MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Starting over  (Read 17063 times)

« on: March 02, 2009, 16:00 »
I am having to start all over getting my camera equipment.  Our house was robbed last week and all of my gear was taken.  ALL of it.  How convenient of me to store it all in a easy-to-take backpack.  Grrrrrrr! 

I will get some money, but not all, for my camera equipment because they consider it "business property" and only cover up to $1000.  Double grrrrr!  Note to others...if you ever have your stuff stolen, NEVER tell them you make any money using it!

I also had some jewelry stolen, so I will be getting money from the insurance for that.  Of course, I will not buy more jewelry with the money and just add it to my camera fund.

I was already planning on buying the Canon 5D Mark II when I get my tax refund back, so now I will have to buy all the rest.  I know for stock, I don't need a battery grip, but I also do landscape photography and would like to do star trails so I need the battery grip for that...so I'll be getting one of those along with at least one extra battery and more when I can afford them.

After that, the 580EX II flash is on my list, since the camera doesn't come with a flash.  I have 3 soft boxes for my studio, so I think I'll be okay with lighting.

And lastly.....a lens.  I am thinking of the 28-300mm f/3.5-4.6L IS USM.  It will have wide angle and good zoom.  I hate to spend THAT much money on a lens.  I wish it had wider aperature and that it didn't have push/pull zoom.  Do you think it would be possible for them to someday make ONE perfect lens that fits every need?  Probably not, but one can click their heels and pray to the camera gods in the hopes that it could come true.

So, how does that sound?

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 16:14 »
Wow, sorry to here about that. I think the 5DII will take you a long ways however I'd get the kit lens,, 24-105. It's very good and the extra speed and
quality are better than the extra length.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 16:56 »
Yeah, getting robbed is never fun.  >:(
Thanks for the link.  I like Yuri's site.  I've really been researching lenses, but you never know how you'll like them until you start using them. 

I'm really sorry about this. We got hit by burglars at the office last year and it totally sucks.

Thought this post might be of use:

http://www.arcurs.com/gear-i-regret-buying-and-things-i-really-love

Cheers,

Rahul

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 16:59 »
Wow, sorry to here about that. I think the 5DII will take you a long ways however I'd get the kit lens,, 24-105. It's very good and the extra speed and

I really wrestled with trying to decide on a body.  My original camera was only a 400D, so the 5DII will be a big jump for me.  But I think it will do me for a good long time so I won't have to upgrade so soon.
I don't think the kit lens is really what I'm looking for.  I need wide and I also need zoom.  Previously I had the 17-40mm f/4L and the Sigma 70-300mm macro.  I wasn't happy with the quality of the Sigma, so I'd definitely want better than that. 

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 17:23 »

And lastly.....a lens.  I am thinking of the 28-300mm f/3.5-4.6L IS USM.  It will have wide angle and good zoom. 

So, how does that sound?

Awful! That lens is way too big & heavy for every day use __ in fact it's not much good for anything in my view.

I have 8 L glass lenses but use the 24-70 f2.8L for about 95% of all shots I take. Nothing comes close it as a 'general use' lens. If I had to have only one lens then that would be it.

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 17:31 »
Sorry to hear that...  >:(

I will get some money, but not all, for my camera equipment because they consider it "business property" and only cover up to $1000.  Double grrrrr!  Note to others...if you ever have your stuff stolen, NEVER tell them you make any money using it!

When I renewed my insurances last fall, I did mention to them that I had some revenue from my photos.  So yes, I had to insure my equipment... But the good thing is that it cost me 28$/year to insure all my equipment (5 000$).  So it might worth to ask!

That said, try to focus on all the new stuff you HAVE to buy  ;)

Claude

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 17:47 »
The 28-300mm f/3.5-4.6L IS USM lens is a bad choice! Hire a strong person to carry it for you!  ;D

I personally love the 24-105 IS Lens as a carry everywhere lens.

