MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: iStock Content to Sell on Photos.com and JupiterUnlimited  (Read 95002 times)

« Reply #250 on: May 06, 2009, 12:45 »
The silence there is deafening . The place is like a morgue today.

« Reply #251 on: May 06, 2009, 12:56 »
They've got to come back with something eventually! The guys in Calgary (or whoever is pulling the strings) has a few choices:

- Stay quiet and just implement it, loosing a hell of a lot of trust
- Come out and say nothing's changing, upsetting a lot of of people who have just been ignored
- Offer some comprise, potentially diffuse the situation to some extent
- Scrap it completely, please the contributors but still have everyone wondering what'll be on the cards when Getty start pulling istock's strings next time

I'm glad I'm not an admin right now stuck between the owners and a whole host of angry contributors and a decision without any favourable outcomes for contributor relations.

If istock just kept the exclusive content separate from the content transferred to photos.com then it would just be a case of an individual decision with a lot less impact on the exclusive group who opt out and whilst most people would probably still be saying they'll opt out I don't think there would be quite the same number of complaints about it!

(Thanks for the correction on my last post, didn't realise Jupiter wasn't owned by Getty at the time)

tan510jomast

« Reply #252 on: May 06, 2009, 12:59 »
The silence there is deafening . The place is like a morgue today.

rofl, don't you wish FlemishDreams were here ! his timezone is different, that's why.. when we sleep he wakes up. O think most of them went back to ISforum. it's best to check there. although not sure if they closed the blog or not.

but the lull is welcoming, it gives me the time to get another Guinness, lol

« Reply #253 on: May 06, 2009, 13:12 »
rofl, don't you wish FlemishDreams were here ! his timezone is different, that's why..
I thought he's from Belgium, then he should be awake right now!

but the lull is welcoming,
And that's not a nice word in Dutch/Flemish.  ;D

tan510jomast

« Reply #254 on: May 06, 2009, 13:23 »
rofl, don't you wish FlemishDreams were here ! his timezone is different, that's why..

he is, but he 's working out in the far east now.
what's not a nice word? lull?

stacey_newman

« Reply #255 on: May 06, 2009, 13:26 »
^ Lisa, you know you are one of these people whose advice I always trust and take to heart. I am listening to everything you, Jo Ann and Sean are saying (and a couple of others). I already said that if the collective is large enough and its motives based on sound numbers, I will opt out with the collective. but I'm not making a decision based on the opinions of a handful of upset contributors and so far it has not grown into anything larger.

gostwyck, if you're accusing me of being arrogant, you're definitely the pot calling the kettle black. you don't have to drag this down to a personal level all the time. I agree that in a forum I sound direct in the way that I write, tone is often misconstrued, but I'm not an egomaniac in real life, just someone who cares about my work and who has seen office politics spin non-issues into major issues based on rumour. I don't want to be a part of that.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree. I'm saying nothing on either side has convinced me that this is either something to worry about or nothing to worry about. is it really that offensive for someone to wait and see what happens?

« Reply #256 on: May 06, 2009, 13:27 »
he is, but he 's working out in the far east now.
what's not a nice word? lull?
Yes that's not a nice word, but I was just kidding, I know that's not what you meant.

lisafx

« Reply #257 on: May 06, 2009, 13:57 »

« Reply #258 on: May 06, 2009, 13:58 »
^ Lisa, you know you are one of these people whose advice I always trust and take to heart. I am listening to everything you, Jo Ann and Sean are saying (and a couple of others). I already said that if the collective is large enough and its motives based on sound numbers, I will opt out with the collective. but I'm not making a decision based on the opinions of a handful of upset contributors and so far it has not grown into anything larger.

gostwyck, if you're accusing me of being arrogant, you're definitely the pot calling the kettle black. you don't have to drag this down to a personal level all the time. I agree that in a forum I sound direct in the way that I write, tone is often misconstrued, but I'm not an egomaniac in real life, just someone who cares about my work and who has seen office politics spin non-issues into major issues based on rumour. I don't want to be a part of that.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree. I'm saying nothing on either side has convinced me that this is either something to worry about or nothing to worry about. is it really that offensive for someone to wait and see what happens?

Both here and iStock you sound like a split personality. One time you post one thing and in the next minute your contradicting even your own post. I think if you had any sense of how you sounded you would be quite embarrassed. You have every right to express an opinion. No one argues that. But at least have it one way or the other. Stop being so wishy washy. Who are you try to appease ? I think the damage has already been done. Now just stick to your guns.

bittersweet

« Reply #259 on: May 06, 2009, 14:07 »

Both here and iStock you sound like a split personality. One time you post one thing and in the next minute your contradicting even your own post. I think if you had any sense of how you sounded you would be quite embarrassed. You have every right to express an opinion. No one argues that. But at least have it one way or the other. Stop being so wishy washy. Who are you try to appease ? I think the damage has already been done. Now just stick to your guns.

