MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: The birth of Microstock 2000 ....  (Read 3503 times)

« on: August 22, 2009, 12:06 »
I was looking up some information to answer another topic about free images, microstock was started in 2000 by Bruce Livingston as a free service, and the interview was 2005, the concepts and ideals are interesting reads, plus some good general business pointers that anyone could think about, so I thought I would add the link here at MicroStockGroup    

a) Listening to what your suppliers and customers want
b) Intuitive predictions for your supplier's and customer's immediate and future needs
c) Taking advice and criticism with the same value

In my opinion it is worth a read.

David
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 12:09 by Adeptris »

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 12:39 »
Good Read David, thanks for the post.

Best,
Jonathan

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 12:57 »
Jonathan,
I thought it would be a good read for anyone in the industry at any level, even the comments at the end of the blog post are worth an extra read.

Anyone thinking of becoming a new start-up should read what made Istock a success, and with contributors the comments about open community put a smile on my face  ;D  

Anyone can copy the iStockphoto model, but it would be difficult to create a community like iStockphoto today. The real secret at iStockphoto is the openness and connection between photographers and designers.

David  ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 12:59 by Adeptris »

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 13:37 »
Yeah it's interesting how he mentions how the community is so important, but a couple of comments mention how censorship is so prevalent in the forums. I've never understood why microstock sites create forums, only to become paranoid about what is discussed in them. Shutterstock's forums seem to have very little censorship, but it hasn't stopped it from being a success. I'm not a contributor to Istock by the way, so don't know if the comments are true or not.

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 14:46 »
The Forums are a tool required to build a 'community' and it saves being a proper business that pays for content from it's suppliers, photographers are able to dicusss how to improve thier skills, what kit to use and share thier positive experiences with every extended licence sale getting a "YaHoo" followed by a list of "well done" replies.

But as the community grows and they become less of an asset, and if you have an elite set of contributors with a bit of back biting, or your business is going through transitions and the contributors do not like you cahnging policy, you have to protect the business.

There are two different approches I have seen, the first cheapest option being to use the elite contributors to police the forums and stamp on any dissent, the second is to close all forums except one ot two leaving the communication channel open, and the stocksite then can manage and police this cut down version of the forum.

I have contributed and used the forums on IS, SS and Alamy and all police the forums and will delete posts and even bar anyone that has negative comments to post, that brings home the point that they are running a business.

David