MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Considering Exclusivity  (Read 26723 times)

« on: June 28, 2009, 15:46 »
I never thought I'd ever seriously consider iStock exclusivity, but since my relationship with Fotolia is going sour, I'm seriously considering it. Fotolia was my second highest earning site, but I actually prefer the management at iStock. I'm a diamond level contributor at iStock, so my earnings would increase by 45%. Without Fotolia, it might make financial sense. My biggest frustration at iStock has been the senseless rejections, but that problem is mitigated to large extent by the Scout program.  I also appreciate the fact that they are the only site that allows you to correct problems and resubmit.

But I'm concerned that that if things go sour with iStock, I'm done for. Has anyone gone exclusive and then regretted it? Were the benefits what you expected? I haven't made any decisions yet, I'm just exploring my options.

Linda B

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 15:56 »
As a Diamond contributor, would your earnings at iStock not double?

I thought the payout at Diamond level was 40%...

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 16:01 »
I also appreciate the fact that they are the only site that allows you to correct problems and resubmit.

At least DT, StockXpert and Shutter allow you to do that as well.

bittersweet

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 16:07 »
I also appreciate the fact that they are the only site that allows you to correct problems and resubmit.

At least DT, StockXpert and Shutter allow you to do that as well.

As does Veer MP.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 16:48 »
As an independent contributor I'd be delighted if you chose exclusivity __ makes my life so much easier everywhere else!

I would warn you though that it's a easy road to travel down but much more difficult and costly to reverse. Apart from all the re-uploading you'd be back at the bottom rankings on commissions at SS & FT and Level 1 for all your images at DT. What a horrible thought.

FT, for all their many faults, appear to be the most aggressive and fastest growing agency out there. They've come from virtually nowhere to being the 3rd biggest agency in little more than three years. With the newly-recruited management team and the rumoured vast funding it doesn't look like they're happy to sit there either. I reckon they'll be up there jostling for position with IS before too long.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 16:54 »
Apart from all the re-uploading you'd be back at the bottom rankings on commissions at SS & FT and Level 1 for all your images at DT.

Why would you? Can't you keep your account and "just" delete all your files? That would keep your level in FT and your total earnings at SS wouldn't be lost as well...
For DT obviously that would not work...

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 17:13 »
As a Diamond contributor, would your earnings at iStock not double?

I thought the payout at Diamond level was 40%...

My mistake, I meant to say that my commission will rise from 20% to 45%. At least I thought it was 45%, maybe I'm wrong.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 17:30 »
As an independent contributor I'd be delighted if you chose exclusivity __ makes my life so much easier everywhere else!

I would warn you though that it's a easy road to travel down but much more difficult and costly to reverse. Apart from all the re-uploading you'd be back at the bottom rankings on commissions at SS & FT and Level 1 for all your images at DT. What a horrible thought.

FT, for all their many faults, appear to be the most aggressive and fastest growing agency out there. They've come from virtually nowhere to being the 3rd biggest agency in little more than three years. With the newly-recruited management team and the rumoured vast funding it doesn't look like they're happy to sit there either. I reckon they'll be up there jostling for position with IS before too long.

I've been doing great at IS lately -  Meanwhile my FT portfolio is frozen, my account may be deleted and I'm not making any money there at all. I have no idea how long this situation will continue, and I lose more money each day that it drags on. Meanwhile, IS exclusivity is looking more attractive all the time.

RT

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 17:34 »
Meanwhile my FT portfolio is frozen, my account may be deleted and I'm not making any money there at all. I have no idea how long this situation will continue, and I lose more money each day that it drags on.

If you're able to could you explain why your account is frozen there?

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 17:53 »
Meanwhile my FT portfolio is frozen, my account may be deleted and I'm not making any money there at all. I have no idea how long this situation will continue, and I lose more money each day that it drags on.

If you're able to could you explain why your account is frozen there?

