pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: major milestone  (Read 6621 times)

« on: February 28, 2009, 18:57 »
Yesterday I passed a major milestone. I passed the $1000 US dollar earnings mark for a single month, on the shortest month of the year with a day to go. Here's to many more!
When I started this whole thing, I thought it was a fun hobby, and could never have dreamed it would go as well as it has. My friends aren't laughing anymore.

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 19:15 »
congrats, that is an exciting number to reach.

I remember not too long ago, when telling people what i did for a living, being shy sharing which sites I sell my photos on.  Now that I am actually making a decent income from it, it makes it a bit easier.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 19:46 »
Way to go ... keep up the good work!

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 19:58 »
Thanks both of you. It makes me excited to upload more.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 20:32 »
Well done wollworth, that's no mean feat. Especially with the growing number of contributors in microstock. I get the impression from reading different forums / polls, that a large number of microstock contributors don't earn anywhere near that amount.

Is Shutterstock the only site you sell on? If so, earning $1k is very impressive  :)

m@m

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 20:40 »
Impressive wollwerth, great job, Congratulations!!!

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 23:28 »
Well done wollworth, that's no mean feat. Especially with the growing number of contributors in microstock. I get the impression from reading different forums / polls, that a large number of microstock contributors don't earn anywhere near that amount.

Is Shutterstock the only site you sell on? If so, earning $1k is very impressive  :)

I sell on shutterstock, dreamstime, fotolia, stockxpert, istock, bsphoto, and 123rf, but generally only the first three have any appreciable earnings.

tan510jomast

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 11:24 »
awesome! congrats!
so what have you got to tell a newbie like me? will be one year in a couple of months? what propelled your hobby into something possible to earning a living? was it a change in types of images you shoot for stock; the time you spent; etc..?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 11:27 by tan510jomast »

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 11:32 »
Congratulations! How long did you need to reach the $1000/month milestone?

I crossed $500/month line in February after 15 months in microstock.

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 13:04 »
wow thats fantastic id be lucky if I make $100/month on microstock. Very jeaous lol

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 14:02 »
wow, that is really impressive in this economy!! I am lucky if I make $100/month.
Do you mind sharing with us how large is your portfolio, are you exclusive with all or non exclusive, same portolio? and how long you have been doing stock photography.

thanks

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 14:23 »
Congrats, wollwerth.  And to higher earnings! 

Regards,
Adelaide

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 14:35 »
Congrats!  YAY!

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 22:56 »
Congratulations! How long did you need to reach the $1000/month milestone?

I crossed $500/month line in February after 15 months in microstock.

I started with shutterstock in May of 2005, but didn't take it really seriously until about a year and a half or two years later.

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 22:59 »
awesome! congrats!
so what have you got to tell a newbie like me? will be one year in a couple of months? what propelled your hobby into something possible to earning a living? was it a change in types of images you shoot for stock; the time you spent; etc..?
Work on a high quality portfolio. You can have a large portfolio full of trash, but if you work out your earnings for something like that, you might as well be flipping burgers for a living.
It went from a hobby to part of my living when I became a full time photographer. Instead of sitting around when business was slow, I used the time to create and upload stock images. I still do that now. When things are busy, I don't send in stock, like now when weddings are getting going. When things are slow, I come up with concepts, or go through usable images from previous jobs.

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 23:01 »
wow, that is really impressive in this economy!! I am lucky if I make $100/month.
Do you mind sharing with us how large is your portfolio, are you exclusive with all or non exclusive, same portolio? and how long you have been doing stock photography.

thanks
I have some exclusive images with dt and ft, but mostly it's nonexclusive. My portfolio ranges from about 500 images with StockXpert to over 1000 on dt and ss.

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 02:26 »

Well done man! this is one of my goals by mid this year also...

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 03:57 »
Congratulations. That's a great milestone. And satisfying too.

tan510jomast

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 12:34 »
awesome! congrats!
Work on a high quality portfolio. You can have a large portfolio full of trash, but if you work out your earnings for something like that, you might as well be flipping burgers for a living.
It went from a hobby to part of my living when I became a full time photographer. Instead of sitting around when business was slow, I used the time to create and upload stock images. I still do that now. When things are busy, I don't send in stock, like now when weddings are getting going. When things are slow, I come up with concepts, or go through usable images from previous jobs.

wise words. you are right, during the winter when my freelance comm.phtg work is slow i tended to just laze around the flat sipping my guinness or run down to the local. instead, i should have been working on my little portfolio.   and i like the idea of concepts too, i started doing that a couple of months ago. it gives more direction to motivate your muse. cheers , and congrats once again ! have a keg of guinness sent over to my flat in halifax NS next time you receive your 1K cheque, will ya?   ;).

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 17:12 »
awesome! congrats!

wise words. you are right, during the winter when my freelance comm.phtg work is slow i tended to just laze around the flat sipping my guinness or run down to the local. instead, i should have been working on my little portfolio.   and i like the idea of concepts too, i started doing that a couple of months ago. it gives more direction to motivate your muse. cheers , and congrats once again ! have a keg of guinness sent over to my flat in halifax NS next time you receive your 1K cheque, will ya?   ;).
At least take a picture of your guinness before you down it, then upload it.