pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Managing images on multiple sites  (Read 27674 times)

« on: January 19, 2009, 13:10 »
I started doing microstock this past March.  I had several years worth of photos that I could upload that had not been taken with stock in mind, but felt they could still be used.  I am still going through all my photos, but have processed over 800 of them thus far.  After being accepted to my first site and doing pretty decent, I decided to try other sites.  I got a bit frustrated because each site has different uploading policies.  Some are unlimited, some are based on your acceptance percentange, etc.  I found that I couldn't get everything uploaded to each site in the same timely fashion, and the review times also varied.  So, I went back to just using the one site. 
Now I am back to trying to use the multiple sites, but was having a hard time figuring out how to keep track of which pictures have already been submitted/rejected/accepted so that I'm not duplicating or missing any pictures.   Most people seem to keep track with a spreadsheet, but that seemed time consuming.
With such a large database of pictures to work with already, I was overwhelmed.  Until yesterday.
I was on Yuri Acurs site reading about his keywording program and I saw someone had mentioned Cushy Stock.  Not knowing what it was, I looked it up.  It's a program that does it all!  Organizes, keywords, and does FTP!  There is a free version, but I chose to just buy the program and so far I am thrilled with it!  I put all 800+ pictures into one folder and let it scan the folder.  I entered all my login information for every microstock site I belong to, and then I tested out one photo.......first I added a title, description, and key words.  Then I marked it ready to upload for each site, and then told it to upload.  I sat and watched it log on to every site and upload the picture to each one.  Then I went back to each site and finished the process of adding categories and doing the final submit.  Now when I click on that picture, it shows that it's pending for each site.  And the pictures that I've already uploaded can be marked as either accepted, rejected, or pending. 
Why aren't more people using this program or talking about it?  It's going to save me a ton of time!  Granted, I still have lots of work to do, but I am just amazed at how much help this program is going to be to me.  For once, I can't wait to get home tonight and start working on my stock stuff.

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 13:29 »
Cushy Stock, in my opinion, is superfluous once you've thought about how you want to go about making money in this industry.
Using it would not save me any time at all.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 14:19 »
Cushy Stock, in my opinion, is superfluous once you've thought about how you want to go about making money in this industry.
Using it would not save me any time at all.

What would be a better way?  How do you keep track of what you've uploaded to each site?  I keep hearing people say they use Excel spreadsheets to keep track.  I tried that and it was the biggest pain in the you-know-what.  If there is a better way, I would love to hear it because so far, Cushy Stock seems to be a lifesaver for me...especially since I can keyword AND ftp everything with one program.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 16:08 »
Here's how I do it:

I have a folder for each agency, and sub-folders in each named Next Upload, Uploaded, Online, Offline, and Releases. I use unique folders for each agency so that I can accomodate the differences in image size between agencies (e.g. XL size on IS is not the same as XL size on FT, SS only gets 4MP images, ...).

I typically upload in batches of 10, and do this by simply moving the images I want to upload from the root of the folder to the Next Upload sub-folder. I then open an FTP connection by clicking on the My Documents folder and copying/pasting the ftp address of the site (e.g. ftp://ftp.shutterstock.com). I upload the images by copying/pasting from the Next Upload sub-folder to the just-opened ftp folder. Once uploading has finished I log on to the site and add categories, releases, etc. I then move the images from the Next Upload subfolder to the Uploaded folder and change the file modification date to the current date (to make it easy to tell at a glance when the image was uploaded). Once an image is approved/rejected it gets moved to either the Online or Offline sub-folder. I make a habit of regularly visiting Offline folders to see if anything worthwhile is in them.

That's it. Simple Simon, no additional software, spreadsheet, or maintenance required. Using this method simplifies management, too - I can quickly see the status of my various portfolios by simply opening up folders and looking at the thumbnails in them, sorted by either Name or Modified.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 16:14 by sharply_done »

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 16:55 »
I am one with the Excel spreadsheet, one tab per type of subject.  It depends on what you want to track, I guess.  I track edition process, submissions/acceptance/rejections for each image, number of downloads for each image, ELs appear as comments (not very practical), total downloads of each image.  Then in one sheet I track sales in each site per month. At first I only put monthly totals in each site, later I started detailing earnings as something like "=6*0.31+8*0.35+3*1.05" so I can visualize also how sales are happening in each site (subs, sizes).

Regards,
Adelaide

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 17:25 »
Here's how I do it:

I have a folder for each agency, and sub-folders in each named Next Upload, Uploaded, Online, Offline, and Releases. I use unique folders for each agency so that I can accomodate the differences in image size between agencies (e.g. XL size on IS is not the same as XL size on FT, SS only gets 4MP images, ...).

