pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Canon solves " black dot " issue on 5d mark ii  (Read 6355 times)

« on: January 09, 2009, 11:37 »
those who already own the camera should know this by now but Canon has released updated firmware for canon 5d mark ii to fix the black dot issue and banding problem. according to what I read , those who updated firmware to the latest version are happy with the result. new firmware can be downloaded here
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eos5dmk2/firmware.html
I haven't got the camera yet so I couldn't try myself:(

eta:oh well ,there are also some people who are not happy with the solution and they think canon brought white dots instead of the black one with the firmware upgrade and they believe it was the hardware causing the problem not the software  I don't know???????????????????
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:44 by stokfoto »

RacePhoto

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 14:16 »
those who already own the camera should know this by now but Canon has released updated firmware for canon 5d mark ii to fix the black dot issue and banding problem. according to what I read , those who updated firmware to the latest version are happy with the result. new firmware can be downloaded here
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eos5dmk2/firmware.html
I haven't got the camera yet so I couldn't try myself:(

eta:oh well ,there are also some people who are not happy with the solution and they think canon brought white dots instead of the black one with the firmware upgrade and they believe it was the hardware causing the problem not the software  I don't know???????????????????

I guess I'll stay away from shooting dark Christmas trees with strings of lights until future notice. Or skip night scenes with street lights.  ;D

Waiting until April before I look seriously at buying one of these. Saving about $200 off the list on the 24-105 lens is a strange but true motivation. Not upsizing for Alamy is another. By then we'll have the CES show out of the way and PMA. Who knows what's next? Is it time for the 60D or a 1DS MK III or the often hinted at 7D. (which I still think is a myth)

Oh I know, the 5D Mk III with no little dots of any color!  ;D

lisafx

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 15:09 »
Thanks for posting the link.  I just finished my update.  Haven't used the camera enough to have the problem (and I rarely do any night shooting anyway) but at least it was an interesting lesson in upgrading firmware. 

I was never an early adopter of any camera before so didn't have to do it. 

hali

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 19:05 »
black dot! white dot!
Hmm, that reminds me of what first happened with the Pentax k20d. Some say it was due to the high resolution (14 MP) or something. But after the firmware and pixel mapping , the problem was solved.
I wonder if this is the same case. Not a technical expert, so just wondering aloud. :)

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 19:40 »
I saw early test shoots of the "black sun" effect in 5dmk2, it's a little bit hard to remove this effect. I'm very happy that the firmware update came so fast.
I just finished the update, everything went fine.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 19:42 »
Ah those were the days, good old Frank could solve every murder with none of this new fangled CSI mumbo jumbo... think he's lost an N since then though. :D