MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: News - A Guided Tour in Yuri Arcurs' Photo Studio  (Read 21933 times)

News Feed

« on: May 18, 2009, 10:15 »
A Guided Tour in Yuri Arcurs' Photo Studio

A guided tour in Yuri Arcurs' studio at Aarhus in Denmark - see how he works and organizes his sets and get a unique look behind the scenes at one of the most successful and productive stock photography studios in the world!

http://www.crestock.com/blog/photography/a-guided-tour-in-yuri-arcurs-photo-studio-172.aspx

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:17 »
yep.. it looks pretty big alright :)

Here is the video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYkNKP96b84&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 15:17 by leaf »

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:29 »
Holy heck, that's a lot of overhead costs!  Nice setup, Yuri.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:40 »
That's just plain crazy. I wonder how long it took to amass all that stuff.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 10:54 »
Holy heck, that's a lot of overhead costs!

Yes, Mr. Locke, and it gives a great idea of what not to shoot, like blonde models in IKEA pseudo-globalist living an bed rooms, hospital beds and cheering nannies in a black non-reflective wheelchair. He got a bit fat, right, after turning 30  ;D

I just wonder how he will get a tropical waterfalls, sunsets or architects in his fancy studio. The message still is, be different, at  1/10th of the cost. And the bottomline is still 0.25$ at Crestock  8)

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 12:14 »
I cant imagine what his building costs are plus all his props. No stock photographer has that kind of overhead. That is insane. Paying for a complete staff, models, MA's, Assistants out the wazoo. I just dont see how he makes so much money after all his overhead.

RT

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 12:15 »
Makes my studio look like a shed.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 12:17 »
makes my studio look like ... oh wait.. what studio... oh yeah I don't have a studio :(

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 12:19 »
I cant imagine what his building costs are plus all his props. No stock photographer has that kind of overhead. That is insane. Paying for a complete staff, models, MA's, Assistants out the wazoo. I just dont see how he makes so much money after all his overhead.

He doesn't.  He said his profit is only 20% in another thread.

Here's my studio tour.  "Check out this wall here.  Here's my clothes rack.  There's the bathroom.  Now, get out."

Xalanx

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 12:28 »
I think I'll quit...  :o

:D

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 12:33 »
His studio makes mine look empty. LOL I have 1600 sq '  spacious with tall vaulted ceilings and a changing room having makeup mirrors and a wardrobe of model clothing. My walls are brick. In my spacious studio I have my lighting set-up that I move to different locations for different sets. I have a chase lounge, about 8 chairs and a futon and my backgrounds hanging from the walls. I have a few props crammed into a closet out of the way so it still looks nice and presentable so I can shoot senior and family photography because that is what pays our bills.
I wonder what his 20% is? Does he do anything besides stock photography?

vonkara

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 14:41 »
yep.. it looks pretty big alright :)

Here is the video
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck3Vh2Xp6sY&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
Video removed? Is it just me?

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 15:16 »

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 15:20 »
i fixed the original link.  They must have updated their video.

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 16:33 »
I don't have a studio either, and I am happy.  Imagine having to keep all that space spotless clean.  That's a nightmare to me!   ;D

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 17:46 »
A friend of minelet me use his studio some time ago. It was one corner with two white walls and three lights :)

As someone said, at least we know now not to shoot, OR we could go to IKEA and have some shots done :D

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 17:51 »
I don't have a studio either, and I am happy.  Imagine having to keep all that space spotless clean.  That's a nightmare to me!   ;D
Me neither ;D I take almost all my shots outside in fresh air and I would like to keep it that way. ;D
Interesting video tho... Makes me happy because it's telling me I am just playing and I enjoy it a lot actually.
@FlemishDreams: Good point about what kind of shots not to make.

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 18:34 »
Interesting video tho... Makes me happy because it's telling me I am just playing and I enjoy it a lot actually.
@FlemishDreams: Good point about what kind of shots not to make.
Yuri seems to enjoy it too: you can do it (very) seriously and still be happy with that.

We are talking about microstock here, right? You can argue again and again and explain why you don't like IKEA furnitures or blonde models, but the facts are that Yuri is #1 in this business.

The message still is, be different, at  1/10th of the cost.
And 1/100 of the earnings?

I often feel some jealousy as soon as we are talking about Yuri here ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 18:36 by araminta »

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 21:18 »
And 1/100 of the earnings?

Not necessarily.

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 21:44 »
We are talking about microstock here, right? You can argue again and again and explain why you don't like IKEA furnitures or blonde models, but the facts are that Yuri is #1 in this business.

In Europe, all my furniture happens to be IKEA  ;D
The lesson is not to shoot in an IKEA environment since Yuri took that market already.
Where is the "jealousy"?

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 21:45 »
And this is a big part of why Yuri 'owns' the market.
He decided to take traditional stock production values and saturate the microstock market.... and it worked.

I would LOVE to have the means to jump in at this level, but there is no chance for me or most of us here.

I suspect he had a big bankroll to begin with (maybe a wealthy father?), because one does not build up to this sort of studio location in only three years without either some help or a huge amount of luck.

Oh yes, by no means do I wish to belittle his talent at either photography or his business acumen. Yuri has both in spades!

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 22:41 »
The sole purpose of such movies, sponsored by stock agency of course, is to make all Yuri-wannabies drool and start feeling sudden urge to shoot and upload more :-) Most degenerated individuals may experience urge for keywording. Please do not exceed recommended doses of watching this material.

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 22:55 »
The sole purpose of such movies, sponsored by stock agency of course, is to make all Yuri-wannabies drool and start feeling sudden urge to shoot and upload more :-) Most degenerated individuals may experience urge for keywording. Please do not exceed recommended doses of watching this material.

Really? I thought Yuri was just sharing the love  ;D

vonkara

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 00:19 »
Did anyone noticed that all his studio look like this

But seriously I like this guy  :)