pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: They disabled my account with(out) any notice  (Read 30673 times)

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 13:13 »
Not the first time this has happened, and probably not the last. It's difficult for a bystander to know who's at fault for the lockout, but SS' lack of communication in cases like this leaves me speechless every time. It's as if they are unable to understand that people are sometimes not guilty, in spite of what they think they've found. But since they are both police, judge and jury, they have the right to be right, every time, and whatever the truth may be.

Well, I got contact to SS finally. It looks like I missed their e-mail where they ask to respond to a copyright issue. I appologized for not having seen their email and asked them to put me back online again, if necessary without the trouble making photograph. Unfortunately untill now without any positive result. Guess I'll have to wait what they decide. :-\
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 13:45 by mark »

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2009, 14:19 »
glad you found out what the problem was.

I have a feeling you might have to prove the photo was yours... but I am not sure what the process is.

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2009, 15:49 »
Well, I got contact to SS finally. It looks like I missed their e-mail where they ask to respond to a copyright issue. I appologized for not having seen their email and asked them to put me back online again, if necessary without the trouble making photograph. Unfortunately untill now without any positive result. Guess I'll have to wait what Their Highnesses decide for me... to be or not to be online again :-\

So did you find what illustration caused the problem? And why? In my similar case it was "logo" of green punkt (recycle symbol) - i really didn't know, that it is a logo, I thought that it is just a common symbol... And the first email from Shutterstock I didnt get either.

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2009, 18:31 »
So did you find what illustration caused the problem? And why? In my similar case it was "logo" of green punkt (recycle symbol) - i really didn't know, that it is a logo, I thought that it is just a common symbol... And the first email from Shutterstock I didnt get either.

Hi Orson. Yes it's about an optical illusion graphic I constructed in Illustrator. It looks like someone claims it to be his/her copyright. But SS won't/can't tell me who or what is the exact claim here. After some searching at SS, I found some more graphics like mine in the SS database that appearently are no problem. Quite strange:

http://www.shutterstock.com/results.mhtml#photo_id=23246977

I'm sorry. Can't show mine... it's offline.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 18:39 by mark »

digiology

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2009, 22:10 »

OMG, that example just bugged my eyes out  :o How does someone even work on artwork like that without going crossed-eyed?

Good luck with SS. Hope it all works out for you.  :)

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2009, 01:32 »

Hi Orson. Yes it's about an optical illusion graphic I constructed in Illustrator. It looks like someone claims it to be his/her copyright. But SS won't/can't tell me who or what is the exact claim here. After some searching at SS, I found some more graphics like mine in the SS database that appearently are no problem. Quite strange:

Interesting -- a tineye search on that turns up 477 hits!  Good seller I guess.

c h e e r s
fred

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2009, 03:16 »

I remember seeing something that looks similar to this in a book years ago.  Can't remember the exact book but there are a series full of optical illusions.  Perhaps they hold the copyright and complained to SS?

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2009, 06:20 »
I remember seeing something that looks similar to this in a book years ago.  Can't remember the exact book but there are a series full of optical illusions.  Perhaps they hold the copyright and complained to SS?

That is possible. I already suggested to SS not to make a big issue about it and delete it from my gallery. Allthough I did the vector construction totally by myself, it's not worth any fuss.

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2009, 14:27 »
Mark, I guess your work was too similar to the illusion of Japanese Professor of Psychology Akiyoshi Kitaoka, who won the Gold prize of the 9th L'ORAL Art and Science of Color Prize, in 2006 in Tokyo with the similar image.
http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/~akitaoka/index-e.html

PS: Don't miss the warning on that page: This page contains some works of "anomalous motion illusion", which might make sensitive observers dizzy or sick. Should you feel dizzy, you had better leave this page immediately. :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 14:31 by maigi »

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2009, 15:19 »
Mark, I guess your work was too similar to the illusion of Japanese Professor of Psychology Akiyoshi Kitaoka, who won the Gold prize of the 9th L'ORAL Art and Science of Color Prize, in 2006 in Tokyo with the similar image.

PS: Don't miss the warning on that page: This page contains some works of "anomalous motion illusion", which might make sensitive observers dizzy or sick. Should you feel dizzy, you had better leave this page immediately. :)

Okay thank you Maigi. Didn't know about the professor story though. SS showed me the page also. It looks like this is the claimer at SS who claims all the official rights to this effect. SS should remove the image then. Too bad for the good vector quality I made...   ::)

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2009, 15:41 »
Did you checked his other works too? This guy is genius! I got too dizzy , but you might find a lot of inspiration there and think out your own original patterns. He has lots of great illusions. And there's a logic in there. No need to copy, but the inspiration is the thing you can definitely find. Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 15:57 by maigi »

DanP68

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2009, 23:14 »
'The cool thing about it is that I'm also willing to sign my real name to whatever it is I have to say.'; Mat, you are exclusive to Fotolia, and never said a bad thing against them, so it's not so cool to use your real name. I'm afraid I am forced to post as 'anonymous' instead - not a thing I usually do - after reading all that bad stories about accounts being closed, posts being deleted, threads being closed on the official Fotolia forum, and I don't wish to put at risk my hard work there.

This is a fair point.  Chad Bridwell threatened contributors on the Yahoo Micropayment group last year that anyone critical of Fotolia on a private forum such as MSG and Micropayment could have their accounts deleted without warning.  I don't blame anyone for wanting to maintain anonymity so that they can speak freely on sensitive subjects. 

Sorry Mat, but the company you moderate for has thrown down the gauntlet.  "Criticize us, anywhere or anytime, and we will close you down immediately."  So now we have an increasing amount of anonymous posters.  Doesn't seem fair to blame someone for maintaining anonymity when he/she is just reacting to agency threats.

