MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Stolen identity on SS!!!  (Read 6257 times)

« on: September 09, 2009, 12:40 »
...after login problems  I went to mine mail account...very unpleasant surprise was already there:

Hi,

This email is to inform you that your account information below has recently been changed:

"Site Copyright Display Name" was changed from "trucic" to "Jonny Bravo"
"Email Address" was changed from "trucic@xxxxx" to "[email protected]"
"Paypal/Moneybookers Email Address
(if different)" was changed from "xxxxxxx" to "[email protected]"
"Phone Number" was changed from "+3816xxxxxxx" to "+6315881860"

If you did not make these changes, please contact Shutterstock Support immediately.

...of course, I contacted support immediately and can`t wait answer for them...I can`t believe thet this is happenig to me...or maybe I`m not only one?!

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 12:51 »
Has someone hacked in to your email account?  I hope you can sort this out before they send a payment.

All the sites should add an extra level of security.  They could send another password or pin number to our snail mail addresses to access our money only.

Microbius

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 13:03 »
That's really bad, I hope it gets sorted ASAP

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 13:16 »
Just sucks.

I would actually go a step further and report that paypal email address directly to Paypal. Just explain simply what happened and hopefully PP can shut him down. Because he was able to hack into your account likely means he will do it to someone else if he is allowed to continue. Just a suggestion if you care to pursue.

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 13:17 »
Has someone hacked in to your email account?  I hope you can sort this out before they send a payment.

All the sites should add an extra level of security.  They could send another password or pin number to our snail mail addresses to access our money only.

Don't say that  :). My snail mail address changes so often. I had enough problems proving I was British for the tax thing, as my address at the time was out of the UK. It's good that they email about the changes. I'm sure ss will sort it out pretty fast.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 13:27 »
This is unnerving. I hope they solve this for you as soon as possible.

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 13:29 »
...thank you all for your support! I called SS and they are inspecting this case now! Very profesional and fast from them, hope that results will be here soon! Cheers

update: PROBLEM SOLVED! Two phone calls and they already solved the case! SS was and will stay my number in stock business! Thank you all for understanding and support! cheers
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 14:06 by trucic »

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 14:14 »
...update: PROBLEM SOLVED! Two phone calls and they already solved the case! SS was and will stay my number in stock business! Thank you all for understanding and support! cheers

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 14:43 »
Update your antivirus, add some firewall if you don't have it in your router, don't allow browsers to remember any of your login information, change password from time to time, don't install any suspicious application from any suspicious website, don't ever send your login information using various instant messengers, and don't send your login info to any email address ...  :)

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 15:22 »
...update: PROBLEM SOLVED! Two phone calls and they already solved the case! SS was and will stay my number in stock business! Thank you all for understanding and support! cheers

thanks for keeping us posted and kudos to SS for acting quick on this.

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 15:44 »
^^^ I'd agree but did you get any information of exactly what happened?

Was it a mistake, a glitch in the system or was it a genuine hack? If the latter was it your own PC that was compromised or Shutterstock's system?

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 18:10 »
It's great to see that SS acted so quickly. Did you find out what the problem was? In any case, Whitechild's recommendations above are good to follow...

helix7

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 22:39 »
Change those passwords often... and use complicated passwords, not "swordfish" or some simple name or word.

I also got one of those security keys from PayPal, which adds another layer of security to your login. Highly recommended. With that I feel like my money is safe in PayPal even if one of my microstock accounts was compromised.

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 00:16 »
...nothing to know yet, they are inspecting case and will inform me....I already changed vital passwords after scan...thank you, guys! Cheers

RacePhoto

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 00:35 »
Change those passwords often... and use complicated passwords, not "swordfish" or some simple name or word.

But Horse Feathers is one of my all time favorite movies!  ;D

It's not to difficult to have a notebook, I have a steno book, and keep passwords according to type or site, or usage. Newer browsers like Firefox have syncronizers so it's on any machine, for people like me with seven or more computers, but I still have the trusty analog system going back to dialup days. You don't have to memorize 1000 passwords anymore.

Long ago I changed to mixed letters and numbers which aren't that hard to get used to. If I actually used SWORDFISH an example would be 5wordf1sh or 5w0rdf1sh which keeps the guessers and dictionary based attacks less likely to hit your password. I've never used swordfish, my pets name, a friends name, or "password". Think out of the box to hinder the guessers.

I still have friends who use the same password just about everywhere. Hey, when you login to a site, what's to say they aren't collecting or that some tiny site hasn't been compromised and then someone searches for your name on the web and tries the password they collected somewhere else? Then the site where they get in is accused of poor security when the source is some basement operation.

Never use the same password anywhere on the web for any site, that you do for email. That way if they get in to one, it won't compromise the backup. Just like why SS wrote the alert that a password or account information had been changed. A good hacker would be stealing your email at the same time, so someone would never have got that notice.

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 02:12 »
I still think it would be easy for the sites to ask for another password or security number when we withdraw funds.  The paypal key is good and they could use something similar or just asking for our date of birth might stop a thief.

It is great that SS acted so fast but if this happens when we are on a 2 week vacation, the thief could get away with it.