large amounts of data (>100GB)... BTW it works nicely with freeware FireFox addon S3Fox.

Amazon S3 get more expensive if you store lot of data into it, but with its multiple  geolocation datacenters and somewhat good SLA it is quite good and amazon is serious with its cloud computing services (like ec2, cloud front etc..). So I think my backups are quite safe in their hands:). Mozy.com has gotten some bad and good reviews so I do not count on it, but it is cheap secondary backup location.  I have also on location backup just in case and will always evaluate new backup strategies.

That s3fox is also very nice tool. But for better backup automation the jungledisk is needed.

best regards: MjP

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2008, 06:46 »
Wich software do you use for automatic backups?

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 07:04 »
Which software do you use for automatic backups?

Acronis True Image 11 is very good you can set this as a task to backup your entire
harddrive. on a particular day and time

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 08:04 »
I use MOZY and I have to say it is awesome!  just yesterday I for some silly reason batch processed some of my files into black and white without FIRST saving the color versions......ya I know very bad move.....I thought I had the color lost forever....But I had them backed up on my MOZY.com!  I just went there on my computer...and pressed restore and there you go I got them back!!!!

So thanks to MOZY!

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2008, 09:47 »
Wich software do you use for automatic backups?

I have used SyncBackSE for many years and love it.  Besides the ability to create backups via various schedules, it will also keep previous versions of files (that you specify).  This is a great feature, just in case you made a change and backed it up, but then you realize you needed the previous version.

2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbse-features.html

« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 06:47 by leaf »

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2008, 16:12 »
Amazon S3 get more expensive if you store lot of data into it, but with its multiple  geolocation datacenters and somewhat good SLA it is quite good and amazon is serious with its cloud computing services (like ec2, cloud front etc..). So I think my backups are quite safe in their hands:). <...>
That s3fox is also very nice tool. But for better backup automation the jungledisk is needed.

best regards: MjP
Yes indeed Amazon is serious and I am trying it now myself, so far just with manual copy via s3fox. I think I will use some automation for personal non-photography files. But I need to find another solution for photos - my ADSL line is too slow for large volume backup (it took 10.5 hours today to transfer 1.65 GB of data).

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009, 04:16 »
I backup all photos to a in-house server, and then from there to USB attached HDD, which I lock in a safe once done, so I at least have 3 copies of each :)

avava

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 17:48 »
 Hi All,

I have about 30 Terabits of pictures does anyone know the best way to store that amount of info rather than the 60 different drives I have them on. I would love to do some kind of server that would hold that much without sinking my pocket book. Any ideas I am definitely not a pixel junkie. You want the mixing recipe for a good d-76 or a dip and dunk that compresses your highlights and shadows then I am your man but the digital age on the storage end I am pretty clueless.

Any Help...

Thanks,
AVAVA

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009, 17:54 »
The good news is if one fails you still have 59  :)

I wonder how many days it will take just to transfer that much data.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 18:14 by cdwheatley »

avava

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2009, 18:58 »
 Hi CD,

I figure there is always a back up version at the agency but the Macros make you pay full price for your own work so it might get pricey to download your entire portfolio if you wanted to, If you want to. I was just thinking it is probably better to keep them in two different locations and then wait for technology to catch up to that much data. You never know though we might come up with great new compressions that make that amount of info a thing of the past in size. Tough call. Thanks for the thoughts.

Best,
AVAVA

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2009, 19:03 »
I back them up on a seperate hard drive and onto dvds

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2009, 19:44 »
Hi CD,

I figure there is always a back up version at the agency but the Macros make you pay full price for your own work so it might get pricey to download your entire portfolio if you wanted to, If you want to. I was just thinking it is probably better to keep them in two different locations and then wait for technology to catch up to that much data. You never know though we might come up with great new compressions that make that amount of info a thing of the past in size. Tough call. Thanks for the thoughts.

Best,
AVAVA

Probably around $6,000.00 to buy 60 (1 terabit externals) plus time spent trying to transfer all the info(especially if you have some older drives)..I can see why your looking for a server. Thats a lot of money to spend on back-up. I bet someone around here has a good answer.

