MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Poll

What system are you using for your photo editing?

Windows
42 (53.2%)
OS X
36 (45.6%)
Linux
1 (1.3%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Are U Mac or PC?  (Read 13548 times)

« on: October 30, 2009, 17:09 »
I have been thinking for a while about my next laptop. Is there any advantage of having Mac instead of PC?

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 17:30 »
I'm going to grab some popcorn & sit back to watch the sparks fly.
I have both PC & Mac... But do all my editing on my Mac.

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 17:34 »
I don't remember anyone asking this before :)

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 17:58 »
I use a mac laptop for travelling and have a PC desktop for editing and work at home.

I don't really see much advantage to a Mac.  I like to be able to build and pic the parts I want in a computer and switch them out when necessary.  I wouldn't be against using a mac desktop but it is cheaper with a PC and I have more options.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 18:21 »
Though I certainly know of the advantages of Macs in the past - the first time I used a mouse was in an Apple at display at Glasgow University in 1990, when we were still using CGA monitors at work - is there really any advantage today?

Fotonaut

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 18:58 »
Mac OS X has both it advantages and disadvantages. The Macs are (for the most part) suberb and sublime. And costly. And limited if you need anything else than what Apple wants you to have.
I have been using the Mac since 1991 and just dont feel at home with Windows.

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 19:01 »
I wasnt going to say anything but I can't help myself.

The Windows OS has to be made to work on many different machines.
Dell, Asus, HP etc, etc.

The Mac OS ( based on Unix) is purpose built to run on the Apple architecture.
This makes them inherently more stable and faster.

Is there any other REAL advantage to a Mac. Nope.

But I promise you, if you get a Mac Pro and use one for six months, you will wonder why anyone bothers with a PC anymore.

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 19:14 »

But I promise you, if you get a Mac Pro and use one for six months, you will wonder why anyone bothers with a PC anymore.

Here! Here! No headaches, no viruses, no vista - who could ask for anything more! I was converted 6 years ago, and I could not go back to PC.

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 22:46 »
I just upgraded to a nice machine with 12 gigs of RAM, a 1.8gb video card and Windows 7.  My previous machine had Vista, but like many others I ditched Vista and got an OEM XP home disk. 
Windows 7 so far runs my programs nicely, so for now I'm still a PC guy.

helix7

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 23:01 »

I was a windows guy until OSX. After I gave that a try (and waited the obligatory time required of any new os to become stable), I switched and haven't looked back since. Today when I use a Windows computer (which fortunately is rare), it's a reminder of why I switched. It's sort of the same feeling I got when I drove through Trenton NJ recently and saw the crappy apartment I used to live in over by the state prison, and I think about where I live now in a good house in a nice neighborhood. For me, going back to Windows would be like moving back in next door to the Iceman.

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 23:06 »
Windows guy.

8GB ram, 1.28tb hard drive, intel core i7 920 2.67ghz (8 cores), 512mb ati radeon 4850 graphics card, and two 24 inch flat panel hd monitors all for under $1500.

I have vista ultimate and have had no problems with it. It runs fine and has never crashed on me. To buy a equivalent machine from mac would cost at least twice as much if not three times and wouldn't be nearly as customizable.

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 23:54 »
commodore 64

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 00:25 »
Macs are so much more elegant and simpler to use...no virus issues, no clunky Windows OS. Mac OS X is brilliant...what is not so great is Apple's software offerings...they seem lightweight compared to MS Office, Adobe etc.

ap

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 00:57 »
Macs are so much more elegant and simpler to use...no virus issues, no clunky Windows OS. Mac OS X is brilliant...what is not so great is Apple's software offerings...they seem lightweight compared to MS Office, Adobe etc.

i switch back and forth between mac and pc due to the above reasons. it can be frustrating to not be able to use an ap (or game) that's only available to the pc. however, the mac pro notebook is a real pleasure to use...

one thing is that if you ever want to offer footage or do video/film, apple's final cut pro (which is not available to pc) is the gold standard for editing and post processing. we were even able to do a green screen shoot and stitch it together in final cut afterwards (plus numerous special effects).  
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 01:02 by ap »

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 06:19 »
what is not so great is Apple's software offerings...they seem lightweight compared to MS Office, Adobe etc.

You can get MS Office for Mac too. And what Adobe software doesn't have a mac version? Why would you insist using Apple's software?

I switched from Windows to Mac a few years ago and never looked back. My Mac(s) just work; they very seldom crash, freeze, have viruses or some unlogical weird problems. Life seems just much easier and brighter with a Mac (And I get my work done, too) :)

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 07:36 »

For me, that is the REAL advantage.

PaulieWalnuts

• We Have Exciting News For You
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 07:46 »

For me, that is the REAL advantage.

I'm not sure if you've noticed this but on each reply there's a quote button at the top right that automatically formats quotes for you.

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 08:00 »
Windows guy.

8GB ram, 1.28tb hard drive, intel core i7 920 2.67ghz (8 cores), 512mb ati radeon 4850 graphics card, and two 24 inch flat panel hd monitors all for under $1500.

