pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Rights Managed Licence - Advises Needed  (Read 4527 times)

« on: December 12, 2006, 21:10 »
Hi Guys,

I'm a newb in stock photography

Ok.. Need your help here...
I'm looking at using a Rights Managed photo for our corporate webby. It's gonna cost us alot. To go exclusive, it's gonna cost more..
Just the licencing fees will kill me!

Question 1:
Is it legal to do a re-shoot of the shot? considering we like the concept a lot... Looking at the cost, that's probrably the cheapest!

Question 2:
Can I purchase RF photos and Digitally compose the image and use that for my webby and other advertising stuffs?

Question 3:
Any cheaper alternatives? We're looking at about 40KUSD of licencing fees here.. that'll probrably make the photographer very very happy..
Don't know how much of it goes to him tough..

Appreciate your advises..

Thanks
Cheers
Eric.

Greg Boiarsky

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 21:31 »
Question 1:
Is it legal to do a re-shoot of the shot? considering we like the concept a lot... Looking at the cost, that's probrably the cheapest!

Cheapest, for sure, but not necessarily very ethical (and possibly illegal, depending on how thoroughly you copy the original).  You're stealing another person's idea.  But, ethics aside, this isn't a good idea.  You're not likely to produce a good image, unless you're a competent photographer.  After all, you pay photographers to take the photo because they do it better than you can . . .

Question 2:
Can I purchase RF photos and Digitally compose the image and use that for my webby and other advertising stuffs?

You may do this.  What you cannot do is then sell the composed image.  I'd also be sure to give the original photographers credit for their images.

Question 3:
Any cheaper alternatives? We're looking at about 40KUSD of licencing fees here.. that'll probrably make the photographer very very happy..
Don't know how much of it goes to him tough..

If the image is unique, or very unusual, you're not likely to find a cheaper alternative.  If you can find a similar image on the microstocks, that might be your best bet.  But, keep this in mind:  If you intend to use the image for more than just a web page, you'll need a fairly high-quality shot; if you're just using the web, the shot's quality is less important.

Depending on how large your company is, you might be able to negotiate with the photographer.  But, if your company is large, can afford the 40K, and really wants this image to market itself, you should bite the bullet and pay for the image.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 21:54 »
Thanks... I'm sitting on the fence on the ethics part.. That could be a deal breaker for me..

I was thinking of commissioning a photographer and asking him to do the shoot for us.

But I'm hasitating on the "stealing" of concept part.

The setting and subject is gonning to be completly different, but the idea is similar.. so that's what's borthering me.

I guess you're right about negotiating with the photographer. It's probrably a good approach. Is there any considerations? Is this deemed to be bypassing the stock photo site? Ethics?

Greg Boiarsky

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 23:33 »
It depends entirely on the stock agency.  If you're interested in exclusive, RM use, I believe the photographer will be involved in the negotiations.  BUT, I have not been in that situation--I wish I had been!--so I can't advise you.

I can say that if you don't require exclusive use, the price should drop quite a bit.

Good luck!

I guess you're right about negotiating with the photographer. It's probrably a good approach. Is there any considerations? Is this deemed to be bypassing the stock photo site? Ethics?

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 00:05 »
Thanks Mate.. :)

I sure hope you'll be in that position soon!

Have a great day ahead..

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 00:21 »
I wouldn't be that worried about using the concept.
1) it's not illegal (you can't copyright an idea)
2) With as may photos that there are out there, I doubt the idea was truely original.