I recently tried to transfer some info from a 3-4 year old maxtor II one-touch and vista will not accept the drivers. So now I need an XP machine just to get the info off it. They didn't mention that in the manual  :D

avava

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2009, 19:50 »
Hey CD,

Just ran a test on all sixty and one of my older Maxtors wouldn't fire so I am copying the back up over to a new one this week. It is a pain in the a*s but when I think about how long it would have taken to sleeve all those slides OMG and the files for keeping them in. I guess I can't bitch to much but if someone has an idea please help here. I don't know what I am talking price wise here but don't let that slow you down if you have any info.

Thx,
AVAVA

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 00:58 »
I have a 500GB internal drive which gets backed up daily to an external 1TB drive which gets backed up weekly to a 1TB extneral drive that's taken offsite.

I just had an internal drive fail a couple weeks ago and if it wasn't for the backups I'dve been hosed.

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2009, 04:29 »
I use syncback for backup and have setup to automatically make a backups to a 2nd hard drive in my machine and then another one to our home server.  I am also procrastinating about making dvd backups which will be stored at work to make offsite backup as at some point in the past a few thousand images got corrupted somehow.  as I dont look at all my images all the time :) I didn't realise and the corrupt images propogated through and replaced the good copies on both backups :(

avava

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2009, 12:22 »
 Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help guys but I am talking about 30 teribits here. I already have them backed up on separate drives I am looking for another option if someone has some IT knowledge that would be a great help. By the way even the gold DVD's will not last very long so don't believe what you read about 100 years. You will be lucky to get 10 out of dvd's of any kind. Data tape is the safest method to my knowledge.

Best,
AVAVA

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2009, 15:02 »
My Method is taken from the data centers I have worked with.. Probably the most secure method.. I use this for my images as well as my graphic and web clients files.

1. PC computer running linux operating system (virtually virus free)
2. 2 RAID configured hard drives (mirrored hard drives) so if one dies the other is exactly the same.
3. An external hard drive, inside of a fire proof safe that backs up nightly.

You could go 1 step further and create a tape backup, dvd's or another external drive that you change out every week or 2 that you store somewhere else.. (this would provide security from theft if your home was robbed).

Jonathan, you could use this method for your 60 tbs, just would have to buy hard drives with that capacity.. Or use several smaller capacity drives..

This is how most data centers protect server data..

avava

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2009, 15:58 »
Thanks Tubed,

That was a Big help. Scared to even start looking at a group of drives for all of this. I imagine they need to be different then what I have to link together which is what I would love to do, some kind of SATA or something I would imagine. Is there anyway to take the single Tera drives I have and link them all and have them connected to their own computer and be able to search all my data?

Thanks,
AVAVA

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2009, 16:16 »
Thanks Tubed,

That was a Big help. Scared to even start looking at a group of drives for all of this. I imagine they need to be different then what I have to link together which is what I would love to do, some kind of SATA or something I would imagine. Is there anyway to take the single Tera drives I have and link them all and have them connected to their own computer and be able to search all my data?

Thanks,
AVAVA

Yes there is.. You could do that a couple ways..

1. through USB hub (if they are external or inserted into a external adapter), you can connect them all through a USB hub (multiple USB connections) but for 60 hard drives you would need several of these.
2. you could use a storage rack to insert them all into like this this (uses RAID like I mentioned above).. There are also larger versions of similar towers - http://www.addonics.com/products/raid_system/mst4.asp

avava

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2009, 16:24 »
Thanks a lot ma that is a big help. Sounds like a lot cheaper route to go and we could just keep the back up drives off site.

Thx Again,
 AVAVA

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2009, 17:02 »
I have an external hard drive that I back everything on my computer to.  I keep the external HD in a fire resistant safe when not being used.  The "good" pictures that I've processed and submitted are also on my SmugMug site.  I still need to upload all my family-oriented picture there.

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2009, 17:21 »
Thanks a lot ma that is a big help. Sounds like a lot cheaper route to go and we could just keep the back up drives off site.

Thx Again,
 AVAVA

or you can buy 7,500 standard DVD's...lol :P

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2009, 17:25 »

Thx Again,
 AVAVA

;D ... that collection would be fun to search..

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2009, 17:35 »

Thx Again,
 AVAVA

;D ... that collection would be fun to search..

You just need one of these

;D