MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Are you working alone?  (Read 13016 times)

Xalanx

« on: March 31, 2009, 00:52 »
We all know about some of the very successful photographers that they have a certain number of people working for them - the case of Yuri Arcurs, Ron Chapple, etc.

Would be interesting to find out how other people are working, based on some points:

1. when did you started with microstock?
2. how experienced in photography were you when started with MS?
3. is photography your only source of revenue? If so, how much of your income is microstock earnings?
4. are you working alone? If not, how many employees?
5. how many photos on week do you upload?
6. on how many sites do you have your portfolio?
7. do you upload to macrostock? If so, how much of your stock photography earnings are coming from macro?

I'll start:

1. I have an account on MS sites since autumn 2007, but I only started to take it seriously in late spring 2008.
2. Very little.
3. No, I'm part time. Hoping to get full time in 1-2 years.
4. Yes
5. between 10 and 100, but the average is around 20, I guess.
6. Big 6 (Not counting IS because my port there is insignificant) and some 3-4 others.
7. Yes, just started with Alamy a month ago. No sales so far. Surprising, isn't it...  :P

Moonb007

• Architect, Photographer, Dreamer
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 13:35 »
1.  I really started in 2007, but a member of a few sites in 2006
2.  Not very good at digital, amateur
3.  Nope, small cakes compared to my real job
4.  Yep
5.  If I am lucky, about 10
6.  I am a member of 21 sites
7.  I am only a member of Alamy with no sales.

There is my update

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 13:40 »
1. 2004
2. No digital experience
3. Yes, most.
4.  I do everything myself.  Recruitment, location, shooting, processing, keywording, etc... etc... etc...
5. 40-80
6. 2
7. A little

Boy, this is fun!

Xalanx

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 13:43 »
Gosh, now I know all the truth about the great Sean Locke! Haaa, gotcha!

:D

Without kidding now - I admire your work, and the way you market it.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 14:51 »
1. April 2008 (I tried in 2005 but gave up after no progress so I got some accounts backdated)
2. It's hard to say, I have been shooting analog for years, went into digital in 2005, no experience in post processing really
3. It was first year I filed taxes :-) Still it is like expensive hobby for me :-)
4. As stated above no profits so far I can only afford myself working for free
5. At the beginning I was trying to offload thousands of photos I did i last couple years but now I try to reduce it to 60 a week
6. Big 6 plus some experiments
7. Gave up Alamy after being sick of constant rejections. I cannot figure out what wrong with my upsizing so I will wait until I get camera with more megapixels.

vonkara

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 15:06 »

Boy, this is fun!
LOL you are on a high today Sean

1. Started in July 2007
2. Learned in studio class, but I actually use continious lights anyway
3. No, but it help a lot though
4. Yes alone in the dark, can't even make people understanding correctly what I do
5. 5 to 20 (when I upload)
6. 8 sites
7. Yes Alamy, it's a fraction of earnings
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 22:09 by Vonkara »

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 15:07 »
1.  I started seriously in the Autumn of 2006.
2.  I had lots of experience but mainly with film and I had no stock experience.
3.  Microstock is about 99% of my income, yes I can live on practically nothing :)
4.  I am working alone, having nearly killed a few of my bosses in the past, it is probably safer.
5.  I started off uploading 100 a week but became lazy and now I struggle to do 20.
6.  My photos are on over 20 sites.
7.  I use alamy and have sold a few there and will look at other macrostock sites in the future.

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 15:12 »

Boy, this is fun!
LOL you are on a high today Sean

Ha ha. Yeah. And he was flirting with Stacey Newman earlier :) Tell us Sjlocke. Whats up?

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 16:03 »
1. when did you started with microstock?  January 2006
2. how experienced in photography were you when started with MS?  Over 20 years, but not professionally
3. is photography your only source of revenue? If so, how much of your income is microstock earnings?  Gladly is a minor source of income.   ;D
4. are you working alone? If not, how many employees?  On my own.
5. how many photos on week do you upload?  Currently 1-2
6. on how many sites do you have your portfolio?  10+, but currently actively uploading only to 6.
7. do you upload to macrostock? If so, how much of your stock photography earnings are coming from macro?  Only about 10% comes from macro, but my online portfolio is still under development.

