pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Best price you have seen for a Canon lens  (Read 7098 times)

« on: September 29, 2008, 23:43 »
Looking for a 24-105L IS

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 02:01 »
I was very interesting in this lens. Please when you get it, let me know how do you like it?

-sharpness
-precision in focusing
-crhomatic aberations?

tnx!

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 08:12 »
There's one currently listed in the used department of B&H for $929. It will likely be a refurbished one, as they do come up periodically. I bought one from there and it was in perfect condition. I am really happy with this lens.

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 11:56 »
I guess you already know this but that lens comes in kit with the 5D MKII for 850$CDN more than the body only (kit 3650$CDN vs body only 2800$CDN in Canada).

So if you plan to change your camera in a near future, it could be an option...

Claude

CofkoCof

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 04:20 »
I heard something about cashbacks coming soon. But it's only speculations. Atm only a few Canon bodies can get you some casback.

shank_ali

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 14:00 »
I was very interesting in this lens. Please when you get it, let me know how do you like it?

-sharpness
-precision in focusing
-crhomatic aberations?

tnx!
My only lens so i would say the 700 i payed for it new 15 months ago was money well spent.Love it !

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 14:06 »
I use this lens a lot. I have the 24-70 L2.8 as well and still find the 24-105 on the camera almost all the time. So much so I may get rid of the 24-70. It has some problems but the IS works so well. Now I do shoot with an old 1Ds right now so I can't go much past ISO 100, I have a new 5D II coming so I'll see if I can j push the ISO dial a couple of stops to make up form my shaky hands.

Peter

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 17:12 »
I have this lens, I bought it from B&H paid $1049.00 and worth every penny! I love it.

Here is a good review of this lens and bookmark the site. The tester knows what he is talking about!!

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/188-canon-ef-24-105mm-f4-usm-l-is-lab-test-report--review

I have had a rejection for "over sharpening" and I did not sharpen the image!! Dumb reviewer!! It is the sharpest lens I have ever owned!!

-Larry

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 19:49 »

-sharpness
-precision in focusing
-crhomatic aberations?

tnx!

- Sharpness is good, at the extreme borders it's soft (on FF)
- Precision in focusing is extremely good (I was shooting in a bar with ISO3200 and I have very very few images out of focus)
- CA's are the worse. You need to shoot raw to eliminate the CA effect. The good news is that ACR corrects prefectly.
Also color reproduction and contrast is very good.

Mine makes a weird sound when the IS starts and stops. It sounds like the aperture test (when you press the left-down button near the lens on a Canon body) I read on forums that it's normal. I believe the IS works perfectly. 1/10 it's no problem since I'm used with non IS lenses and IF the subject doesn't moves, the image is sharp in 90% of the cases.

Important, users with APS-C sensor may find not so useful at the wide end!!!

RacePhoto

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 00:29 »
I have this lens, I bought it from B&H paid $1049.00 and worth every penny! I love it.

Here is a good review of this lens and bookmark the site. The tester knows what he is talking about!!

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/188-canon-ef-24-105mm-f4-usm-l-is-lab-test-report--review

I have had a rejection for "over sharpening" and I did not sharpen the image!! Dumb reviewer!! It is the sharpest lens I have ever owned!!

-Larry

I can assume you have never owned the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro then?  ;D Sometimes described as an "L" lens masquerading as a standard lens.

Put me on the list of people who "needs" the 24-105 to replace my 28-135 as a general walkabout lens. Only criticism has been CA around the edges, some distortion, wide open at 24mm. I can live with that for the zoom range it offers. Some people have gotten less than perfect copies, which goes back to factory QC, not the lens itself. I've never owned one of the out of standards Canon lenses, but ever lens review I've read, it seems that now and then someone will get one.

Many people comment that it's sharper and lighter than their 24-70.

I see people buying the kit and selling the lens, for more than it cost them. Another place to look for good deals on used equipment is FM Forums. After that, I usually buy new from B&H who has consistently very low prices. ($959 free shipping) If you're a fan of Andorama, substitute their name in the previous sentence. These are the two sites that are very professional and work on short margins.

Bought my last lens, a Canon 100-400, locally for more, because I'd like the place to stay in business. It's my small contribution.

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 07:19 »

-Larry

I can assume you have never owned the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro then?  ;D Sometimes described as an "L" lens masquerading as a standard lens.

Put me on the list of people who "needs" the 24-105 to replace my 28-135 as a general walkabout lens. Only criticism has been CA around the edges, some distortion, wide open at 24mm. I can live with that for the zoom range it offers. Some people have gotten less than perfect copies, which goes back to factory QC, not the lens itself. I've never owned one of the out of standards Canon lenses, but ever lens review I've read, it seems that now and then someone will get one.

Many people comment that it's sharper and lighter than their 24-70.

I see people buying the kit and selling the lens, for more than it cost them. Another place to look for good deals on used equipment is FM Forums. After that, I usually buy new from B&H who has consistently very low prices. ($959 free shipping) If you're a fan of Andorama, substitute their name in the previous sentence. These are the two sites that are very professional and work on short margins.

Bought my last lens, a Canon 100-400, locally for more, because I'd like the place to stay in business. It's my small contribution.

I should have stated it is the sharpest ZOOM lens I ever owned.

Never tried the 100mm 2.8 macro,

-Larry

RacePhoto

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 14:28 »
I should have stated it is the sharpest ZOOM lens I ever owned.

Never tried the 100mm 2.8 macro,

-Larry

I hope I put enough  :D s in that, I was just pulling your leg.

I had a 70-200 f/2.8 and it was amazing, bright and sharp. Now I read that the 70-200  f/4 is actually sharper? The 24-105 should be my next lens, but it may not be. I have a 400mm f/5.6 on the wish list and that may win the race. Still intrigued by the 70-200 f/4. Meanwhile, the 24-105 would be most useful for all the things that others have said here. Good range, good size, good quality, if I had to pack only one lens for walking around, that would be it.