I typically upload in batches of 10, and do this by simply moving the images I want to upload from the root of the folder to the Next Upload sub-folder. I then open an FTP connection by clicking on the My Documents folder and copying/pasting the ftp address of the site (e.g. ftp://ftp.shutterstock.com). I upload the images by copying/pasting from the Next Upload sub-folder to the just-opened ftp folder. Once uploading has finished I log on to the site and add categories, releases, etc. I then move the images from the Next Upload subfolder to the Uploaded folder and change the file modification date to the current date (to make it easy to tell at a glance when the image was uploaded). Once an image is approved/rejected it gets moved to either the Online or Offline sub-folder. I make a habit of regularly visiting Offline folders to see if anything worthwhile is in them.

That's it. Simple Simon, no additional software, spreadsheet, or maintenance required. Using this method simplifies management, too - I can quickly see the status of my various portfolios by simply opening up folders and looking at the thumbnails in them, sorted by either Name or Modified.

Thank you for sharing your workflow.  I was doing something very similar before.  I had folders for each agency with subfolders of new uploads (pictures ready to be uploaded), pending, accepted, and rejected.  But this meant that I had six copies of the same picture on my hard drive and I had to manage each folder separately.  I don't vary the size of my files so each site gets the same exact picture.  But I found all of this a lot of work!
With Cushy Stock, everything is managed within the one program so I don't have to key word in one program and ftp in another and track everything in another.  At any time, can see what has been uploaded/accepted/rejected by either clicking on the agency (to see what I have at that site) or click on a particular picture to see the status of it on each site.  Plus, it organizes all the photos by category so I can easily look for specific pictures by looking in that category's folder or by searching the keywords that I entered.
I know everyone has their own way of doing things, I just feel like this one is really going to work for my style.  It just makes things so much easier for me.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 17:31 »
I am one with the Excel spreadsheet, one tab per type of subject.  It depends on what you want to track, I guess.  I track edition process, submissions/acceptance/rejections for each image, number of downloads for each image, ELs appear as comments (not very practical), total downloads of each image.  Then in one sheet I track sales in each site per month. At first I only put monthly totals in each site, later I started detailing earnings as something like "=6*0.31+8*0.35+3*1.05" so I can visualize also how sales are happening in each site (subs, sizes).

Regards,
Adelaide
Right now I'm just trying to keep track of which site has had a particular picture uploaded/accepted/rejected.  I have 800+ photos and I can't remember which sites have gotten what. 
I know the program I bought will track sales, but I haven't seen it in action yet to know how detailed it gets. 
Mostly I'm just excited to have a program that's going to do everything....organize, keyword, ftp, etc. 
BTW, have you seen the keywording program that Yuri Arcurs has on his site?  I just found that yesterday, too, and between that and Cushy Stock, my workflow just got a lot faster!

lisafx

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 17:49 »
I upload the same images to all my sites at one time.  I don't bother keeping track of who accepts what.  For the most part I have the same images on all the micros, so it doesn't matter to me if the odd one is accepted here and rejected there. 

For starting out with a large number of files to upload, though, not knowing what is where and having to go back and reupload to various sites,  cushy stock sounds like a great solution!  :)

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 17:56 »
I upload the same images to all my sites at one time.  I don't bother keeping track of who accepts what.  For the most part I have the same images on all the micros, so it doesn't matter to me if the odd one is accepted here and rejected there. 

For starting out with a large number of files to upload, though, not knowing what is where and having to go back and reupload to various sites,  cushy stock sounds like a great solution!  :)
The trouble I found, even in the beginning, is that I had more images to upload than some sites allow.  IS only allows me 15 a week.  I have a full-time day job, but even in my spare time I can produce and upload a lot more than 15 a week.
I may change to a different system someday if I outgrow this one.  But for now, it's my knight in shining armor.  ;D

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 19:55 »
Right now I'm just trying to keep track of which site has had a particular picture uploaded/accepted/rejected. 

This is easy with a spreadsheet and I do that in mine.  File names in rows, site names in columns. Squeeze columns so the crossings look like squares (just for easier view).  On each crossing, paint the cell yellow for submitted not yet reviewed, green for accepted, red for rejected, leave it blank for not submitted.

Regards,
Adelaide

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 20:10 »
There is also Prostockmaster

http://www.prostockmaster.com/

I haven't tried cushystock but it sounds similar.

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 22:55 »
Right now I'm just trying to keep track of which site has had a particular picture uploaded/accepted/rejected. 

This is easy with a spreadsheet and I do that in mine.  File names in rows, site names in columns. Squeeze columns so the crossings look like squares (just for easier view).  On each crossing, paint the cell yellow for submitted not yet reviewed, green for accepted, red for rejected, leave it blank for not submitted.

