pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Lightbox banners in image description at Istock  (Read 6848 times)

charlesknox

• www.charlesknoxphoto.com
« on: December 14, 2009, 20:23 »
Hey everybody

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about putting lightbox banners in each image description at IS. Is it worth it? to much of a hassle? what do you think?!?!

vonkara

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 20:40 »
I have created private lightboxes and linked those in the description of the relevent images. I know that every click on those lightboxes are made from there. It's a pretty popular feature for similar images search and is used by buyers...

There is a quote from a regular buyer/designer at Istock about lightboxes. You can find the whole discussion I had here http://www.microstockgroup.com/general-stock-discussion/designer-thoughts-on-microstock/

- Are you using more the public lightbox search on Istock or almost only the private one linked in the description field. Important to know cause it would mean that public lightbox traffic only come from bored people and could be useless.

I don't tend to 'search' public light boxes. I do often click on the images on the bottom of a picture that are 'more in this series' type thing.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 04:48 »
Like Vonkara, I have private lightboxes with links from the images in them, and every view of those lightboxes must have come from someone clicking on a link - there are many views, so certainly people do.  How much it helps sales I can't tell of course, but it can't hurt.

I also use the links to "related images" method a lot;  I have no way to evaluate how successful that is, but again, it can't hurt and with DeepMeta it's easy.  My feeling is it's likely even better than a lightbox - after all, someone has already viewed one image, they must be interested in that subject.

It's another way you have to market your own images against the competition.  If the best match puts one of your images at the top and others lower down, then if a buyer views the first one they get a chance to see the others too.  It can only help.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 09:54 »
I also use the links to "related images" method a lot;  I have no way to evaluate how successful that is, but again, it can't hurt and with DeepMeta it's easy.  My feeling is it's likely even better than a lightbox - after all, someone has already viewed one image, they must be interested in that subject.

How is this done in DeepMeta?
I'm a DM newbree.

RT

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 10:02 »
How is this done in DeepMeta?
I'm a DM newbree.

Once the images have been approved and you've refreshed your statistics all you need to do is select all the images you want to link together then right click and you'll see an option to 'create thumbnail links' do that and then go to the iStockphoto tab on the left in DM and hit send updates, It's as simple and easy as that.

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 11:24 »
Richard, thanks!
I'll check that out  ;D

RT

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 11:41 »
You're welcome I had problems doing it at first until I worked out the images had to be approved first and that you had to refresh your stats in DM.

Mind you it's probably in the instructions somewhere but obviously being a guy I haven't read them.

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 12:48 »
That's a great tip RT, and a lot less work than banners and lightboxes!

RT

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 15:06 »
Actually I do use private lightboxes and link to them in some of my shots, but the Deepmeta thumbnail creation is a brilliant way of linking one or two images from a series that wouldn't fit into my lightboxes.

I'd also like to point out that it's all down to the guy that wrote that great piece of software and then let's us use it for nothing, I genuinely hope he has a Happy Christmas.

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 18:52 »
So... being Deepmeta only for istock. Do you guys would recomend it for someone like me contributing to 7 sites?
The truth is i never even try it becouse i thought it was pointless having to manage the files in the program only for istock and then apart for all other sites, but maybe im wrong and it can also be used to organize my files and do the metadata work?
That feature you are talking about seems a great feature.

Thank you.

RT

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 18:55 »
Yes because it takes seconds and iStock's uploading and keywording is unlike any other site so you have to do it separately anyway.

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 05:32 »
Agreed - if you're relying on the IPTC for keywordng on the other sites, DeepMeta will pick that up and use it to derive iStock keywords, so just regard loading the files to DeepMeta as your "upload" to iStock.

Then, when the files are in DeepMeta, you just have to do the final submit.

It's easier than uploading directly.  About the only glitch is that you can't resubmit images via DeepMeta - you have to use the iStock interface for that.  Not a failing in DeepMeta itself, it's just that the API doesn't have the capability.

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 05:38 »
Another thought on the OP - I see a lot of people who put a great list of all their private lightboxes in the description of every file.

I don't see the point in that.  If a buyer is looking at your image of an isolated banana, it's not likely they want to check out your lightbox of 200 Engineering Widgets or whatever.

On the other hand, they might be interested in your lightbox of "Fruit Isolated on White" - keep the links relevant and they're more likely to take a look.

At least, that's how I think.