I have vista ultimate and have had no problems with it. It runs fine and has never crashed on me. To buy a equivalent machine from mac would cost at least twice as much if not three times and wouldn't be nearly as customizable.

There it is!

Yes Mac is good! I used it for 7 months but It is just not as practical for me! I think a mac is pretty much useless apart from work.

Mac used to have very big advantages over windows but not anymore. The developments have been huge in recent years and right now you can get a much better PC than any Mac for half the price if not less. And that's not the only good thing about it.

bittersweet

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 08:03 »
I think a mac is pretty much useless apart from work.

There it is!  ;D

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 08:10 »
I think a mac is pretty much useless apart from work.

There it is!  ;D

Couldn't help it, could you ;D

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 08:36 »
Getting ready to buy my 4th Mac, a Mac Pro Quad-Core. My current G4 is almost 7 years old and still runs great, have never reformatted it, but need the intel processor to run Deep Meta and other apps. I used to have a Windows machine for some freelance work but it sat gathering dust for years and I finally got rid of it. ;) I subscribe to the idea that working on a beautiful machine makes your work more beautiful. :)

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 09:00 »
  I hope all the Windows people realize that you can run Windows on a Mac. Have been able to for quite some time now. Although I haven't actually heard of anyone switching back and forth, once they start using Mac OS. Once you go Mac, you never go back!

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 09:10 »
IMO, the Macs are highly over-rated and they are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.

I just upgraded my computer and built a quad-core machine (Intel Q9550 w/ 4 GB RAM) that is super-fast for under $500.  If I had to do it from scratch, it would have cost less than $1000.

Mac quad-core computers go for over $3000.

With new technologies coming out every year and computers becoming defunct shortly thereafter, I can't see spending $3000 on a computer every few years.

EDIT: I forgot to add that my first computer was an Apple II back in the late 70s.  It had only 4K RAM, no hard drive (none were available), no floppy drive (none were available), and no monitor (it hooked up to a TV similar to a gaming system).  If you wanted to save a program/application, you had to hook it up to a tape recorder and hope for the best!  When a floppy drive came out the following year, it was $600 for a 5 1/4" double-sided "floppy" drive!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 09:29 by GeoPappas »

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2009, 09:25 »
  As with all investments, whether a computer or camera equipment, you have to ask yourself, "Have I reached the level where I can afford the best, and will it pay for itself many times over?" For me, the answer was yes.

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 09:33 »
"Have I reached the level where I can afford the best, and will it pay for itself many times over?" For me, the answer was yes.

There is nothing about a Mac that makes it "the best".  You might like it a lot and that is fine, but trying to quantify something that is a personal feeling is a stretch.

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2009, 09:53 »
 As with all investments, whether a computer or camera equipment, you have to ask yourself, "Have I reached the level where I can afford the best, and will it pay for itself many times over?" For me, the answer was yes.

Hahahaha :)

My stock income can easily afford the so called "best" every month, but I see no point to get it, because my windows HP laptop is "best" enough for me!

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 09:56 »
  To say that there is "nothing" about a Mac that makes it the best choice, is to disagree with millions of happy Mac users. I base my research, of what kind of computers and camera equipment my favorite photographers use. If your favorite photographers use PCs, then that would be the "best" choice for you. Of course, it's all subjective.

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2009, 09:59 »
  To say that there is "nothing" about a Mac that makes it the best choice, is to disagree with millions of happy Mac users. I base my research, of what kind of computers and camera equipment my favorite photographers use. If your favorite photographers use PCs, then that would be the "best" choice for you. Of course, it's all subjective.

I don't have a favourite photographer :D

I base my opinion on how great my high spec windows laptop performs for me! Nothing else.

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 10:12 »

Then we are in agreement.

My point is that you can't "quantify" anything about a Mac to say that it is "the best".  It is all a personal decision.  Personally, for me I can't justify the expense.

And the Mac market makes up only a small percentage of the overall PC market.  So millions more people feel that the PC is better.

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 10:25 »
  Although the Mac makes up only a small percentage of the "overall" PC market, I think you will find it makes up more like 50% or higher of those in the creative field (photographers).

Check this thread, although rather dated: http://www.linkedin.com/answers/marketing-sales/graphic-design/MAR_GRD/239806-10426589?split_page=1

PaulieWalnuts

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2009, 10:30 »

"Best" is subjective. Best for you...

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2009, 10:41 »
Yes Paulie, this was covered five responses ago. ;)

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2009, 11:14 »
I just upgraded my computer and built a quad-core machine (Intel Q9550 w/ 4 GB RAM) that is super-fast for under $500.  If I had to do it from scratch, it would have cost less than $1000.

Mac quad-core computers go for over $3000.

How many hours did your project take installing hardware and windows? (from-scratch-version)

I don't think Macs are expensive. You get a lot of reliability, design and bells and whistles with the money.

PS. How would you build a 27" iMac from PC parts?

PS2. Mac quad cores for $3000 is misinformation, Here you can clearly see that 27" iMac QuadCores are from $1999, and that INCLUDES a 27 inch screen. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac

PaulieWalnuts

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2009, 11:20 »
Yes Paulie, this was covered five responses ago. ;)

Really.  ??? Unless I'm missing something you still look like you're trying to say Macs are just plain best because you, articles, and some other people say so.