They are having trouble with the fact that I purchased most of the models I use in my 3D renders, instead of creating the models myself. I thought I could clear everything up when I proved to them that my use of the models was permitted under the vendor's license agreement, but as of yet they are not satisfied with this and my account remains frozen.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 19:47 »
your choice, it doesn't work for me :)

Maybe I way off here but I would say that IS is less one for being able to resubmit.  Once they mark as this is not stock or whatever and flag as noresubmit you cannot resubmit and apparently resubmitting as a new image is big no-no as far as they are concerned (havent had a problem there myself though).  The other sites you just fix and submit as a new image.

personally if fotolia has this issue I would be much more worried about going to only agency in case the same thing happened there. if someone competing with you flags it to admin and you go through the whole thing again with istock you lose all your income. (and I thought istock were the strongest on trying to control these type of issues).

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 20:19 »
your choice, it doesn't work for me :)

Maybe I way off here but I would say that IS is less one for being able to resubmit.  Once they mark as this is not stock or whatever and flag as noresubmit you cannot resubmit and apparently resubmitting as a new image is big no-no as far as they are concerned (havent had a problem there myself though).  The other sites you just fix and submit as a new image.

personally if fotolia has this issue I would be much more worried about going to only agency in case the same thing happened there. if someone competing with you flags it to admin and you go through the whole thing again with istock you lose all your income. (and I thought istock were the strongest on trying to control these type of issues).

I agree with you, exclusivity is very risky, and probably a bad choice for me. I just want to know what, if any, alternatives there are out there for me. I've never had a site threaten to drop my entire portfolio before, and I'm so discouraged I'm even considering options that would have been unthinkable not too long ago. I'm still in shock that this would happen. But I won't make any decisions until I'm able to consider the situation calmly and rationally.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 00:58 »
They are having trouble with the fact that I purchased most of the models I use in my 3D renders, instead of creating the models myself. I thought I could clear everything up when I proved to them that my use of the models was permitted under the vendor's license agreement, but as of yet they are not satisfied with this and my account remains frozen.

istockphoto does not allow to use 3d models that you purchased too

Dook

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 02:21 »
I had similar experience, but as a photographer. Loosing your number 1 or number 2 earner cuts your income to almost a half. In that case going Istock exclusive is good choice and the only logical one. But, first you have to make sure all your work is legal. Dont give up, work hard.

michealo

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 04:39 »
I never thought I'd ever seriously consider iStock exclusivity, but since my relationship with Fotolia is going sour, I'm seriously considering it. Fotolia was my second highest earning site, but I actually prefer the management at iStock. I'm a diamond level contributor at iStock, so my earnings would increase by 45%. Without Fotolia, it might make financial sense. My biggest frustration at iStock has been the senseless rejections, but that problem is mitigated to large extent by the Scout program.  I also appreciate the fact that they are the only site that allows you to correct problems and resubmit.

But I'm concerned that that if things go sour with iStock, I'm done for. Has anyone gone exclusive and then regretted it? Were the benefits what you expected? I haven't made any decisions yet, I'm just exploring my options.

Linda B

I would pick up the phone and talk to someone in Calgary and get clarification on use of models etc. Don't know if you have images suitable for Vetta (guessing at diamond you do), you may want to get some clarification on adding some of these.

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 05:08 »
Don't forget that if you have images on Dreamstime you have to wait 6 months from when they went online before you can deactivate them. Don't close other accounts until that time is up, if you do decide to go exclusive on istock.

michealo

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 06:18 »
Don't forget that if you have images on Dreamstime you have to wait 6 months from when they went online before you can deactivate them. Don't close other accounts until that time is up, if you do decide to go exclusive on istock.

correction - one can delete 30% of them

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 07:44 »

istockphoto does not allow to use 3d models that you purchased too

This isn't true - I went through the same thing with iStock a few years ago. Someone discovered that I had used a purchased model, and they reported it to iStock. iStock disabled the image in question, and I had to prove that it's usage was legal. I even had to solicit help from the company I bought the model from. At one point, by some miracle, I was able to get Bruce Livingstone on the phone! (Bet that would never happen today ;)). The thing dragged on for a month, but finally iStock was assured that my usage of the model wasn't going to open them up to any legal liability, and they relented and the image was returned to my portfolio.

