MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Reputation Power  (Read 22752 times)

KB

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2009, 12:58 »
Did you try logging out and back in again?
No, but I did now, and it worked!  :)

Thanks, whatalife. You definitely deserved a helpful for that one.

« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2009, 12:58 »
I am here to get useful information and hopefully share some when I have it.  I have absolutely no interest in participating in a popularity contest. 
I agree with Lisa.

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2009, 13:03 »
...The heart is moved up beside the 'quote' button...

A-ha!  Hidden in plain sight!  Since it's a heart icon, I was looking for something red instead of blue.  :D ;D

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2009, 13:12 »
... and as much as I appreciate Tyler spending his time trying to make this already informative forum more user friendly I don't really think this particular meter will have any worth. I know of someone on a microstock site forum who is very popular, but he talks the biggest load of cr*p I've ever seen.

Yep, I'd agree too. It'll most likely just encourage sycophantic fawning by some individuals and/or 'forum cliques' to be generated __ if I wanted that I'd be spending time on the SS forums (shudders).

Let's keep this place for the discussion of business.

zymmetricaldotcom

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2009, 13:46 »
test 123  ;D

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2009, 13:54 »
It is true that the feature will encourage some users to participate more, and that is probably one of the goals of this feature. On the other hand, turning it into a popularity contest, creating "allies" and "enemies" might make it much less useful and might even turn off some people with the forum altogether. This forum has already seen its fair deal of sometime not so professional interaction between the members. Unfortunately, I think we are just not up to the whole thing.

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2009, 14:06 »
Poor leaf,  you can't please everybody  8)

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2009, 14:09 »
Now when I am ignored by couple users I can see if anybody actually likes me :-)

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2009, 14:22 »
Come on,  Loosen your ties a bit.

Lets give it a few days before bashing it... 

We can give a price for the first one to reach 10000 positive threads ;)

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2009, 14:28 »
OK. I have a couple of suggestions. One is to make the votes public, so that underneath the post we would see how many votes the post has and by whom. Hopefully, this would discourage voting for useless posts :) I have seen this on some forums already, in form of "Thank you" votes.
A thread could also has its number of useful posts displayed on the home page. That would make for a better use of the whole feature.

vonkara

« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2009, 14:33 »
0 usefull in 1350 or something post... What a shame, now I have to post again  ::) LOL

bittersweet

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2009, 14:50 »
Hopefully, this would discourage voting for useless posts :)

A thread could also has its number of useful posts displayed on the home page. That would make for a better use of the whole feature.

I don't understand what you mean by this. Isn't the voting for posts that the voter finds useful?  Or just the ones that you find useful? :)

zymmetricaldotcom

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2009, 14:51 »
I'm of the opinion a simple post count indicator is always the most neutral and effective quality indicator for forum members - if someone was being a wiener all the time they probably wouldn't make it to post 3323.   I'm sure this mod Leaf added is pretty safe for spamming and stuff.. but at the pace of how ideas progress here I think a power-up heart won't mean as much as hoped for because it requires stopping and evaluating the individual message which might be too much of a distraction to bother for most busy people.

On the other hand, I am always one to support non-intrusive experiments - it absolutely can not do any harm to try out.  8)

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2009, 14:55 »

I don't understand what you mean by this. Isn't the voting for posts that the voter finds useful?  Or just the ones that you find useful? :)
What I meant is that this would discourage some "allies" voting for each other's posts regardless of whether they are useful or not. One will think twice before voting for a very short post without any info, for example, because it will look ridiculous.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 14:57 by goldenangel »

bittersweet

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2009, 15:23 »

What I meant is that this would discourage some "allies" voting for each other's posts regardless of whether they are useful or not. One will think twice before voting for a very short post without any info, for example, because it will look ridiculous.

I guess I don't see why it matters, since voting for someone doesn't taking anything away from anyone else, but at least now I understand what you meant. I think lists of names stuck on individual posts would clutter up the forum a lot.

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2009, 15:34 »
OK. I have a couple of suggestions. One is to make the votes public, so that underneath the post we would see how many votes the post has and by whom. Hopefully, this would discourage voting for useless posts :) I have seen this on some forums already, in form of "Thank you" votes.

Thanks for the suggestions and opinions everyone.  Either way I will let it stand for a week or two and see how it develops. 

