MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Which Images to Place at Multiple Sites  (Read 4120 times)

WarrenPrice

« on: December 16, 2009, 13:52 »
I just got accepted at ShutterStock and started uploading most of my best sellers.  It occurred to me that I might be shooting myself in the foot.  

I have images on DT that have reached higher levels and continue to sell well.  I've noticed that some of those images are starting to sell at other sites ... 123RF, for instance.  Is that hurting my DT sales?  Should I avoid uploading those to SS?  Is this another argument for being exclusive?

I know that DT will continue selling them as Subs but the credit sales at higher levels do make a difference.  Has this been discussed before?  I'm old and starting to have difficulty maintaining a cognitive thread of thought.  Help me here.   ???

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 15:50 by WarrenPrice »

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 13:59 »
It's difficult to know for sure, but I don't believe having the same image at multiple sites has a negative effect on my income overall.  Further, I suspect subscription buyers at sites like Shutterstock get most of their images there and don't also buy at other agencies unless they've either exceeded their download quotas (and don't want to wait for the next day's quote) or can't find an image they want at SS.  Buying patterns don't seem to overlap much for me, and unless an agency has bargain basement pricing, I don't think adding it to my upload list does me much if any harm.  Of course, your mileage may differ.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 14:03 »
You could upload smaller sizes to the subscription sites but I am not convinced that makes much difference.

WarrenPrice

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 14:17 »
Dang... I meant to do that with all the SS images. 
See... I forget everything.  LOL

KB

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 14:32 »
Does SS still have the new contributor bump?

I know the first month after I was accepted was my BME on SS for over a year (despite my port growing considerably from its size that first month).

If that bias towards new contributors still exists, then I'd think it's worth UL'ing as much as you can, as fast as you can, to take advantage of it.

Otherwise I agree with what others have said. I don't think, for the most part, sub sales on SS are going to have much of an impact on your sales at other sites.

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 15:21 »
I think it still exists. I still see new contributors complaining about slumping sales compared to their first couple months.

WarrenPrice

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 15:49 »
I think it still exists. I still see new contributors complaining about slumping sales compared to their first couple months.

I hope so.  I'll let you know how my first month goes.

EDITED:  How many images will I need online to notice the Bump?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 15:51 by WarrenPrice »

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 16:03 »
I don't believe there's a new contributor bump, but there's certainly one for newly accepted submissions.  Images will sell well for a couple of days after they get indexed, thanks to subscribers who grab anything new that looks interesting.  After that you're at the mercy of the search algorithm, and of course your own skills at keywording.

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 16:45 »
If a new contributor can get images in to the new artists lightbox on the front page, they will definitely see a bump in sales.

WarrenPrice

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 19:46 »
I'm really liking this place.  I submitted and was accepted in a matter of hours.  I then submitted a batch and had them reviewed (some rejected, of course) in hours.  Today, I have submitted several batches and had them reviewed.

And, I like that they send me an email that includes the reviewed images and their status/rejection reasons.  Makes it very easy to track my images at the site.

Now... let the sales begin.   ;D