Sorry for your loss as I had a house and a studio burn to the ground and lost everything both times. (five years apart)

-Larry

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 17:51 »
My original camera was only a 400D

::) That one is expected by the summer, if not later. It's a mythical cam.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 18:02 »
Most of my photography work is done on a tripod, so weight doesn't matter as much...besides, then I can count my photography work in with my weight training! lol!
All seriousness, though, I had a wide angle and a zoom/macro that were my main lenses.  Perhaps getting two separate lenses like I had before would be best. 
If only I had unlimited money to buy ALL the lenses!  :P

Awful! That lens is way too big & heavy for every day use __ in fact it's not much good for anything in my view.

I have 8 L glass lenses but use the 24-70 f2.8L for about 95% of all shots I take. Nothing comes close it as a 'general use' lens. If I had to have only one lens then that would be it.

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 18:07 »
They won't let me just up the amount for my camera equipment....I need separate "business" insurance, which is more because it includes liability.  $225/yr.
Trust me, I am definitely focusing on the buying process.....no sense on focusing on anything else!  :D

Sorry to hear that...  >:(

When I renewed my insurances last fall, I did mention to them that I had some revenue from my photos.  So yes, I had to insure my equipment... But the good thing is that it cost me 28$/year to insure all my equipment (5 000$).  So it might worth to ask!

That said, try to focus on all the new stuff you HAVE to buy  ;)

Claude

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 18:12 »
I normally hike with ALL my camera gear in a backpack, which is quite heavy so I am used to the weight.  A lot of times I have books and magazines stuffed in there, too! lol!
But perhaps it would be better for me to get something like I had before, which was a 17-40mm and a 70-300mm.  I also had the 50mm 1.4 and the 18-55 kit lens, but those weren't used as much.
Ooh, fire...my biggest fear.  You lose irreplaceable things that theives don't want...like things your kid made for you or deceased parent left or family pictures, etc.  That sucks.  :'(

The 28-300mm f/3.5-4.6L IS USM lens is a bad choice! Hire a strong person to carry it for you!  ;D

Sorry for your loss as I had a house and a studio burn to the ground and lost everything both times. (five years apart)

-Larry

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 18:13 »
Hmmm...push the ignore button or respond? lol!   Some models came with a unicorn-type horn on them to fight theives off with.  ;D

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 19:29 »

It's that the one I have? A.k.a. XTi?

Regards,
Adelaide

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 04:05 »
Paul,
I have the 28-300mm f/3.5-4.6L IS USM. I use it on a tripod, and have had loads of pictures taken at the 300 end accepted for stock.
Previously I had the Sigma equivalent, and it was useless for stock.
Try to buy the 5d with the kit lens. It is a great walk round lens.

zymmetricaldotcom

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 05:14 »
I am having to start all over getting my camera equipment.  Our house was robbed last week and all of my gear was taken.  ALL of it.  How convenient of me to store it all in a easy-to-take backpack.  Grrrrrrr!

And lastly.....a lens.  I am thinking of the 28-300mm f/3.5-4.6L IS USM.  It will have wide angle and good zoom.  I hate to spend THAT much money on a lens.  I wish it had wider aperature and that it didn't have push/pull zoom.  Do you think it would be possible for them to someday make ONE perfect lens that fits every need?  Probably not, but one can click their heels and pray to the camera gods in the hopes that it could come true.

So, how does that sound?

Sounds like you forgot: a German Shepherd. :)

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 12:17 »
Canon Rebel XTi EOS 400D.  Too many names for the same camera!

It's that the one I have? A.k.a. XTi?

Regards,
Adelaide

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 12:22 »
I think what I am going to do is get the 17-40mm f/4L again (loved that lens) and perhaps the 70-200 f/4L IS with either a 1.4x or 2x extender.  And later I'll get my 50mm f/1.4 I had.  I need the wide angle for my waterfalls and landscapes and I need the telephoto for nature/animals.  The 50mm is a good portrait lens.  I can do all my stock with those lenses.  I had the Sigma 70-300mm macro, and I got pictures accepted, but they weren't as sharp as I wanted.
Paula

Paul,
I have the 28-300mm f/3.5-4.6L IS USM. I use it on a tripod, and have had loads of pictures taken at the 300 end accepted for stock.
Previously I had the Sigma equivalent, and it was useless for stock.
Try to buy the 5d with the kit lens. It is a great walk round lens.

