pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: FT extended licenses  (Read 8962 times)

« on: October 23, 2009, 00:00 »
$6.20....
I started with them a couple of months ago, and had 1 EL before but didnt even notice it was an EL because of the ridiculously low amount i got for it.
And now again... as far as i can see it has more or less the same conditions as EL"s on SS and iStock, where does this ridiculously low amount come from? Or am i missing something else?

This is just...i dont know...angering would be an understatement right now.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 02:36 »
As you go up the rankings, they let you set higher prices for EL's.  I was looking forward to increasing mine when I reached gold but now they have moved that and I need another 5,000 downloads.  I have to put up with new contributors with similar portfolios to mine being given a gold ranking and setting higher EL prices as soon as they join.  I'm not bitter :)

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 02:44 »
 I get nearly 80$ for ELs at Fotolia.  Far higher than I get anywhere else so what you lose in the early days you more than make up for as you go up the ranks.

traveler1116

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 03:33 »
You can email FT to change all of your prices, they did that for me.   Hey I have something good to say about FT?

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 08:06 »
I just clicked on one of your photo's and saw you have your EL price was set to $50.  Assuming your photo is non-exclusive and seeing your rank is bronze your commission rate is 32% and so the payment should have been $16.
I'm bronze for a long time, and I got 3 ELs this month, 6$ something each. That's 4 euro, hahaha. Do you really mean we have to beg FL to get the right commission, and it's not automatic, as it should be? Oh my!
I don't email their support any more since I never got a reply on an urgent question 2 years go.
I don't understand their complicated ranking and commission system but I know that the time spent uploading there I could better have flipped hamburgers.

Update: correction, 2 ELs this month at 6.40$, and the month before 1 at 3.20$. I just discovered the forum at FT and it was all hailing about "BME" and "way to go". I won't reply since my contribution to that forum will be banned I guess. SS gives me 28$+ for an EL. Time to call it day at FT probably.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 08:43 by FD-amateur »

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 11:05 »
Thanks a lot for the input guys! :)
My older pics indeed are still set to $20.
I never knew we had to change the settings manually (c'mon, how absurd is that?!); surfed around there and couldnt even find out how to do it. Some more information from their side wouldnt have been bad. (maybe an email reminder when you switch rankings). Ah well, $10 lost because of a stupid system. I mailed support now.

sharpshot: i would be utterly upset in your place (to put it lightly)!! What a slap in the face! Why dont you mail them and urge them to do the same for you?... gebus, what are they thinking?!

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 12:33 »
I mailed support to raise it. Fair enough if you can set your own prices, i just didn't know it!
Before signing up i usually read all terms and conditions carefully to not have any nasty surprises...but i nowhere read that we could set them manually. Admitting it could be an error from my side and i missed it; but i still feel misinformed and ripped off by them, no sane person would leave it at $20  :-\

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 13:06 »
Don't worry about e-mailing support.  I raised my prices a short while ago, and they changed very quickly - it may have been the same day, or certainly no longer than 24 hours.

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 13:10 »
I wouldn't want someone else to determine my prices for me.  I can charge up to $200 for my Extended License option but I choose to keep it at $75 so that I have more sales.  If the maximum sales price were automatically updated then I would have been forced to go through and manually reduce them.

Yes, but it would be nice if FT would provide a button that would allow us to change the EL price across the board (or for a selection of images).

Having to change one image at a time is not user-friendly at all and very time consuming (especially for those with 100s or 1000s of image).

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 13:28 »
I wouldn't want someone else to determine my prices for me.  I can charge up to $200 for my Extended License option but I choose to keep it at $75 so that I have more sales.  If the maximum sales price were automatically updated then I would have been forced to go through and manually reduce them.

Yes, but it would be nice if FT would provide a button that would allow us to change the EL price across the board (or for a selection of images).

Having to change one image at a time is not user-friendly at all and very time consuming (especially for those with 100s or 1000s of image).

I agree, that would be a great feature.

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 15:28 »
Do you really mean we have to beg FL to get the right commission, and it's not automatic, as it should be? Oh my!
I wouldn't say you have to beg, but you have to ask, because you set the price up to your limit. They are very fast about this change, or at least were every time I asked them for a change.

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 15:39 »
Do you really mean we have to beg FL to get the right commission, and it's not automatic, as it should be? Oh my!
I wouldn't say you have to beg, but you have to ask, because you set the price up to your limit. They are very fast about this change, or at least were every time I asked them for a change.
I just emailed them this week and they changed the prices for me the next day. Still, there should be a way of changing the prices for all images at once.

lisafx

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 17:11 »
Hmmmm.   I have mine set at 60.  I certainly don't get many of them even though that is pretty low. 

I am thinking it would be a good idea to bump them to 100.  Off to write to support... :)

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 17:38 »
I get nearly 80$ for ELs at Fotolia.  Far higher than I get anywhere else so what you lose in the early days you more than make up for as you go up the ranks.

Sorry but this is more of an olden-days story at FT... things have changed such that most contributors won't be reaching the higher rankings anytime soon. I'd love for it to be different, but the signs aren't good.

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 01:00 »
I guess that youre right, I was lucky enought to get in before they changed the rules.

Sorry but this is more of an olden-days story at FT... things have changed such that most contributors won't be reaching the higher rankings anytime soon. I'd love for it to be different, but the signs aren't good.

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 01:11 »
I have mine set at 200$ and sell more than when I had them priced much lower.  Give it a go at that price and you might be pleasantly surprised. 

Hmmmm.   I have mine set at 60.  I certainly don't get many of them even though that is pretty low. 

I am thinking it would be a good idea to bump them to 100.  Off to write to support... :)

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 18:18 »
I have mine set at 200$ and sell more than when I had them priced much lower.  Give it a go at that price and you might be pleasantly surprised. 

Yeah, for me the Vetta collection and the responses from buyers on it in the forums showed that when customers want something they'll usually go for it, almost no matter what the cost; might just as well set it high'ish.
Then again, i wonder if setting it pretty high makes buyers think "we'll go for the normal RF license and will take the risk" when the usage would require an EL...