It could be worse. She could be going back and changing her original position, or the second one, or the one back to the original one. So you gotta give her some props for at least being proud of her indecisiveness. :)

Seriously though, none of us knows how it's going to shake out. Remove the speculation and look at what we DO know, and I personally feel a very compelling reason to believe it is a negative development. That is true whether I get phone calls from a lot of self-important folks telling me what I should think or not.

ETA: Stacey, my comments are in jest. You are of course free to change your mind as many times as you like. Research is a good thing, and you are the only one who has to live with your decision, so who cares what anyone else thinks.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 14:09 by whatalife »

« Reply #260 on: May 06, 2009, 14:15 »
One time you post one thing and in the next minute your contradicting even your own post. I think if you had any sense of how you sounded you would be quite embarrassed. You have every right to express an opinion. No one argues that. But at least have it one way or the other. Stop being so wishy washy.

Beautifully summarised Justme.

Stacey, I expressed my irritation because you write endless posts, all the time and everywhere, without actually saying anything or even having ownership of an opinion ... on anything at all. I can only assume that you're on some sort of ego trip seeing your meaningless drivel on screen. Trouble it gets in the way of the important stuff here that people are trying to read/respond.

stacey_newman

« Reply #261 on: May 06, 2009, 14:17 »
so, forums are NOT a place to debate and change positions on important issues? I thought that was exactly the point of a forum. I don't look at forums as anything other than a round table where you can think out loud, which includes changing your mind about anything you want to.

I don't think it is necessary for you to insult me. though I take some of the things you are saying to heart, I also get enough reinforcement from people who tell me they appreciate my posts. so whatever. there's no need to get mean.

at least I'm not hiding behind an anonymous username.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 14:22 by stacey_newman »

« Reply #262 on: May 06, 2009, 14:32 »

You may want to think about it. You may be better off if you were.

stacey_newman

« Reply #263 on: May 06, 2009, 14:39 »
you know, I try to respond to this kind of stuff without getting upset. but gostwyck, I'm really tired of your rude and insulting attitude. you don't have to like me, and I can actually understand why you might think I am wishy washy. so I am not arguing there. I gets tons of advice from people whose advice is opposite around here. I come on here to get information and to give my current opinion on what I am thinking. current opinion doesn't mean final opinion.

I am the first to joke that I have verbal diarrhea and I am the first to admit when I am on the fence about something. so you're not telling me anything I don't already admit to openly.

If you were trying to upset me, mission accomplished. I'm really upset, your comments were really insulting. you've insulted so many people around here. when I first came to this site, yours was one of the names I was warned to watch out for.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 14:53 by stacey_newman »

« Reply #264 on: May 06, 2009, 14:41 »

He is from belgium, Leuven in fact, about 50 miles from where i live.  But he spends about 9 months per year on the Philipines.

Patrick H.

« Reply #265 on: May 06, 2009, 14:44 »
I don't look at forums as anything other than a round table where you can think out loud, which includes changing your mind about anything you want to.

Why not start your own topic and call it "Stacey Thinks Out Loud and Changes Her Mind". Then you could write down everything that came into your head, all day and every day __ and we could come and read it and join in if we wanted to. That would be fun.

stacey_newman

« Reply #266 on: May 06, 2009, 14:47 »
I think your point is clear. please stop now. I don't think this is necessary.

« Reply #267 on: May 06, 2009, 14:48 »

You may want to think about it. You may be better off if you were.

Why? At least Stacey is willing to listen other people's opinion and doesn't approach things with a closed mind. I'd choose a balanced discussion over a knee jerk mob reaction any day!

tan510jomast

« Reply #268 on: May 06, 2009, 14:51 »
I think your point is clear. please stop now. I don't think this is necessary.

chill people, if we are to be held accountable for everything we say here, i think stacey would not be the only one guilty of committing such a natural thing. especially for this moment, things are so volatile.
the only difference between stacey and the rest of us is that she is openly voicing her thoughts to us,
which opens herself to criticism. but i don't think any of us deserve to be personally attacked like this.
i have to agree with stacey that this is unnecessary.

we're not here to find enemies , we're here to share our thoughts. she just gave us more than most of us.
chill.

« Reply #269 on: May 06, 2009, 14:53 »
The idea that this is all speculation sounds reasonable.  For istock exclusives it may be true. 

But for those of us who have been through the same situation with Stockxpert as it was taken over my Getty, this is not speculation.  It is a very familiar scenario indeed.

Only difference is that the deal being offered istock exclusives is considerably worse than the one offered StockXpert contributors.  I think they are assuming that the loyalty of istock exclusives to the company and their inexperience with the rest of the industry will cause them to take a deal that is very much against their self interests. 

From some of the comments in this thread and the one on istock they may be right.

it's probably more conditioning than anything else, lisafx. if you've been exclusive for so long, it must be hell trying to unravel a global mentality. it will take time for that, which again I think Getty is betting on this cooling down period to their advantage.
just my tuppence thought.