But iStock never disabled my ENTIRE portfolio! Fotolia disabled the two images in question - I had no problem with that - but then they disabled my entire portfolio ...and they are thinking about deleting it entirely. I even had a representative of the company I bought the model from email FT and assure them that this sort of usage is perfectly legal under their EULA. He also answered their questions, yet in spite of that FT is still thinking about deleting my portfolio, it is still offline.

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 08:23 »
Hi, I sometimes consider exlusivity at Istock as well (nowhere near you standard as I am a mere silver contributer) as Fotolia is really getting worse by the day and shutterstock is also not such a winner anymore but I am very afraid that I lose control over my own images. One exclusive I understand you are not allowed to sell or use your images by yourself (I don't mean via stock) Even images which has been rejected are no go. And all your eggs in one basket still seems to me is not very businesswise. But I hope some exlusive or ex exlusive will answer your question. That would really help.
Good luck with your decision.
Patricia

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 09:27 »
Hi, I sometimes consider exlusivity at Istock as well (nowhere near you standard as I am a mere silver contributer) as Fotolia is really getting worse by the day and shutterstock is also not such a winner anymore but I am very afraid that I lose control over my own images. One exclusive I understand you are not allowed to sell or use your images by yourself (I don't mean via stock) Even images which has been rejected are no go. And all your eggs in one basket still seems to me is not very businesswise. But I hope some exlusive or ex exlusive will answer your question. That would really help.
Good luck with your decision.
Patricia

I have the same concerns about exclusivity that you do. I enjoy being an independent, I like seeing how different types of images sell on different sites, and if an image is rejected by one agency, it will be accepted by others, so the illustration still has a chance and doesn't go to waste. I never imagined that I'd ever consider exclusivity with iStock or any other agency, but then I never considered the possibility of getting kicked out of Fotolia, either.

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 09:44 »
I see you have als artwork on your website. Isn't it true that you cannot sell this either once exclusive? I don't know how many sites you contribute to but maybe you can consider adding some other ones? There are now many more like Veer or Panthermedia http://www.panthermedia.net/?aff=125267
and I have no idea how Veer will work out but I am selling at Panthermedia (although not so much but sales do tend to be high and in euros).

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 10:25 »
If you are diamond, I have no idea why you are taking so long to decide or why you have waited this long.

I am now after 1 month of exclusivity exactly where I was in terms of revenue per month when I was with 5 sites, and I have a much better upload pattern.  One site is so much easier to handle, and if I'm making the same amount of money with less management and hassle, why not?

Go for it, and do it quickly.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 10:39 »
I see you have als artwork on your website. Isn't it true that you cannot sell this either once exclusive? I don't know how many sites you contribute to but maybe you can consider adding some other ones? There are now many more like Veer or Panthermedia http://www.panthermedia.net/?aff=125267
and I have no idea how Veer will work out but I am selling at Panthermedia (although not so much but sales do tend to be high and in euros).

You can sell prints, from your website, or elsewhere. You can sell RM images anywhere. Basically it's your copyright and you can do just about anything with your images except sell, or allow them to be sold, RF anywhere else. That includes iStock rejects.

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 12:40 »

You can sell prints, from your website, or elsewhere. You can sell RM images anywhere. Basically it's your copyright and you can do just about anything with your images except sell, or allow them to be sold, RF anywhere else. That includes iStock rejects.
[/quote]

So can you sell rejected images on IS elsewhere as RM?

helix7

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 12:46 »
If you are diamond, I have no idea why you are taking so long to decide or why you have waited this long.

I am now after 1 month of exclusivity exactly where I was in terms of revenue per month when I was with 5 sites, and I have a much better upload pattern.  One site is so much easier to handle, and if I'm making the same amount of money with less management and hassle, why not?

Go for it, and do it quickly.

Some people make a lot less money at istock than at other sites, and going exclusive could be a costly move. It's not so simple for everyone.