pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Which Are Really The Big 6? And Which Ones Are Really Worth The Time?  (Read 26350 times)

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 06:29 »
If you know how to organize your self, you won't see big difference in time spent for microstock between 4 and 10 sites. I personally submit to 13 right now. Most time you will spend on shooting and editing, and you have to do it anyway.
1. Write IPTC data in PS or any other software that can do it, so you won't have to do it online
2. Use FTP for upload, so you can upload your files to multiple sites with few mouse clicks. You can even go to sleep after it, your images will be uploaded anyway
3. Logon to every site and choose categories where it's needed.

Third step is the only step that will take more time for 10 sites than 4 sites.

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 07:33 »
IS
SS
Alamy (I sell RF here)
FT
DT

waste of time:
BigStock
123rf (will delete my images soon)
Featurepics
and now StockXpert

delete my images from
Canstock
Crestock
Albumo
Zymmetrical

tan510jomast

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 13:46 »
in the past months, my most optimistic would be Fotolia, my newest site (5 months old). My most consistent since beginning in micro almost one year ago today  has been Stockxpert, which also gave me a stellar performances (by my standard) in Feb,March, April, although mostly subs. Followed closely by Dreamstime, and tagging far behind but paying better than subs Big Stock.Giving me a trickle (less than a dollar ) in the past month : 123rf, Canstock, SV.    Scanstock started well with 2 EU then fell into a stupor . I was actually hoping for more after they announced their move into the US market.
But don't judge it by me, my portfolio was very small until last winter (feb, march, april 2009) that I really made any effort to upload more consistently, BUT only to the sites that gave me a sale. Each time I get a sale, I upload to that site .
The only site that hasn't given me a sale but I am in full support is Cutcaster...
simply because John rocks  !
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 13:51 by tan510jomast »

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 14:02 »

That's not entirely true - in order to maximize sales you shouldn't treat each agency the same way. IS has a unique keywording system that you need to address, IS and StockXpert allow you to list similar/related images, 123 allows you to select 'favorites' that will be given priority in searches, and it's important to pay attention to your uploading rate and day at SS.

tan510jomast

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 14:42 »

That's not entirely true - in order to maximize sales you shouldn't treat each agency the same way. IS has a unique keywording system that you need to address, IS and StockXpert allow you to list similar/related images, 123 allows you to select 'favorites' that will be given priority in searches, and it's important to pay attention to your uploading rate and day at SS.

I think Fotolia too, I find that your ranking is linked to your approval and sales. This week I got an Extended Licence Sale and my ranking shot up. I also heard that keywords are vital for the first seven, although others here say that's folklore.
what do you think?

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2009, 22:20 »
I think Fotolia too, I find that your ranking is linked to your approval and sales. This week I got an Extended Licence Sale and my ranking shot up. I also heard that keywords are vital for the first seven, although others here say that's folklore.
what do you think?
Fotolia customer service confirmed to me the approval ratio is not in any way related to sales, or ranking of one's images in searches. While our FT ranking can change, it does not affect the sales.
7 keywords used to be relevant before, not anymore.

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2009, 03:03 »

Did Fotolia customer service confirmed that too?

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 18:30 »
No. Not to me. I believe it was announced by Fotolia and posted on forums before.

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2009, 22:19 »
There are no big 6, that's what's confusing.

SS
DT
IS
FT

That's the top 4.  Beyond that, you're stretching.

BigStock
StockXpert
CanStockPhoto

That's the next level - stuff you can occasionally get money from.

CS, FP, YM, MP, ZM, SV, etc. are all the "good luck" places.  That's just how it generally shakes out.  Everyone's port is different but that's the basics.

Right, except StockXpert. It belongs to Top 5.

In fact the truth is: (in no particular order)

IS
SS

then;
DT
StockXpert
FT

then;
123rf
BigStock
maybe CanStockPhoto

then the rest...

