pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Bad things about to happen ...  (Read 57841 times)

« on: October 12, 2009, 16:07 »
Just tried a couple of searches on Photos.com Plus, to see how the search-order was working, and when I clicked on one of my own images ... this message popped up in bright red type;

Alert: This image will not be available to download or license after November 2.

Looks like the party might be over fairly soon after all. Oh well.

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 16:14 »
I just posted in the IS forums asking for an update. If customers are being told something, seems only right contributors should be kept updated too...

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 16:24 »
Exploring a bit further on PCP it's actually quite difficult to find images that don't have that message (apart from the really dated wholly-owned stuff with everyone in brown suits, etc). Their customers must be delighted seeing that everwhere, especially if they've only recently renewed their subscription!

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 16:33 »
Most sales from StockXpert are coming from photos.com or Jupiterimages.
So buy buy StockXpert

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 16:39 »
So buy buy StockXpert

Most sales maybe but not most of the money. JIU/PC together are only about one third of my StockXpert revenue. Shame to lose it though.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 16:40 »
So buy buy StockXpert

It was buy buy StockXpert now it's by-by StockXpert.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 16:43 »
So buy buy StockXpert

It was buy buy StockXpert now it's by-by StockXpert.

It was more like buy this company just what SS did with BS...
before it is bye bye StockXpert

(sorry for my bad English)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 16:50 by kaycee »

lisafx

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 18:02 »
Thanks for the update Gostwyck.  I don't do sample searches there, so I probably would not have known until the sales just dried up. 

I still don't see how this could possibly be a sound business decision on their part to remove, what 80-90% of the content from their sub sites? 

From reading the Jonathan Klein statements posted by Sean on Istock it sounds like Getty has big plans for their subscription sites, but where will they get the content? 

With the poor deal being offered to independents through istock and with the dislike of many exclusives to low sub prices and to having their brand diluted, how is Getty going to stock their sub sites???

RacePhoto

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 18:41 »
Just tried a couple of searches on Photos.com Plus, to see how the search-order was working, and when I clicked on one of my own images ... this message popped up in bright red type;

Alert: This image will not be available to download or license after November 2.

Photos.com says this:

Next month, the ultimate subscription will get even better: Were adding a new content source and will be adding fresh content daily. Expect over 1 million new images by the end of November.

While the current page says over 350,000 images. Maybe it's not all bad news? Where do you guess they will be getting 1 million new images to replace the over 350,000 images they now offer? IS isn't going to move best sellers from the profitable area into cheap downloads. Possibly from another partnership with a different site?

Considering that most of the Micro sites offer basically all the same images, it's like moving your money from one pocket to another. Nothing changes except where it comes from when you spend it.  ;D

Maybe for StockXpert it will mean attracting more customers there for better sales, not the 30c subs.

Why is everyone so negative all the time?

If they close StockXpert and mail me a final payment, that's fine. Same as LO and SV. How many people here are still feeling negative economic effects from SV or LO closing down? Do you really, really miss those two?  :D

WarrenPrice

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 18:48 »
I'm not following this very well.  Really never have???  What does the red-letter message have to do with StockXpert? 
Maybe I'm seeing it from a different point of view.  I opted out of JIU/Photos.com.  Do the red letters mean that anyone wanting the "red-letter" images will have to buy them from StockXpert????

vonkara

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 19:03 »

While the current page says over 350,000 images. Maybe it's not all bad news? Where do you guess they will be getting 1 million new images to replace the over 350,000 images they now offer? IS isn't going to move best sellers from the profitable area into cheap downloads. Possibly from another partnership with a different site?

I awesomely hope that you are right. I don't want to start selling extended licence for 0.30 on Istock. I'm opted out of that rip off, it was a mistake. Nothing more to add about photos.com "deal"

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 20:09 »
I would like to see something positive in this and I really hope you are right, RacePhoto.

StockXpert has always had steady sales for me and I would like that some replacement is found for that volume.

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 22:08 »

Past experiences?

The concern is that the agencies are looking for some short term boosts in income but that for contributors this may come at the expense of long term income growth.

RacePhoto

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 00:51 »
I would like to see something positive in this and I really hope you are right, RacePhoto.

StockXpert has always had steady sales for me and I would like that some replacement is found for that volume.

Not right or wrong and I don't have a guess at what will happen. I'm just seeing people going "woe is me" StockXpert is dying. The party's over. The sky is falling...  ;D

I wanted to point out that maybe there will be something positive at StockXpert and it's not the end. Photos.com will have to get that 1 million photos from somewhere else. I don't know what Jupiter will do?