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 12:23 »

So, how does that sound?

Sounds like you forgot: a German Shepherd. :)

I have allergies.  Guess I'll have to get another Boa or Python....or maybe a mozambique spitting cobra would do the trick?  :D

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 12:36 »
I agree. I'd go with either the 24-105 IS L & 100-400 IS L combo, or the 24-70 f/2.8 L & 70-200 f/2.8 L combo.

lisafx

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 12:41 »

So sorry about your ordeal!  That is really scary.  More than the loss of your stuff is the sense of being violated.  We've been there. 

On the lens - DEFINITELY get the  24-105 kit lens.  It is really an amazing lens, and the kit deal is quite a bargain.  It is suitable for pretty much any stock-related shoot you want to do.   I paid full price ($1100+) for my 24-105 a year ago before it came as part of a kit and it was worth every dime. 

If you need more reach down the line you can always pay for a longer lens with the money the 24-105 earns you in microstock :)

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 12:53 »
Hmmm...push the ignore button or respond? lol!   Some models came with a unicorn-type horn on them to fight theives off with.  ;D

It's my fault sorry. I thought you meant the mythical Nikon D400. I'm a Canon illiterate ;-)

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 17:53 »

So sorry about your ordeal!  That is really scary.  More than the loss of your stuff is the sense of being violated.  We've been there. 

On the lens - DEFINITELY get the  24-105 kit lens.  It is really an amazing lens, and the kit deal is quite a bargain.  It is suitable for pretty much any stock-related shoot you want to do.   I paid full price ($1100+) for my 24-105 a year ago before it came as part of a kit and it was worth every dime. 

If you need more reach down the line you can always pay for a longer lens with the money the 24-105 earns you in microstock :)

Thanks.  Yeah, the whole robbery thing sucks.  And so does trying to deal with the insurance people and wondering when the #%*@ I'm going to get my $$.

I'm one of those people who will research and talk to people until I'm about ready to bleed out my ears and eyes before I make a major purchase.  I'm even weighing my options if I were to get a lesser body like the 40D or 5D.  If I bought the 40D, I'd have much more leftover for lenses.   But I want the 5D primarily for it's lack of noise at high ISO's and it's better dynamic range (for my landscape work).

Not that I believe things just because "Yuri" said it, but on his website, he says the 24-105 isn't very sharp.  http://www.arcurs.com/gear-i-regret-buying-and-things-i-really-love (#8)  Do you find that to be true in your experience with the lens?

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 17:54 »

It's my fault sorry. I thought you meant the mythical Nikon D400. I'm a Canon illiterate ;-)

It's okay....I just thought you were being your smart-alecky self.  :D

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 19:22 »
Not that I believe things just because "Yuri" said it, but on his website, he says the 24-105 isn't very sharp.  http://www.arcurs.com/gear-i-regret-buying-and-things-i-really-love (#8)  Do you find that to be true in your experience with the lens?

No. Here's the truth: Yuri is an absolute perfectionist. If you're like that you probably shouldn't own a zoom lens because prime lenses will almost always be sharper. That's said I own it and I love the 28-105L. It's a great all around lens that produces professional results as you would expect from an 'L' lens. If you're anal about absolute perfection then maybe the 28-70 f/2.8L and 70-200 f/2.8L combo would be better. I have owned all three, and though the 28-70 is somewhat sharper than the 28-105 wide open, it's not noticeable enough for me to care and the extra zoom on the 28-105 makes it my general use lens. I suppose if I was photographing a landscape shot of lions running across the plains in the early morning I'd want the extra f-stops, but I haven't encountered a situation where I regret switching to the 28-105. The only times I've needed/used a lens at f/2.8 has been with big glass photographing animals at dawn and dust.

I don't own the 100-400 L, but if I was buying new gear I'd probably go with the 28-105L and the 100-400L. It's a rare situation where I wish I had a lower f-stop, but for me it's relatively common to wish I had brought a lens with more reach (but big glass is so fing heavy to hike with).