That's like saying Ferrari is the best. It's probably not the best for a working single mother of five regardless of what anybody else says.

You and the other sheeple have been drinking the marketing coolaid.

I use whatever works best for me. For now that's Windows. Vista works excellent for me and I like it better than XP which I liked. I tested Windows 7 for a while and like it too. If I found a good reason to use a Mac I'd switch. I haven't seen one.

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2009, 11:40 »
Yes, you are missing something. We are in agreement. Mac for me, PC for you.

Less cowbell!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 11:48 by rimglow »

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2009, 12:27 »
I have to say I like the Mac design.
In school we work on Macs.
At home I still have PC  I don't see very much difference in the working field compare PC to Mac.
I only hate vista but I could change it to windows 7.  

For the design I would buy Mac
for the price PC.

On one PC we run Kubuntu  (linux) until now no problem.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 14:18 by kaycee »

PaulieWalnuts

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2009, 13:55 »
Yes, you are missing something. We are in agreement. Mac for me, PC for you.

Less cowbell!

Cowbell is the best!  ;)

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2009, 14:08 »
I like the Canon vs. Nikon threads better ;-}

I use both; but if I had to pick one, I would choose Windows (7).

My iCore7 monster system "built for Windows" cost me less than $1k.  I went looking for the same from Apple, but they did not have it at the time.  Just looking, not buying.  It would have been 3x the price easy.  If all you do is "creative" work then I would say either; but since I play some games, code software, run multiple businesses, Windows works better for me.

But really its Mac OS vs Windows since its all Intel based architecture now anyway.  Buy whatever hardware you want, then choose your OS (disclaimer: I believe you can only run Mac OS on "Apple" hardware per their agreement).

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2009, 14:15 »

The same way you 'build' a 27" Mac. Buy it straight from dell or gateway or some other company. Mac isn't the only brand with all-in-ones. And the ones from other companies are much cheaper. Like this quad-core dell (albeit only has a 24" screen) for $1300.

http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/dell_xps_one_20.jpg

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2009, 14:21 »

The same way you 'build' a 27" Mac. Buy it straight from dell or gateway or some other company. Mac isn't the only brand with all-in-ones. And the ones from other companies are much cheaper. Like this quad-core dell (albeit only has a 24" screen) for $1300.

http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/dell_xps_one_20.jpg

WOW that's looking pretty cool.
Yhanks for the link

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2009, 00:07 »
I should rephrase that...I use MS Office 2008 and Adobe Lightroom and PS CS4...what I meant was I don't see why people rave about Aperture and other Apple software...it just doesn't cut it.

what is not so great is Apple's software offerings...they seem lightweight compared to MS Office, Adobe etc.

You can get MS Office for Mac too. And what Adobe software doesn't have a mac version? Why would you insist using Apple's software?

I switched from Windows to Mac a few years ago and never looked back. My Mac(s) just work; they very seldom crash, freeze, have viruses or some unlogical weird problems. Life seems just much easier and brighter with a Mac (And I get my work done, too) :)

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2009, 05:39 »
Dang, I'm the only Linux user so far....   ;D

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2009, 07:17 »

The same way you 'build' a 27" Mac. Buy it straight from dell or gateway or some other company.

The point here were that the poster told he built himself a PC cheaply. That wouldn't help a bit if someone wanted something as beautiful, simple and space-saving as an iMac.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 07:20 by Perry »

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2009, 12:14 »
I'm not sure why the argument. PCs are pick up trucks, they get the job done, but for getting around curvy roads in style they just aren't that much fun. Too often too, you end up calling the AAA for a jump start or pushing them down a hill to get a PC going. That's okay I guess, after all it's only time and aggravation. Meanwhile the super cool dude (dudess) in the Mac goes screaming by, laughing, head back, gorgeous girl at his side. Man on side of road in pick-up looks up and dreams, someday life will be the same for him. "Ah well", he says, "the pick-up was good enough for my daddy."  Too bad daddy never got out of grade school.

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2009, 09:35 »
I value my time, so it's been Macs since 1987...

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2009, 13:31 »
ROFL...

They're just a tool, same as your camera.

It's what you do with it that counts...

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2009, 13:59 »
I have been thinking for a while about my next laptop. Is there any advantage of having Mac instead of PC?

Style and street cred for one  ;) ;D

Really though the apple software such as iworks, ilife, and Aperture simply just works, and with the screens I find my Imagery is leaping off the screens and I pick up so much more quality issues which I missed when with Windows  ::)

My only regret is that I did not switch years ago and when my Sony Viao Laptop packs in I will be purchasing a MacBook!

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2009, 15:06 »
Macs: Cutting edge, innovative, elegant.
PCs: Good enough to get by, on the cheap.

CofkoCof

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2009, 16:29 »
Windows 7 for me.

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2009, 17:07 »
Macs: Cutting edge, innovative, elegant.
PCs: As good as Macs.

You are right!  ;D