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 16:25 »
1. when did you started with microstock? December 2005
2. how experienced in photography were you when started with MS? Not very - some experience with film, but new to digital
3. is photography your only source of revenue? If so, how much of your income is microstock earnings? Only income source currently...
4. are you working alone? If not, how many employees? Alone
5. how many photos on week do you upload? Overall average is about 12 photos per week - currently uploading more.
6. on how many sites do you have your portfolio? 5
7. do you upload to macrostock? If so, how much of your stock photography earnings are coming from macro? Yes... currently no sales, but only joined Alamy recently

RT

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 16:27 »
1. Nov 2006
2. Academic qualification (not worth it TBH) 3 years in macro stock
3. Yes. Approx 40%
4. For stock 95% of the time, for assignments 70%
5. 25-50
6. 10 that are worth it.
7. Yes. Approx 60%

WarrenPrice

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 16:31 »
1. when did you started with microstock?  June '08
2. how experienced in photography were you when started with MS?  freelanced as photojournalist since 1980 ... Film Only
3. is photography your only source of revenue? If so, how much of your income is microstock earnings?  Photography is a small part ... Microstock is NO part.
4. are you working alone? If not, how many employees?  Teaching my Grandson to take over.  No Paid Employees
5. how many photos on week do you upload?  5-10.
6. on how many sites do you have your portfolio?  5
7. do you upload to macrostock? If so, how much of your stock photography earnings are coming from macro?  NO..not yet

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 17:15 »
1. when did you started with microstock?  I uploaded my first photos in April 2006, but didn't spend much time until summer of 2007.
2. how experienced in photography were you when started with MS?  Not very.  I'd taken a few photography classes in college (digital and film), and had taken hobby photos for a few years.
3. is photography your only source of revenue? If so, how much of your income is microstock earnings?  Well, how shall I say this?  I'm a full time grad student (law), so microstock makes up most of my [meager] income.
4. are you working alone? If not, how many employees?  I work alone, unless you can count my two toddlers that hang on my legs when i try to work :)
5. how many photos a week do you upload?  Sadly, i don't get time to upload weekly, mostly on longer breaks in the academic year.
6. on how many sites do you have your portfolio?  the big six + alamy, and i have a few shots on a couple others to test the waters but don't see myself uploading to many of them.
7. do you upload to macrostock? If so, how much of your stock photography earnings are coming from macro?  Alamy only.  About 1/6 of my 2008 income came from a small segment of my portfolio on that site - i hope to get more up when i have the time.  (i know, i know.  I have the time to write this post but not upload.  ;) it's more of a stress relief mechanism than anything else.)

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 18:58 »
1. when did you started with microstock? part time 2004
2. how experienced in photography were you when started with MS? strickly hobboyist
3. is photography your only source of revenue? If so, how much of your income is microstock earnings? not even close
4. are you working alone? If not, how many employees? just me
5. how many photos on week do you upload? 15-20
6. on how many sites do you have your portfolio? 6
7. do you upload to macrostock? If so, how much of your stock photography earnings are coming from macro? no macro

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 18:59 »
1. when did you start with microstock? March 2008
Years of point and shoot experience, never took a photography class but 8 years of art classes in college.
3. is photography your only source of revenue? If so, how much of your income is microstock earnings? I work full time at an ad agency. This month microstock is 16 percent of my income.
4. are you working alone? If not, how many employees? Alone
5. how many photos on week do you upload? 6-8
6. on how many sites do you have your portfolio? 8
7. do you upload to macrostock? If so, how much of your stock photography earnings are coming from macro? Alamy, no sales yet.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 19:01 by epantha »

lisafx

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 19:16 »
Since Madelaide was nice and thorough enough to include the questions and bold them I will include her efforts in my reply - Thanks :)

1. when did you started with microstock?  Joined Istock January 05 but had my first accepted image in March 05

2. how experienced in photography were you when started with MS?  15 years as an avid shutterbug but just over three trying to make it as a pro - weddings & portraits.

3. is photography your only source of revenue? If so, how much of your income is microstock earnings?  Excluding my husband's earnings, which support us, all my earnings come from stock and 99% of that is micro.

4. are you working alone? If not, how many employees?  I work alone, but I will admit my husband is great about lugging gear, holding reflectors, and stepping in as an extra model when I need him :)

5. how many photos on week do you upload?  On average 30-40. 

6. on how many sites do you have your portfolio?  Ten but only make significant money on the Big 6 plus Bigstock

7. do you upload to macrostock? If so, how much of your stock photography earnings are coming from macro?  Only started testing the macro waters recently.  So far I have had a couple of sales but not enough to make a payout.  Macro seems to move in geologic time ;)

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 19:59 »
1. when did you started with microstock?  Joined Istock January 05 but had my first accepted image in March 05

So Lisa and I started together.  It's interesting how different talents, commitments (both time and equipment) and definitely different styles (no people shots for me) make a difference.  I bow my head for her.  :)

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 20:00 »
1. when did you started with microstock? part time in 2003
2. how experienced in photography were you when started with MS? about three years, an amateur
3. is photography your only source of revenue? If so, how much of your income is microstock earnings? yes its almost all 'photography related', but direct microstock sales only make about 10 or 15%, for me its had to separate the microstock out
4. are you working alone? If not, how many employees? yep, just me
5. how many photos on week do you upload? average 15
6. on how many sites do you have your portfolio? too many, about 25, but only 15 active submissions, I'm cutting down! the only reason its so many is so I can review them for my website.
7. do you upload to macrostock? If so, how much of your stock photography earnings are coming from macro? yes alamy, but not for a long time, little income from that