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2009, 01:22 »
'The cool thing about it is that I'm also willing to sign my real name to whatever it is I have to say.'; Mat, you are exclusive to Fotolia, and never said a bad thing against them, so it's not so cool to use your real name. I'm afraid I am forced to post as 'anonymous' instead - not a thing I usually do - after reading all that bad stories about accounts being closed, posts being deleted, threads being closed on the official Fotolia forum, and I don't wish to put at risk my hard work there.

Dan, I just went through the Micropayment group archive and could not find the message you are paraphrasing.  Could you provide the exact quote or a link or reference that I could use to read the actual message.  Thanks and

c h e e r s
fred

This is a fair point.  Chad Bridwell threatened contributors on the Yahoo Micropayment group last year that anyone critical of Fotolia on a private forum such as MSG and Micropayment could have their accounts deleted without warning.  I don't blame anyone for wanting to maintain anonymity so that they can speak freely on sensitive subjects. 

Sorry Mat, but the company you moderate for has thrown down the gauntlet.  "Criticize us, anywhere or anytime, and we will close you down immediately."  So now we have an increasing amount of anonymous posters.  Doesn't seem fair to blame someone for maintaining anonymity when he/she is just reacting to agency threats.

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2009, 03:12 »
Did you checked his other works too? This guy is genius! I got too dizzy , but you might find a lot of inspiration there and think out your own original patterns. He has lots of great illusions. And there's a logic in there. No need to copy, but the inspiration is the thing you can definitely find. Good luck!

Haha, one thing I learned is not to get inspired by anyone anymore... you'll get deleted before you know it...  ;) ...after a few requests my SS gallery still won't be set back online... I give up here.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 03:20 by mark »

DanP68

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2009, 06:49 »
Fred,

From Chad Bridwell on June 13 2008:
In concern to the discussions happening in various forums, we believe the majority of these discussions are not constructive and organized by a few to cause riots in the community. We also believe there are those who seek after selfish means of popularity and personal gain. Such discussions are dangerous not only to Fotolia but the entire community because we know that many buyers read and research your words. We believe in free speech but we will not tolerate such discussions from people who benefit from Fotolia’s success by day and tear us down at night. We will not allow this to continue. If we believe a members actions or comments (on or off Fotolia) are detrimental to the growth of Fotolia we will not hesitate to take action and remove their account regardless of their rank or past success. 

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/micropayment/message/20539

Because of this we have an increase in anonymous posters.  And as you can clearly read above, Bridwell and Fotolia do not consider much of what we say to be "constructive."  So when Mat Hayward slinks his way on to this message board and complains about someone's anonymity, anyone who has been following this situation for the past year is probably going to rightfully tell Hayward where to stick his opinion.

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2009, 11:10 »
Fred,

From Chad Bridwell on June 13 2008:
In concern to the discussions happening in various forums, we believe the majority of these discussions are not constructive and organized by a few to cause riots in the community. We also believe there are those who seek after selfish means of popularity and personal gain. Such discussions are dangerous not only to Fotolia but the entire community because we know that many buyers read and research your words. We believe in free speech but we will not tolerate such discussions from people who benefit from Fotolias success by day and tear us down at night. We will not allow this to continue. If we believe a members actions or comments (on or off Fotolia) are detrimental to the growth of Fotolia we will not hesitate to take action and remove their account regardless of their rank or past success. 

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/micropayment/message/20539

Because of this we have an increase in anonymous posters.  And as you can clearly read above, Bridwell and Fotolia do not consider much of what we say to be "constructive."  So when Mat Hayward slinks his way on to this message board and complains about someone's anonymity, anyone who has been following this situation for the past year is probably going to rightfully tell Hayward where to stick his opinion.

Oh brother.  I think you think about me too much Dan. 

Mat

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2009, 17:29 »
Today I asked SS to set my account ready for payment of my latest earnings. I used to be able to do this myself, but they made it impossible for me by deleting my portfolio from SS.

The reaction I received at my request from SS:

You may not amend anything to your account until my investigation is complete.

Do not try to circumvent the process again.

I excused myself for my not being aware that I was subject of an investigation...

OMG; is this the way you treat a contributor or a criminal?  :o
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 17:33 by mark »

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2009, 17:55 »
Oh, Mark. Maybe you got too inspired from the work of somebody else beside Mr Kitaoka? and now you just have to wait, what they gonna decide. Yes it's really hard to find out where lies that fragile line between getting inspired and copying, if you have adventurous soul and you like to test limits. Sad, that you have to learn it in a hard way. Hope you solve it out. Let them know that you have learned your lesson, maybe that can soften the ground.

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2009, 18:02 »
Why do they then accept this photo:

which in your opinion is also a copy of:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 18:07 by mark »

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2009, 18:19 »
You are right and I have no idea... :-\

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2009, 13:40 »
Must be some investigation... still waiting for any sign of life

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2009, 20:21 »
Why do they then accept this photo:

which in your opinion is also a copy of:

Mark, I haven't seen your image, (the one they deleted) but when yours was similar to this one (which definitely should be deleted also IMO) then its a clear copyright violation!
Tracing an existing image with only minor alterations, is copyright theft!
If I where you I would go down on my knees and start begging to Shutterstock if they would please forgive the stupid mistake not reading the Submitter Terms of Service properly, and assure them it will never happen again!
Hopefully they will restore your portfolio!
And yes, they should delete that other one as well!

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2009, 13:30 »
Thanks Gregor.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 13:42 by mark »