But if StockXpert shuts down and pays me, I won't complain. The sales are inconsequential and almost 100% of mine are 30c subs. People who opted out of that program shouldn't be missing much either. For me this all may be good news.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 00:56 by RacePhoto »

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 02:15 »

Photos.com says this:

Next month, the ultimate subscription will get even better: Were adding a new content source and will be adding fresh content daily. Expect over 1 million new images by the end of November.

Considering that most of the Micro sites offer basically all the same images, it's like moving your money from one pocket to another. Nothing changes except where it comes from when you spend it.  ;D

Maybe for StockXpert it will mean attracting more customers there for better sales, not the 30c subs.

If they close StockXpert and mail me a final payment, that's fine. Same as LO and SV. How many people here are still feeling negative economic effects from SV or LO closing down? Do you really, really miss those two?  :D

Actually on Photos.com it says "Search over 2 million images". Maybe for new customers they limited the access to only 350,000.
I actually do not believe that the one million will come through other sources than from iS. There was a newsletter a long time ago which stated that istock already has a few hundered thousand images opted in for that plan. It was a pretty high number not so far away from that 1 million.

Oh and StockXpert is a far better earner than LO and SV combined.

grp_photo

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 05:34 »

I made a very high five-digits amount with StockXpert in only a few years with nearly zero work because I had the pictures with IPTC already and uploading was supereasy (I never felt the need to categorize), I also liked the fair percentage etc. I will miss them very much.
I also missing LO liked the style of the site and made a decent amount of money (four-digits) in the short time they existed.

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 13:21 »
It is my prediction that the only change to StockXpert as a contributor is that the majority of their sales will be on demand sales.  If StockXpert's database becomes more different then what's available on Istock's then this may be a possitive change for us contributors.

WarrenPrice

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 13:51 »
It is my prediction that the only change to StockXpert as a contributor is that the majority of their sales will be on demand sales.  If StockXpert's database becomes more different then what's available on Istock's then this may be a possitive change for us contributors.

I hope you are right. 

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 13:52 »

OD sales are 0 right now.  Do you mean "positive" zero???

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 14:58 »
StockXpert is redundant in the Getty scheme of things.  If they decide to dump the non-exclusives to IS then thats different, but they have their subs in photos.com powered by old IS files, and they have their premium stock at IS, so I'm not sure where StockXpert fits.

Probably good to say the goodbyes now

WarrenPrice

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 15:31 »
StockXpert is redundant in the Getty scheme of things.  If they decide to dump the non-exclusives to IS then thats different, but they have their subs in photos.com powered by old IS files, and they have their premium stock at IS, so I'm not sure where StockXpert fits.

I hope you are wrong.  There are a few of us who do not upload to IS.  Our only link is a portfolio at StockXpert.  I hope our images are good enough to sell.  Drop StockXpert and those images are no longer available to Getty. 
I'm curious as how the relationship between JIU and StockXpert works???

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 16:02 »
I think they will fill photoscom with rejected photos from exclusives. In their contract is that they can do with rejected photos what they want so they peace of pie will bee 100% and for authors 0%. Maybe thats the reason why exclusives cant sell their rejected images on other sites. From iStock POW the 20% commission is extremely ultra turbo noble fair in that case.
 ;D

If it will not bee like that I dont see how they will do that. They are unable to fix their simple upload application half year, how they handlee more complex thing then???
I feel like I was there  ;D

Apple-Get A Mac-Pie Chart
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 16:33 by Suljo »

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 17:30 »
StockXpert is redundant in the Getty scheme of things.  If they decide to dump the non-exclusives to IS then thats different, but they have their subs in photos.com powered by old IS files, and they have their premium stock at IS, so I'm not sure where StockXpert fits.

I wonder if photos.com customers will be satisfied with old istock files?  I don't think they are going to like the change, lots of great portfolios will be replaced by old images, how can that be good?  Hopefully they will discover shutterstock or perhaps they will just use StockXpert subs?

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 17:40 »
I wonder if photos.com customers will be satisfied with old istock files?  I don't think they are going to like the change, lots of great portfolios will be replaced by old images, how can that be good?  Hopefully they will discover shutterstock or perhaps they will just use StockXpert subs?

True enough. To be honest I don't really understand why anyone would subscribe to Photos.com unless they were completely unaware of the mainstream micro's. Once those 3M StockXpert files disappear they'll be even less incentive.

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 17:46 »
It's a Walmart of stock photography. All these people care is low price. Photos rejected from IS might just good enough for them.