Regards,
Adelaide
I tried the spreadsheet way, but it just wasn't working for me.  Too complicated to figure out which picture belongs to which file name.

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 22:57 »
There is also Prostockmaster

http://www.prostockmaster.com/

I haven't tried cushystock but it sounds similar.

I briefly looked at that one before I bought Cushy Stock.  The deciding factor was just visual appeal.  I liked the way Cushy Stock looked.  Can't say if it's better or not since I haven't tried PSM.

michealo

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 06:14 »
You have 4 files online on iStock, do you really need this a complicated system to track your portfolio?

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 08:22 »
With such a large database of pictures to work with already, I was overwhelmed.  Until yesterday.
I was on Yuri Acurs site reading about his keywording program and I saw someone had mentioned Cushy Stock.  Not knowing what it was, I looked it up.  It's a program that does it all!  Organizes, keywords, and does FTP!  ...   For once, I can't wait to get home tonight and start working on my stock stuff.

Are you employed by Cushy Stock? I'm writing commercials myself. I know one when I see one.

You can easily upload to multiple sites for free by Filezilla. Just use the site manager.
You can easily tag your pictures in batch by the free Irfanview.
To keep track of what you've uploaded or not, just work in small batches, one by one. There is a great organizer for that. It's called the Windows file manager.

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 08:29 »
You have 4 files online on iStock, do you really need this a complicated system to track your portfolio?

His portfolio link is invisible or he removed it. Unless he puts up a link to his large port he needs to manage, I have the feeling this is an infomercial for Cushy Stock.

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 08:40 »
I find that placing all my files ready for submission in a submit file, than uploading to all sites from there easiest for me. Once all are done, I then move them to another folder named Istock submit since I can only upload 20 per week there. After all have been uploaded there, I move them to my Microstock folder divided into subject folders. I don't pay attention to what site rejects or accepts. what gets rejected at some are accepted at others. This seems to me the least time consuming method for me.

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 09:10 »
His portfolio link is invisible or he removed it. Unless he puts up a link to his large port he needs to manage, I have the feeling this is an infomercial for Cushy Stock.

Wow, are you ever conspiracy-minded!
Although her portfolio is small, you can be sure she's a real person and not a Cushy Stock employee (just Google "Paula Cobleigh" shutterstock, "Paula Cobleigh" dreamstime, ... to see for yourself ) .
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:32 by sharply_done »

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 14:18 »

If you read my original post, it says I tried several sites, but have only concentrated on one after my initial frustration with the different processes.  iStock is not the site I concentrated on, so the four files you see there are from early last year.  Try looking at my SS account and you'll see I have 368 images in my gallery. http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?gallery_id=190231&id=190231&sort_method=popular&rows_per_page=25&thumb_size=small  I have a total of 803 processed images thus far, which I think definitely warrants wanting a program to keep it all organized.

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 14:38 »
I was on Yuri Acurs site reading about his keywording program and I saw someone had mentioned Cushy Stock.  Not knowing what it was, I looked it up.  It's a program that does it all!  Organizes, keywords, and does FTP!  ...   For once, I can't wait to get home tonight and start working on my stock stuff.

Are you employed by Cushy Stock? I'm writing commercials myself. I know one when I see one.

You can easily upload to multiple sites for free by Filezilla. Just use the site manager.
You can easily tag your pictures in batch by the free Irfanview.
To keep track of what you've uploaded or not, just work in small batches, one by one. There is a great organizer for that. It's called the Windows file manager.

I am not employed by Cushy Stock and had never even heard about their program before this past Sunday when I read a reply by "Todd" http://www.arcurs.com/easy-keywording who said, "Tools like Yuris keywording utility along with Cushy Stock are a huge asset to my daily workflow."  I immediately googled Cushy Stock to see what it was because I'd never heard about it.
My whole reason for starting this thread is I was wondering why more people aren't using programs like this or why they don't talk about them?  As someone who is somewhat new to microstock, I wish I'd had this program from the get-go.  Maybe everyone else likes to use separate programs for everything, but I like being able to use just one.  This program is going to save me heaps of time and I figured other newbies would appreciate knowing about it, too.
But I also started this thread hoping to find out WHY other people don't use it....as in, is there an even better way?  So far, the reponses I have gotten haven't told me any reason why I should do differently.
Again, I am not employed by Cushy Stock.  I am not gaining ANYTHING by telling other people about this program.  I paid for the full-version of the program on Sunday with my credit card. 

