pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: iStock Content to Sell on Photos.com and JupiterUnlimited  (Read 94435 times)

« on: May 01, 2009, 15:17 »

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 15:30 »
Um...wow  :o

but now what's gonna happen with my StockXpert photos that are opted into sales on photos.com and JIU?   ???   ???

Oh, what a tangled web...

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 15:42 »
Um...wow  :o

but now what's gonna happen with my StockXpert photos that are opted into sales on photos.com and JIU?   ???   ???

Oh, what a tangled web...

I just wanted to ask that.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 15:47 »
Totally different payout schedule, too, I see.  I wonder if they're going to change the payouts on StockXpert?  Do the actual subscription prices on photos.com and JupImg vary with size?  I know our commissions on StockXpert don't.  IS didn't say anything about sizes vs price.

This is going to get interesting!   ::) ::)

batman

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 15:52 »
Worst scenario, buyers are going to see redundancy, as there is quite a number of StockXpert who is also on IS. So what next? Ask those redundant StockXpert'ers to close their account since they are already with IS? And ask the selling StockXpert'er who has not been with IS to merge, then shut StockXpert down?
Methinks it's slowly cutting off the oxygen once again to poor StockXpert. (requiescat in pace)   ::)

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 15:59 »
If exclusives have images on JUI and Photos.com, that means those images are not exclusive for IS only. It's like they submit to some other sites as well...just they are not allowed to submit their images on all other sites. That practically limits them.

m@m

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 16:03 »
It sure sounds that way batman, is going to be very interesting to see how it develops, since I'm one of those that contributes to StockXpert as well as IS...It's not looking good for SX again.  ???...and is beginning to sound even worse for us.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 16:06 by m@m »

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 16:04 »
So much about exclusive images.

So now people can buy my image that's on StockXpert and I get a decent % or they can buy the same image that is on IS trough photos.com and I get only 20%  ??? ;D Will every image from a non exclusive have duplicates?

Or even 20% off a subscription sale. How much would that be if someone uses all of his downloads that month? 10c?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 16:08 by LostOne »

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 16:08 »
StockXpert must have at least a million images that are not on istock because of the restrictive upload limits, their intolerance of non-vector illustrations and their tough vector application process.  I don't see them closing StockXpert but perhaps they will make it a collection within the istock site, removing all the duplicate images.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 16:15 »
wow, this is a lot of info to cogitate on. I'll withold judgment for a while. Seems like it could dilute the exclusitivity option quite a bit though.

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 16:36 »
An even worse scenario is StockXpert will be flooded with exclusive photos and we non-exclusives will be pushed to the even lower bottom of the food chain in searches and sales.

Worst scenario, buyers are going to see redundancy, as there is quite a number of StockXpert who is also on IS. So what next? Ask those redundant StockXpert'ers to close their account since they are already with IS? And ask the selling StockXpert'er who has not been with IS to merge, then shut StockXpert down?
Methinks it's slowly cutting off the oxygen once again to poor StockXpert. (requiescat in pace)   ::)

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 16:46 »
We are now losing the only subscription system that allowed different prices for different sizes.

I don't think we should be glad...

Claude

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 16:53 »
Imagine now, for example, Shutterstock says: "We are inviting all our contributors to become exclusive for Shutterstock, and to pull out their images from Getty network".
Who would then lose money?

lisafx

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 17:08 »
Well, for me it doesn't really make any difference.  My images are already on JUI and Photos.com.  But as so many istock exclusives seem to be against subscriptions I can't imagine many of them are going to be happy about this.

And as pointed out above, this really does dilute the value of istock having an exclusive collection.  Add to that the fact that exclusives will only make 2.5% more than non-exclusives on these sales, regardless of cannister level, and it looks pretty discouraging.

One has to wonder if this is Getty's way of signaling that they are phasing out istock exclusivity altogether....

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 17:10 »
From the istock thread:

http://www.istockphoto.com/forum_messages.php?threadid=87786&messageid=1330041

For those of you who already have images on Photos.com, we'll ensure there is no duplication. Yes, there will be extended licensing offered on those files on photos.com. If you opt in to the program and decide later to opt out or deactivate one of your files, the images will be removed within 24 hours.

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 17:15 »
So, when I sale something on Photos.com, where my earning goes? To StockXpert or IS? Or maybe IS won't send to Photos.com images that are already sent there by StockXpert?

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 17:21 »
So, when I sale something on Photos.com, where my earning goes? To StockXpert or IS? Or maybe IS won't send to Photos.com images that are already sent there by StockXpert?

I think that's what IS means--that they won't send them if the image is already on photos.com or JIU.  However, I'm not sure how they're going to be able to tell as the images will have different keywords (IS uses their controlled vocabulary), and they could have different titles.

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 17:27 »
Actually, from IS forum, they say that we will be paid through IS, not other sites. If it is clear that we will be paid less through IS, it is better to opt out of this for non-exclusives.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 17:30 by goldenangel »

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 17:28 »
Well, I'm opting out my IS images then, because I earn more on subs from StockXpert.

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 17:32 »
It actually looks like istock will pay more for subs "Were projecting the average royalty payout to be 30 55".  That might make it worthwhile opting out with StockXpert but I have around 2,000 more images with StockXpert, so I will might be better off staying opted in there.

lisafx

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 17:34 »
Hope you're right sharpshot.  Still seems to dilute exclusivity IMO.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 17:37 by lisafx »

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 17:52 »
We are now losing the only subscription system that allowed different prices for different sizes.

I hope we will be able to opt out.

PS: I have just read the IS forum thread, and we will be able to opt out.  At least.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 17:55 by madelaide »

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 17:54 »
It actually looks like istock will pay more for subs "Were projecting the average royalty payout to be 30 55".  That might make it worthwhile opting out with StockXpert but I have around 2,000 more images with StockXpert, so I will might be better off staying opted in there.

Doesn't Getty own Stockxpert also? how long do you think it will be before exclusive istock material will be available on Stockxpert, perhaps a certain collection if they go that route(sounds like Getty). This might sweeten the deal for exclusivity, at least that's how I see it. I'm not sure there is anything stopping Getty from gobbling up a few more of top 7 micros either.

lisafx

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 18:07 »
I'm not sure there is anything stopping Getty from gobbling up a few more of top 7 micros either.

That is certainly a disturbing thought.....

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 18:10 »
I'm not sure there is anything stopping Getty from gobbling up a few more of top 7 micros either.

That is certainly a disturbing thought.....

Haha!! who knows!!  :) I wouldn't be surprised though. Collections, search revamp, stockxpert, jupiter, whats next???