I like the idea of being able to see which threads have the most useful posts though.  If a thread is found to have many useful posts it is probably a good read, or perhaps there could be an area listing the top 10 useful posts.

Perhaps to reduce the 'competition' or 'popularity contest' factor each persons rating could be hidden for everyone but them.  I still think it could be alright for people to be able to see which posts people find helpful, and nice to see your helpful post count go up if you work hard at answering people questions.

Otherwise, I am not sure that clicking on the heart, or the benefits of reaching a certain number of helpful posts is rewarding enough for people to do it without reason... but we shall see.  I am open to opinion.

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2009, 15:51 »
I'm of the opinion a simple post count indicator is always the most neutral and effective quality indicator for forum members - if someone was being a wiener all the time they probably wouldn't make it to post 3323.   I'm sure this mod Leaf added is pretty safe for spamming and stuff.. but at the pace of how ideas progress here I think a power-up heart won't mean as much as hoped for because it requires stopping and evaluating the individual message which might be too much of a distraction to bother for most busy people.

On the other hand, I am always one to support non-intrusive experiments - it absolutely can not do any harm to try out.  8)
I like the idea of being able to see which threads have the most useful posts though.  If a thread is found to have many useful posts it is probably a good read, or perhaps there could be an area listing the top 10 useful posts.

Perhaps to reduce the 'competition' or 'popularity contest' factor each persons rating could be hidden for everyone but them.  I still think it could be alright for people to be able to see which posts people find helpful, and nice to see your helpful post count go up if you work hard at answering people questions.

Otherwise, I am not sure that clicking on the heart, or the benefits of reaching a certain number of helpful posts is rewarding enough for people to do it without reason... but we shall see.  I am open to opinion.

I inserted two quotes above which make sense .
The dread of popularity mongers and mobsters is rather silly , as zymmetrical points out, I can't see anyone taking the time to "vote" for you simply because he/she thinks you're a cool jerk or to quote zymmetrical "weiner". If so, it sure takes a bigger "weiner" to want to vote for such a jerk / weiner.

Furthermore, I can't see how anyone enjoys being told he is the most popular "pr##k" (censored deliberately derogatory) in this forum.

lol,  can you imagine the obituary for this poor ole sod, the only one good thing said about him , "here lies.. xxxxxxx, voted most popular PR##K in Microstockgroup forum."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 16:03 by Perseus »

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2009, 15:56 »
Ah, now I see it.  I wasn't seeing it at work, also using FF.

« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2009, 16:18 »
Ah, now I see it.  I wasn't seeing it at work, also using FF.

yeah, it has recently been fixed.  Premium members couldn't see the heart before.

« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2009, 16:19 »
It seems I haven't yet made any useful comment in the forum!  ;D

« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2009, 16:21 »
It's kind of like Facebook like/unlike button.

Milinz

« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2009, 16:26 »
Any way to opt out of this?  I still have memories of the istock forumeter - that was a spectacular failure.

I am here to get useful information and hopefully share some when I have it.  I have absolutely no interest in participating in a popularity contest. 

Lisa I just gave you one vote for one of your useful posts, and you want to opt out!? No way! :)

+ 1 for Lisa
+ 1 for Whitechild

;-)

RacePhoto

« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2009, 01:25 »
;D

Now all those who hate my statements may vote against me... What a relief for some people ;-)

:o

We can vote only if we like it - Not if we hate it.  Good for you ;)

Darn  ;)  Not for you and not on this thread, here's what comes up.

You are not allowed to give negative reputation to this user!

Too bad, there should be a "This post is BS box." Oh wait, maybe I'd get too many of those. Nevermind.  ;D

« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2009, 01:29 »
;D

Now all those who hate my statements may vote against me... What a relief for some people ;-)

:o

We can vote only if we like it - Not if we hate it.  Good for you ;)

Darn  ;)  Not for you and not on this thread, here's what comes up.

You are not allowed to give negative reputation to this user!

Too bad, there should be a "This post is BS box." Oh wait, maybe I'd get too many of those. Nevermind.  ;D

what browser are you using?  I still don't get how you are still able to see the 'negative' option.

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2009, 04:39 »
Click the heart and a box appears at the top of the page

thanks for this, it was a helpful post LOL