pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Fotoglif - Free images for bloggers, opens the doors for submissions  (Read 6233 times)

« on: October 05, 2009, 13:48 »
Here is their site
http://www.fotoglif.com/about/

Here is a write up by MyStockPhoto.org
http://www.mystockphoto.org/fotoglif-stock-photo/

and here is the deal:
Their concept is providing images free for use on the internet.  They make money by requiring the image user to place a code on their site which displays the image along with a link back to Fotoglif as well as a google ad which is placed under the image.  The photographer gets 50% of the adsense (google ad) revenue.

You won't see me signing up anytime soon, but if someone does I would be interested to know how it goes.

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 14:28 »
I may send some of my rejects to them, like I do with SXC.

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 14:43 »
LMAO !!!!! .. Well considering that most people will not click on the adsense banner combined with the fact that Google will pay as low as 1 penny per click (you never know what a click is worth) .. 50% of crap is just a chunk of poo.

I don't think I will be wasting time to even bother clicking the link and looking at their site.

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 14:46 »
Or alternatively you could blog your own photos like this and get 100% of the adsense revenue - I can't really understand why contributors would want to have their images used in this way to potentially earn 50% of nothing.

Surely if a blogger has something worth saying then they wouldn't want to be sharing the adsense revenue in any case?

Looks like we're in for a trend of giving away images to bloggers. Personally I'm not impressed by the Crestock version either - they claim that the image is watermarked - but the samples I've seen look more like captions than watermarks. Again its just a site trying to fund its marketing at the expense of photographers.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 14:48 »
I had a look and I see they have 818341 getty images.  Perhaps this is worth checking out?  Microstock was laughed at a few years ago, I wouldn't be surprised to see other ways of making money from images come along.  This might not be it but who knows?

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 14:56 »
I had a look and I see they have 818341 getty images.  Perhaps this is worth checking out?  Microstock was laughed at a few years ago, I wouldn't be surprised to see other ways of making money from images come along.  This might not be it but who knows?

This is the same Getty deal as PicApps, Getty wholly own the images, any payment goes into Getty's bottom line, no contributor share.

With Getty and Corbis allowing thier owned images to be used by these services, could wrongly encourage contributors

David   :o
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 15:12 by Adeptris »

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 15:07 »
How would a contributor possibly verify that the ad revenue was being honestly reported? 

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 05:38 »
Hi Leaf, thanks for the mention of mystockphoto.org
I'm trying to set up a few albums there just to see how it works:
http://fotoglif.com/user/vgoq2vwt1ob8

Their creative catalog is really at the beginning. Useful info on a fOTOGLIF's tweet:
"might be kinda cool to setup a photo-call area of the site for pubs to request content they need for posts from photogs"

Cheers,
       roberto

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 06:31 »
Or alternatively you could blog your own photos like this and get 100% of the adsense revenue - I can't really understand why contributors would want to have their images used in this way to potentially earn 50% of nothing.

Surely if a blogger has something worth saying then they wouldn't want to be sharing the adsense revenue in any case?

Looks like we're in for a trend of giving away images to bloggers. Personally I'm not impressed by the Crestock version either - they claim that the image is watermarked - but the samples I've seen look more like captions than watermarks. Again its just a site trying to fund its marketing at the expense of photographers.

You could write your own blog but if multiple people use your photo for their blogs then you get a multiplying effect.

Not that I think its a good idea, but if you had 10000 bloggers use your photo on their blog, and you get 1% clicks at 5 cents a click then you might be able to buy a coffee or something. etc  multiply that by 1000 photos etc. there must be more bloggers in the world than photo buyers.

you really need to know 3 things

1)how many people will use a photo
2) what percentage of clicks on the banner/ad
3) what you get for each click.

I won't be signing up, more money and less risk in microstock

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 08:12 »
I don't think it will give a high enough return, the code renders an image from 235px - 728px with a description, a google ad or two a photographers credit and a link back to Fotoglif, the right mouse is disabled.

There are no links or affiliate links back to the artists portfolio from Fotoglif or the blog post which might have added value, so the only revenue to share between two or three parties is the targetted adsense revenue.

I do not think the uptake by casual bloggers will produce enough revenue, the blogs that get a lot of hits already use microstock for images, and already have thier own Adsense revenue streams, Fotoglif offer 20% affiliate fee, so the blogger would loses 80% of thier Google income for that pages impressions.

Fotoglif have not developed the three key blog plug-in applications for WordPress, Live Writer and Word, and offer affiliate programs for publishers and developers at 20%.

Artist 50%
Publisher 20%
Developer 20%

Not much left to run the business servers on?

Blogging is a business tool that earns advertising revenue, it does not need free images or services trying to take it's revenue, it needs images delivered to the blog or application, with easy access and pay-per-download.

David ("Simples") ???
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:26 by Adeptris »

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 09:55 »
Just to mention, with our Microstock Plugin http://www.microstockplugin.com you can enable the affiliate program of Fotolia and we will automaticaly set backlinks to the bought image with your partner id.

Is there any need to give you a photo upload process where you can upload your free images and anybody else can use them in blogs for free (or with an affiliate link or so)?

Any more ideas how to get more visitors for your blog/website/portfolio with our plugin?

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 06:37 »
The free preview of microstock images provides Pixmac.com (only drom Pixmac collection, but it's more than 100 000 images)...

1.)
http://www.pixmac.com/pictures/;collection:subscription

2.) e.g.: http://www.pixmac.com/picture//000022472679

3.) At the bottom of page "Free image preview for your blog" -> click "more" and there is prepared HTML code

It's good solution to place Pixmac affiliate code to this link... it works for me  8)