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 14:49 »

BTW, I am a SHE, not a HE...as in Paula Cobleigh.  As I said to michealo, iStock is not where I have all my photos.  It's Shutterstock.  http://www.shutterstock.com/gallery.mhtml?id=190231 368 files accepted so far.  I am also on Fotolia, iStock, Dreamstime, BigStock, and 123RF....but I haven't done anything on them since last year except for very recently.  I have 803 processed pictures and am still going through past pictures looking for stuff that would get accepted as stock, as well as taking new pictures.
You can also see my personal website www.paulacobleigh.com where you can see what I look like by clicking on the "About the Photographer" button. 
I believe in word of mouth.  If I find something that I think would be helpful to others, I tell people about it.  I get nothing out of it but the satisfaction that I am trying to be a good person who tries to help others from time to time.

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 14:51 »
I find that placing all my files ready for submission in a submit file, than uploading to all sites from there easiest for me. Once all are done, I then move them to another folder named Istock submit since I can only upload 20 per week there. After all have been uploaded there, I move them to my Microstock folder divided into subject folders. I don't pay attention to what site rejects or accepts. what gets rejected at some are accepted at others. This seems to me the least time consuming method for me.
Thank you for sharing your method.  Hopefully, people looking for a way to manage their pictures will look at the way everyone does it and find the way that best suits them.

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 14:58 »

Wow, are you ever conspiracy-minded!
Although her portfolio is small, you can be sure she's a real person and not a Cushy Stock employee (just Google "Paula Cobleigh" shutterstock, "Paula Cobleigh" dreamstime, ... to see for yourself ) .

Thank you.  Yes, I am on 6 microstock sites, although SS is where I have the most.  I also have my own personal website www.paulacobleigh.com with a picture of me on it.  I am a real person.  I'm not a Cushy Stock employee.  I was just trying to accomplish a few things.  I figured if I talked about Cushy Stock, I would hopefully get some feedback from people as to a.) whether it's a good program or not b.)whether there is a better way...and c.) to let newbies who are struggling know about it because from my few days of experience with it, it's a lifesaver for me. 
I see that most people are doing things basically the way I was doing it.  Nothing wrong with that.  I was just curious why more people don't use a program like this.  So far, the only thing I wish this program did was track the pictures that I already submitted.  I am slowly going through and marking them manually for each website (SS being the most time consuming).  Once I am done, I can look at any picture and see where it's been uploaded and see who accepted or rejected it. 

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 16:55 »
I see that most people are doing things basically the way I was doing it.  Nothing wrong with that.  I was just curious why more people don't use a program like this.  So far, the only thing I wish this program did was track the pictures that I already submitted.  I am slowly going through and marking them manually for each website (SS being the most time consuming).  Once I am done, I can look at any picture and see where it's been uploaded and see who accepted or rejected it. 

No probs, I knew you were just looking to share your experience with software that's helped you out a lot. I responded just to let you know how I do things. As you said, to each his/her own.

If you're looking to track sales down to the image level, you may want to check out lookstat. They're currently in beta, so it won't cost you anything. Here's a recent thread about it. They advertise on this site, so if you don't currently see their ad, just hit the refresh button and you will.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 16:59 by sharply_done »

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 18:14 »
I am new at stock too and that also only for a few months. So there's lots and lots to learn!
I do agree with Paula about Cushystock.
I found myself in the same trouble!
When I read this: http://www.perrush.be/SYF_micro_E_1.html, it was the first time I even heard about microstock and that also non-professional photographers could get into that world. (You are now asking yourself in what cave I have lived? Well laugh loudly if you wish! ;D) Off course I knew about Getty's and so, but details about it lay far over my horizon.
So I found also this site, read and read and read and started with making photo's ready for upload and registering to a few sites. I am not familiar with Excel and then I found Cushystock.
Because I am from the Netherlands and there was no translation. I translated it and get a license key for free. What I found a friendly geste (or is it gesture? excuse for my bad english!) from Alex Bakulin, who is the maker.
The program is new (not even version 2) and the maker is doing hard work on it and likes to get reports about problems and bugs that are found and suggestions to make it a better program.
I am not payed by him too, by the way, but sometimes corresponding by e-mail about troubles I found!  ;D
As far as I can see, it is a program with potention. If more people start using it and are going to report bugs, it will become a better program for me too, so it is part selfinterest so to say... ;)
I read about Lookstat too, but I also read that people don't like to get all their personal info on a website. Don't know if they are right and if it really works that way, I didn't try it myself.
And you can simply translate Cushy in your own language when that works best for you. (and get a license key if you send the translation to them if this language is not already translated ;D.)
Reading this site for months and learning a lot, I will even do in the future and hope and expect to learn a lot more! At least it is good for my english! :D
Thank you all for sharing your experience...One day I hope to reach a level to do the same for others.