pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Anyone editing photos with a Cintiq Tablet?  (Read 8595 times)

« on: October 28, 2009, 07:36 »
Is anyone using these for editing?  I just saw one and got to try it out a little and it seems quite nice, but the intuos tablets work quite well so I am not sure the extra $$ would really be worth having the image ON the tablet. 

Any thoughts from experience.

Cintiq Tablets

Intuos Tablets

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 09:01 »
Leaf, no experience but I would find it annoying looking down all the time. I like having my head looking forward. It's much more relaxing over a long period of time. That's because of a few neck injuries so healthy people probably wouldn't see this as an issue.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 13:51 »
I have pondered that question myself, but ultimitely I go back and forth between the keyboard and my Intuos.  Wouldn't you have to lay the Cintiq down and pull out your keyboard every time you named a file, a layer, added a keyword?

I would love to be able to draw, but I don't want to learn how.  How sweet the Cintiq would be if you are an illustrator.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 14:36 »
Yes, works great!

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 01:49 »
Yes I had it for a year now. This is an amazing tool!!! just love it. Use it to edit my photos. You will not find anything else that is more precise and that will make your editing work faster then the CINTIQ 21". With this I am using 64 bits photoshop CS4, 8gb ram memory and a better then average graphic card. I got it for $2000.00 CA at Future Shop last year, but now it is $2500.00 CA. I haven't checked prices in the US lately. I did a few vectors as well using Illustrator CS4. I only have a few hours a week for microstock and that tool save me a lot of time.

It does make a good prop for your model too!!!

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-23816311/stock-photo-woman-drawing-on-a-digital-tablet.html

Denis
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 02:02 by cybernesco »

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 02:12 »
how do you manage using a keyboard and the tablet at the same time?

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 02:26 »
how do you manage using a keyboard and the tablet at the same time?

The computer understand the tablet's pen signals the same as if it was coming from a mouse. Therefore for the computer the relationship between mouse and keyboard is the same as the relationship between tablet's pen and keyboard.  I can move the arrow by hovering the pen 1/4 " over the tablet the same as I can move the arrow by moving the mouse. A left click of the mouse is the same as one tap of the pen's tip on the tablet. They all can co-exist together, mouse, pen and keyboard as none lose its regular functions. Denis

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 02:47 »
I have pondered that question myself, but ultimitely I go back and forth between the keyboard and my Intuos.  Wouldn't you have to lay the Cintiq down and pull out your keyboard every time you named a file, a layer, added a keyword?

With the Cintiq you need to let the pen go so that you can type with both hands for the same reason that you need to let the mouse go so that you can type with both hands. You do need more space as the tablet should be layed down at 45 degrees or less which would put your keyboard in a more difficult position to reach. In my case, it is more on the left side of the tablet. When I edit, my right hand is on the pen most of the time and my left hand is used to handle the keyboard and the tablet's left side buttons. The technique is definetly not the same as the mouse but the positioning is similar. You just need a wider space. Denis
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:02 by cybernesco »

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 03:37 »
I have pondered that question myself, but ultimitely I go back and forth between the keyboard and my Intuos.  Wouldn't you have to lay the Cintiq down and pull out your keyboard every time you named a file, a layer, added a keyword?

With the Cintiq you need to let the pen go so that you can type with both hands for the same reason that you need to let the mouse go so that you can type with both hands. You do need more space as the tablet should be layed down at 45 degrees or less which would put your keyboard in a more difficult position to reach. In my case, it is more on the left side of the tablet. When I edit, my right hand is on the pen most of the time and my left hand is used to handle the keyboard and the tablet's left side buttons. The technique is definetly not the same as the mouse but the positioning is similar. You just need a wider space. Denis

yeah this is what I was wondering about.  I use the Intuos 3 tablet now so I know how the tablets work, but having such a large tablet I was curious where you fit your keyboard.

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 04:40 »

yeah this is what I was wondering about.  I use the Intuos 3 tablet now so I know how the tablets work, but having such a large tablet I was curious where you fit your keyboard.

Sorry about my babling about stuff you knew....to be more precise, I position the right 2/3 of myself behind the tablet and the left 1/3 of myself behind the keyboard. If you are left handed then it would be the opposite. The tablet is sitting at about 40 degrees from the table and slighly turned towards me. The keyboard is slighly turned towards me as well. To stay away from the keyboard as much as I can, I programmed the most used keys on the tablet's and pen's buttons. Such as cut, paste, go back and go forward are all programmed in the tablet and pen's buttons. Perhaps I should mention that the Cintiq came with handwriting recognition software so that you can use the Cintiq's pen to write the name of a file instead of using the keyboard but after I tried it a few times I found that it was faster using the keyboard as the recognition software would make alot of mistakes (maybe my handwriting is not good enough).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 05:00 by cybernesco »