MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: which wacom intuos to buy, 3 or 4  (Read 7061 times)

« on: September 02, 2009, 08:18 »
I am going to buy a wacom intuos tablet to make life easier when using the pen tool etc. From what I have read, the intuos 4 is much better than the old intuos 3, however, the 3 is now half the price of the 4 in the used market. For those of you that have used both, do you think I would regret not spending the extra on a 4. I havn't used a pen before, so it will all be new to me, and I will pay extra for a 4 if I thought I would regret not getting one later.
Here in England, a medium intuos 4 is about 300, and the average used price for a 3 is about 150.
many thanks.

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 09:09 »
Hey, I just today got my second Intuos 4 replacing an older intuos 3 i was using at home.

For me the Intuos 4 was worth not only twice the price, but I needed two of them as well! Highly recommended. You spend a long time with whatever pointing device you use, and the Intuous is so much more *intuitive* and comfortable to use that i would suggest getting the 4 or biding time with a mouse until you can.

Hope that helps!

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 09:20 »
I can't say about 3 vs 4, but I never took to the tablet. I bought a 3 and did a few illustrations with it, but decided I liked the mouse better. I guess you don't know until you try it though.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 09:48 »
I went from 3 (a5 wide) to 4 (large) a couple of months ago.
Can't say I find the 4 a lot easier to work with, apart from the size.
To have the controls on one is convenient.
The white oled is really cool though  :)

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 10:56 »
I got a 4 recently, the stores around here still have 3's on their websites but they don't actually have any and can no longer get them.  (I AM in a small market though).

There is a new major vendor in town, I called to see what they had and he had one in stock.  He makes sure I know they price match.

So... I went to Wacom's site, looked up their authorized sellers, all the stores in town have it for between $449 and $549 (Canadian).  But... I see that Costco online sells them.  I never would have thought that they Costco would carry a tablet.  Anyhow, their price was $399 vs $449 at Henry's.  I printed it off and took it in.  He matched the price (although he let me know that they don't normally match Costco.

So the moral of my story is, look up the retailers in your country and make sure you get the best price, most electonics stores here price match.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 03:19 »
Dont know if starting a thread for this...

Wich size do you recommend for a 20" wide + 17" standard dual screen?

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 08:51 »
Thanks for the comments. I have decided to go for the intuos 4. I know I will keep wondering if I get a 3 :)
As for the last question, I have read many people are happy with the medium size with most screen setups, but I guess it depends on what your main use will be. I just need it for photo manipulation but if you are doing illustrations I guess the bigger size would be better. Maybe someone better qualified may make a comment.
Thanks everyone.

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 10:32 »
I got a 4 medium. Good set up. The wheel is not as useful as I first thought. Four positions on it make it too difficult to fly around the different settings. You can program it for one or two usages which is about right. The buttons are a bit stiff for my liking. However they are handy especially for multi command segments. I found the wheel mouse really nice for Lightroom.

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 18:25 »
And how do you manage a dual screen with the tablet?
I actually own a bamboo and it is too small to handle both screens. Vertical is ok but horizontal is too long for such small tablet and the handling is horrible.
I have limited the tablet area for the main screen and If I have something in the second screen I have to go with the mouse.

Its time to upgrade the tablet.

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 04:32 »
to figure out the size do this:

get a pen and paper and look at your computer monitor.  put the pen in the top left corner of the paper and look at the top left corner of the screen.  Then move your eyes around the screen to all the corners and accross and back and forth and around while moving your pen on the paper at a similar distance to what you think it should move if it was a mouse.  Eventually you will end up with a rough shape, measure it and pick a tablet to match.

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 07:56 »
Just to add that I received my Intuos 4 medium this morning, and I love it!! ;D