Not all the exclusives have been so a long time - me for example. I was in the conference call with the Jupiter folks trying to improve the horrible proposals they had for StockXpert - and a number of prior dust-ups with sites trying to impose new terms that were not in contributors' best interests. I have kept roughly abreast of what's been going on at the various sites in the last year as like it or not, there are some things that affect all of us as a group.

Even earlier I've been around software companies that were acquired and I've seen a number of these stories unfold. It's this collection of experiences that informs my best guesses about what is likely to happen. Clearly we don't know what will happen, but waiting until the stuff hits the fan instead of trying to alter the course of events where we can just makes no sense to me.

It's a real shame that some at IS will give this scheme the benefit of the doubt, because the only power we have is to withhold the content from  the Jupiter sites. Getty doesn't care if anyone's upset, but they would take notice if they had no new content to provide to their subscription properties. Once the dribble of stuff starts because some people believe that something is better than nothing, it'll be very very hard to stop the momentum.

tan510jomast

« Reply #270 on: May 06, 2009, 14:56 »
It's a real shame that some at IS will give this scheme the benefit of the doubt, because the only power we have is to withhold the content from  the Jupiter sites. Getty doesn't care if anyone's upset, but they would take notice if they had no new content to provide to their subscription properties. Once the dribble of stuff starts because some people believe that something is better than nothing, it'll be very very hard to stop the momentum.

well said,
... and we already are seeing a light at the end of a tunnel...
(fotolia 's new president).  8)

this is certainly a big turn of the event. volatile , did i not say?

« Reply #271 on: May 06, 2009, 14:58 »
The idea that this is all speculation sounds reasonable.  For istock exclusives it may be true. 

But for those of us who have been through the same situation with Stockxpert as it was taken over my Getty, this is not speculation.  It is a very familiar scenario indeed.

Only difference is that the deal being offered istock exclusives is considerably worse than the one offered StockXpert contributors.  I think they are assuming that the loyalty of istock exclusives to the company and their inexperience with the rest of the industry will cause them to take a deal that is very much against their self interests. 

From some of the comments in this thread and the one on istock they may be right.

it's probably more conditioning than anything else, lisafx. if you've been exclusive for so long, it must be hell trying to unravel a global mentality. it will take time for that, which again I think Getty is betting on this cooling down period to their advantage.
just my tuppence thought.

Not all the exclusives have been so a long time - me for example. I was in the conference call with the Jupiter folks trying to improve the horrible proposals they had for StockXpert - and a number of prior dust-ups with sites trying to impose new terms that were not in contributors' best interests. I have kept roughly abreast of what's been going on at the various sites in the last year as like it or not, there are some things that affect all of us as a group.

Even earlier I've been around software companies that were acquired and I've seen a number of these stories unfold. It's this collection of experiences that informs my best guesses about what is likely to happen. Clearly we don't know what will happen, but waiting until the stuff hits the fan instead of trying to alter the course of events where we can just makes no sense to me.

It's a real shame that some at IS will give this scheme the benefit of the doubt, because the only power we have is to withhold the content from  the Jupiter sites. Getty doesn't care if anyone's upset, but they would take notice if they had no new content to provide to their subscription properties. Once the dribble of stuff starts because some people believe that something is better than nothing, it'll be very very hard to stop the momentum.

I agree. But regardless of how many of us there are, there will always be more who are afraid to go against the grain. And settle for nothing. Particularly those who do not understand the business.

bittersweet

« Reply #272 on: May 06, 2009, 15:46 »

I agree. But regardless of how many of us there are, there will always be more who are afraid to go against the grain. And settle for nothing. Particularly those who do not understand the business.
[/quote

This is admittedly way out of left fieId, but I almost wonder if they will raise the upload limits for newbies in order to increase the number of files available from those more likely to fall into your above mentioned categories.  :)

DanP68

« Reply #273 on: May 06, 2009, 15:56 »
iStock is doing very well in the market in terms of sales and revenue.

To reiterate what Joe Gough told you in the iStock forum thread...Stockxpert was doing very well too prior to the Photos/JUI deal.  It only took about 2 months for sales there to completely tank.  While I appreciate your optimism, I think you are whistling past the graveyard at midnight.

« Reply #274 on: May 06, 2009, 16:03 »
It's a real shame that some at IS will give this scheme the benefit of the doubt, because the only power we have is to withhold the content from  the Jupiter sites. Getty doesn't care if anyone's upset, but they would take notice if they had no new content to provide to their subscription properties.

That's not true __ you have far more powers than that if you choose to use them. You can suspend new uploads (which has proved very effective elsewhere), you can drop the crown (which takes a month to take effect anyway), etc, etc.

To be honest I've never understood the attraction of exclusivity. In the normal world higher risk should be in pursuit of higher reward but you guys earn significantly less for taking the risk, you put your livelihoods at the whim of a single distributor and then suffer all the instability that comes with it. Then you complain when it all goes wrong. Why?