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 21:18 »
1. when did you started with microstock?  September 2005
2. how experienced in photography were you when started with MS?  I had owned a P&S digital camera for only 6 months when I started.  Anything I learned up until that point came from hanging around a bunch of photojournalists years prior and watching them work in the field, newsroom and dark room.
3. is photography your only source of revenue? If so, how much of your income is microstock earnings?  It's my primary source of income (80% and growing).  I also get paid to assist my disabled daughter.
4. are you working alone? If not, how many employees?  I work with several folks during photo shoots, but everything afterward is done 100% by me.  The only people I pay are the models, hair stylists and MUAs.  Been looking into hiring a Photoshop person...it's my weak spot.
5. how many photos on week do you upload?  10-40.  Some weeks are more productive than others.
6. on how many sites do you have your portfolio?  9, plus I have smaller portfolios on a few more stock and art sites.
7. do you upload to macrostock? If so, how much of your stock photography earnings are coming from macro?  Yes.  About 10%.

Xalanx

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 00:34 »
It's getting more and more interesting. I'm sure Leaf is lurking somewhere putting up a database with user info based on this topic :D

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 02:06 »
1. when did you started with microstock? August 2008 - yes, still a newbie
2. how experienced in photography were you when started with MS? had my film SLR for a few years, strictly a hobby
3. is photography your only source of revenue? If so, how much of your income is microstock earnings? not even close
4. are you working alone? If not, how many employees? just me, my friends and family pitch in as models :)
5. how many photos on week do you upload? 5-10
6. on how many sites do you have your portfolio? 12 I think, my FTP client knows better
7. do you upload to macrostock? If so, how much of your stock photography earnings are coming from macro? Started with Alamy a couple of months ago, no sales yet.

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 04:09 »
1. when did you started with microstock? Late 2007 but most spring 2008
2. how experienced in photography were you when started with MS?  Got daddys old slr about 1995, freelancing for snowboardmagazines a few years from 2000. On rest a few years. Picked up again 2007.
3. is photography your only source of revenue? If so, how much of your income is microstock earnings? I have my own One man Roof-sheet-metal company. Microstock so far is pocketmoney compared.
4. are you working alone? If not, how many employees? Only me
5. how many photos on week do you upload? about 10-15
6. on how many sites do you have your portfolio?13
7. do you upload to macrostock? If so, how much of your stock photography earnings are coming from macro? Alamy with no sales. Macro is soo boring. Its like watching paint drying;O

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 04:34 »

1. when did you started with microstock? Late 2005
2. how experienced in photography were you when started with MS?  I could focus and press the shutter.
3. is photography your only source of revenue? If so, how much of your income is microstock earnings? Yes it is. Microstock ~80%.
4. are you working alone? If not, how many employees? 100 % alone for microstock. 80% alone for other photography related work.
5. how many photos on week do you upload? 5 . Sometimes more sometimes less.
6. on how many sites do you have your portfolio?~15
7. do you upload to macrostock? If so, how much of your stock photography earnings are coming from macro? Alamy, ~ 4%

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 05:16 »
1. when did you started with microstock? June 2007
2. how experienced in photography were you when started with MS?  about 15 years in analog photography
3. is photography your only source of revenue? If so, how much of your income is microstock earnings? yes, microstock 50%
4. are you working alone? If not, how many employees? Yes I'm working alone, some friends pose for microstock.
5. how many photos on week do you upload? 10-20 per week
6. on how many sites do you have your portfolio? 11
7. do you upload to macrostock? If so, how much of your stock photography earnings are coming from macro? Alamy, very few sales actually

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 05:26 »

1. when did you started with microstock?

I had a p&s that I used to take photos of the family

3. is photography your only source of revenue? If so, how much of your income is microstock earnings? 
I now make quite a bit more at this than I do at my fullltime day job

4. are you working alone?
I have a family member that does most of the uploading, keywording, linking lightboxes etc and also assists on shoots.

5. how many photos on week do you upload?
On average 5 -10

6. on how many sites do you have your portfolio?
7 that I upload to and one that I have about a hundred images on and don't bother with.

7. do you upload to macrostock? If so, how much of your stock photography earnings are coming from macro?
Not yet but probably will in the future

CofkoCof

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 06:15 »
1. when did you started with microstock? Beginning of 2008.
2. how experienced in photography were you when started with MS?  Just bought my first DSLR, had some experience with P&S. Had not experience with illustrations.
3. is photography your only source of revenue? If so, how much of your income is microstock earnings? No, it's just a portion of my earnings.
4. are you working alone? If not, how many employees? Alone.
5. how many photos on week do you upload? None recently, don't find the time.
6. on how many sites do you have your portfolio? 8 I think.
7. do you upload to macrostock? No.