pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: isyndica.com  (Read 27773 times)

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 09:09 »
Can ftp server upload actively as well, or can it just take requests? 

also, I'm testing out flashFXP, I'll let you know how it goes.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:11 by leaf »

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 09:17 »
can you use the filezilla server for regular ftp as well?  I didn't really get the difference between filezilla ftp and filezilla server.

The FTP server is different software that runs remotely on the server machine, and it accepts the commands from the FTP client on your local PC. The commands have a certain syntax and functionality (a protocol) that needs to be implemented by both the server and the client of course. That protocol is standardized (File Transfer Protocol) and it's even older than the HTTP protocol that gave us the web. SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) is also older. Email is older than the web, and so is FTP  :P

also, I'm testing out flashFXP, I'll let you know how it goes.

I just installed FlashFXP. It works on my own site. If it works on microstock sites, I'll have to find out on my next upload. But I'm going to do a small experiment on Mostphotos since it won't bother anybody there.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:50 by FlemishDreams »

WarrenPrice

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 09:52 »
Very interesting.  I'm wondering if I can use any of this.   My website is hosted by GoDaddy and built around WordPress.  I have a "folder" on the GoDaddy server that contains uploaded images used in my blogging and in a flash procedure that scrolls images on the home page.   

Most of that paragraph is probably only noise and confusion since I had someone do all the technical stuff and don't really know what I am talking about.  Can I build a folder to contain my "microstock" images on the GoDaddy server and transfer images from there to individual sites? 

I think that is what FlemishDreams is talking about?

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 10:21 »
Can I build a folder to contain my "microstock" images on the GoDaddy server and transfer images from there to individual sites?

Yes, that's what we were trying out now. You will have to make a folder on your site apart from the Wordpress one, because you will run into a serious security risk if you upload the images in one of your Wordpress folders. Anybody clever enough can download your original photos from there just from his browser.

You will need to access your remote folder system directly and create a folder outside your Wordpress install, and call it for instance "_uploads". Make sure to put an empty "index.html" in there first, or any hacker or lucky user will get a file list from there and can start downloading in his browser.

Then you need to upload your images in that folder by any FTP program. Of course you need to know your own FTP URL, user name and password. The Godaddy control panel can give you that.

Then install FlashFXP and you can transfer from your own host (folder "_uploads") to the microstock site and it will not be done on your PC but between the two FTP servers. So it doesn't cost you bandwidth and it will probably be much faster too since those servers are on a backbone, unlike your home connection. You can do the same for any microstock site. As a bonus, you have your own backup online.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 10:24 by FlemishDreams »

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2009, 19:20 »
FXP must be enabled on both FTP servers, which obviously includes the microstock agency FTP servers in this situation. Flemmish, have you successfully uploaded files with FXP before? I read that it opens some vulnerabilities, so I don't expect microstock agencies would have it enabled.

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2009, 21:55 »
FXP must be enabled on both FTP servers, which obviously includes the microstock agency FTP servers in this situation. Flemmish, have you successfully uploaded files with FXP before? I read that it opens some vulnerabilities, so I don't expect microstock agencies would have it enabled.

No, it didn't work on hostgator from my side. My server only wants to deal in and out with my own IP, obviously the IP that I logged in with. Perhaps it can be reconfigured since I put security and restrictions maximum after an incident. I didn't check the hostgator forum yet.

microstockphoto.co.uk

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 03:02 »

That's the problem actually. I tried FXP with all major microstock sites but it's NOT enabled.

We'd need a free or cheap FXP disguised as FTP; that's what iSyndica and PhotoShelter do, but it's way too dear in my opinion.

EDIT: I know it's an old thread but I searched and searched but the problem is still unsolved
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 03:04 by microstockphoto.co.uk »

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 05:34 »
I think its unsolved because most people have worked out that the time saving from using Isyndica rather than trying to faff around with all of the channels themselves is well worth the subscription prices they charge.

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 13:50 »
I think its unsolved because most people have worked out that the time saving from using Isyndica rather than trying to faff around with all of the channels themselves is well worth the subscription prices they charge.

rather - those who continue to USE isyndica have found that to be true, but that's a tautology.  it's not a cure for everyone

steve