MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: News - Yuri Arcurs on Studio Essentials  (Read 7986 times)

News Feed

« on: July 07, 2009, 04:30 »
Yuri Arcurs on Studio Essentials

Second part of the guided tour in Yuri Arcurs' studio at Aarhus in Denmark deals with studio essentials - tools and things you absolutely need to have in your studio.

http://www.crestock.com/blog/photography/yuri-arcurs-on-studio-essentials-177.aspx

RT

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 05:12 »
I like the rolling staircase, I might have to build one of those.

My studio essential is a large black metal mechanics toolbox on wheels with ball bearing drawers, I can keep all my essentials like tapes,clip,clamps,batteries,remotes etc in it so that it's all to hand when needed, it's also what I place my laptop on when I'm shooting tethered.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 09:44 »
Nice videoclip but not very informative. The rolling staircase is a good idea in a large studio, but a couple of simple benches/tables of different height will do the trick in studios of mere mortals. The top platform is quite small and has no railing. What if you're peering trough your viewfinder and you lose your sense of balance? The skateboard is ok for large areas but I'd probably fall down and break my cam. At least Yuri Arcurs proved he is an acrobat too  :P

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 11:44 »
I bet he does not ride that skateboard while carrying his Hassy.
Can you imagine taking a tumble while holding that expensive gear?

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 11:47 »
Speaking of Video clips... Has Mr. Arcurs branched out into making video clips for stock yet?

If not, I think he is missing the boat.

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 13:20 »
I like his videoclips very much and waited to see this (part 2) unpaciently ! Feel a little bit disappointed because it is so short !

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 23:08 »
I am totally missing the point to his video besides it showing how big his studio is.

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 08:05 »
Speaking of Video clips... Has Mr. Arcurs branched out into making video clips for stock yet?
If not, I think he is missing the boat.

I think he has something in the pipe. I would be surprised if he didn't get on that boat which already left a while ago... ;)

I'm surprised to see his entire studio being white.

Whenever I saw a studio it's mainly painted black to reduce reflections of highly reflective objects. But I guess since his most reflective surfaces are the eyeballs of his models he can probably ignore that...

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 08:09 »
I am totally missing the point to his video besides it showing how big his studio is.

That's the whole point with men, show and brag about how big it is. And as we all know, Yuri is a superman  :P

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 11:31 »
I'm surprised to see his entire studio being white.

Whenever I saw a studio it's mainly painted black to reduce reflections of highly reflective objects. But I guess since his most reflective surfaces are the eyeballs of his models he can probably ignore that...

I did read these comments and the studio is  'Yuri's daylight studio' a very large white industrial greenhouse, sadly the local government planning and regulations, and the business rates (local taxes) in the UK would not make such a large project viable!

David  ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 11:47 by Adeptris »

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 16:16 »
Yuri was on Photoshoptv too, he's getting famous!  ;D

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 17:39 »
So I don't need lights, speedlites or backgrounds,
ahhhh I need skateboards, boxes and fans that's where I've been going wrong.

Compared to other video's I'd seen from Yuri this was the least helpful

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 20:43 »
sadly the local government planning and regulations, and the business rates (local taxes) in the UK would not make such a large project viable!
Do you mean local taxes are on square meter and they account for a lot?

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 22:49 »
after I thought about it.. I imagine Yuri's videos are not done free. Crestock has to pay him for them.. right?

well if he is getting paid and they dont care what he does them about.. He just got paid for showing objects with wheels and him skateboarding through his greenhouse studio laughing all the way to the bank. LOL

Why prep for a lengthy video that you would actually teach someone something useful?

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 00:51 »
Do you mean local taxes are on square meter and they account for a lot?
The Government look at the premises and the size and type of use for the area's inside and out to evaluate the rental value.

To use an industrial greenhouse as a studio you would have to apply for change of use, the unit would be revalued for rates, they would take into account the different areas, office, storage and the working studio area where the business operates which would be at a much higher rate than a greenhouse.  

Then they set a multiplier which is used to calculate and the rates In England, the standard multiplier for 2009-10 is 48.5, if you were renting a studio with a rateable value of 10,000, then the rates you would pay are 4,850, excluding any discounts or reductions that may be applicable.

As a guide in London an entry level 1000 sq ft studio space which is about 90 sq mtrs, the rental would be 10,000 - 25,000 based on condition and location, and the business rates 4,000 - 11,000 on top.

I can rent a studio with lights just for a part or full day, a full days studio rental would cost me about 500, but if a shoot cost and models could be spread by three photographers, then it might be workable.

David  ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 01:07 by Adeptris »

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 01:44 »
Why prep for a lengthy video that you would actually teach someone something useful?

Yuri has a couple of very useful videos about how to handle a model, especially how to freeze, and also how to catch different types of smiles.