There are no big 6. Theres a big 2 IS SS, big 4 if you add FT & DT, and big 7 with StockXpert 123 BigStock. I dont find CanStockPhoto as one of the big 8 but if it was fored in that would be it.

part 2 of the question which ones are worth the time? either the big 2 or the big 4 after that it might be a waste of time until you have 1000 photos. you can always upload those later to the last 4 and you didn't lose much. Sobody good would have only the big 2 and not waste time on any of the rest. FT & DT are getting hard to work with.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:28 by YadaYadaYada »

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2009, 02:29 »
i have a big one  :o

i have only about 250 pics uploaded so far. so, my stats might not be very relevant, yet. but i'm usually making more than 50% of my microstock income on SS.

last month for example:

SS 51.87%

StockXpert 18.00%
FT 12.35%

DT 7.27%
IS 5.50%

BigStock, 123, CanStockPhoto together less than 6%

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:37 by thaimacky »

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2009, 10:43 »
Real data are here...

Fotolia will be No.1 soon...

lisafx

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2009, 19:34 »

No. Not to me. I believe it was announced by Fotolia and posted on forums before.

Not sure how these rumors get started. 

This came up on another group in December and Matt Hayward checked into it and confirmed keyword order is still relevant in search results.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/micropayment/message/22349

If someone has different information can you post a link? 

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2009, 21:53 »
Thank you for clarifying that Lisa! I'm sorry if I misguided anyone. The less rumors around the better.

cmcderm1

• Chad McDermott - Elite Image Photography
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2009, 23:24 »
I completely agree with this order..........

There are no big 6, that's what's confusing.

SS
DT
IS
FT

That's the top 4.  Beyond that, you're stretching.

BigStock
StockXpert
CanStockPhoto

That's the next level - stuff you can occasionally get money from.

CS, FP, YM, MP, ZM, SV, etc. are all the "good luck" places.  That's just how it generally shakes out.  Everyone's port is different but that's the basics.

Right, except StockXpert. It belongs to Top 5.

IS
SS

then;
DT
StockXpert
FT

then;
123rf
BigStock
maybe CanStockPhoto

then the rest...

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 15:35 »
Me: small portfolio, mostly objects, 4 months experience.

Regular sales on SS and FT, DT is third.

StockXpert - some sales early on, then the site esssentially broke in February. New images get no views. Nothing sells any more.

123 RF - a complete waste of time.

IS - too much hassle, for very few sales.  If you want to mess with IS, submit only images that are already selling well elsewhere - expect lots of them to be rejected and don't bother trying to understand why. If you believe they've rejected a particularly good one, wait a couple weeks and resubmit, it may get through.

Dook

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2009, 17:40 »
Since you asked for feedback, here is mine.
1.SS and believe it or not, 2. StockXpert. Everything else as usual. BUT, for newcomer IS is not in BIG6 or 4 or anything because of their upload limit. You need a year or two for them to become BIG anything.

grp_photo

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2009, 04:07 »
As a newcomer you can forget about IS and nobody know that is in a year or two.

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 15:07 »
I am not a huge player in this but for me bigstock has always been a steady performer. The low payouts are great as well.

I agree that at BigStock the 30.00 use to be a plus however I was told by another photographer that they were being changed. Although I haven't looked into it myself as of yet ... probably email notice in the inbox waiting for me to read.

Aside from that I would say:
#1 SS
#2 DT
#3 iStock     
#4 FT
#5 123rf
#6 BigStock

Notable Mention: MP
Although I haven't had a sale there in 9 months my revenue from multiple sales at MostPhotos surpasses BigStock & 123rf combined. I believe they have dropped the rating system with their new release which just came out.

-Mark

-Mark
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 15:16 by mwp1969 »

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2009, 07:27 »
IS is 42% of sales - SS is 40%. BigStock 7% DT 6% and FT 3%.

CC, 123, and Yay have yet to make a sale. I've been with IS since 2003 with Yay for 1 month. All other sites I've been with for about a year.

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2009, 07:46 »

IS
SS

then;
DT
StockXpert
FT

then;
123rf
BigStock
maybe CanStockPhoto

then the rest...

Yep.. I agree!

KB

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2009, 10:29 »
I also agree, except that starting next week I'm afraid that StockXpert will drop down to the group containing 123 & BigStock.  :(

lisafx

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2009, 17:31 »
I also agree, except that starting next week I'm afraid that StockXpert will drop down to the group containing 123 & BigStock.  :(

I think you are right.   Hoping to be pleasantly surprised though...

KB

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2009, 19:26 »

I think you are right.   Hoping to be pleasantly surprised though...
Optimism is good.

I also hope you are pleasantly surprised.  ;D