MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: OFFICIALLY NO ITIN REQUIRED WITH FOTOLIA!!!!!!  (Read 34580 times)

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2010, 11:36 »
Well, so much for my idea to help people excluded from other forums - my thread just got closed !

@stardust - I think I'll join you and lay low   :-X

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2010, 11:52 »
Yeah did notice that Princess and its a shame, dont know why they closed it I presume if we try to keep the peps on the cafe du monde informed of any important news they cant close those posts down ??

Warren

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2010, 12:54 »
Dear Fotolia... (in case any spys are lurking, looking for contributors to ban...)

If I was looking for a vague and ambiguous resolution to our problem... then you have done a great job!
If I was expecting a "forked tongue", "double speak" response from you... then here is your pat on the back!

First you say... I don't need the ITIN number... for now...
Secondly... You still recommend that I spend time and money to get the ITIN number... even though I probably don't need it...
Third strike... You still (after a month of waiting) haven't sent me the official (IRS required) letter, to get my ITIN number...

What is it that they say about three strikes?
Don't worry... you'll soon find out...

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2010, 06:47 »
Hey all just got my letter and to me looks like we are back at square one !!!!! here it is any comments !!!!

Dear Mr Millar

Member # ****

This letter is to advise you based upon the information in our files it appears that you may be a resident of the United Kindom, which has an income tax treaty with the United States that provides for reduced rate of witholding tax on royalties.

if you are a resident of the United Kindom and qualify for benefits under the US/United Kindom income tax treaty, you will need to complete a US Internal revenue Service (IRS) Form W-8BEN, Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States tax witholding on royalties payable by Fotolia LLC. However, in order to obatain treaty benefits, Form W-8BEN must include a U.S. Taxpayer Identification Number, which includes a Social Security Number (SSN) or US Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If you do not currently have a SSN or an ITIN, you can obtain an ITIN by filling a form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Number, with the IRS. This process takes only 4-6 weeks and could reduce your witholding taxes significantly.

Please complete From W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number and include the proper documentation. This letter will serve as documentation for box h, Exception 1(d) referencing individuals who are reciving distributions such as royalties during the current year and require to provide an ITIN to the witholding agent, which is Fotolia LLC.

Please note that without an ITIN or SSN and a validated IRS from W-8BEN on file with Fotolia LLC royalties payable will be subject to US witholding tax at the appropriate non-treaty rate.

If you have any questions on tax witholding on your Fotolia earnings, please visit our Tax Center or contact your leagal/tax advisor.

Thank you for your coperation and attention to this matter.

Best ragards

Ralph G. DeLorenzo
Corporate Finance
Fotolia LLC

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2010, 07:01 »
^^^ Could it be that the letter was sent out before the policy change? Where was it sent from, the UK or US?

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2010, 08:02 »
Good point gostwyck,

It was dated 30/01/09 and sent from the US have to wait and see I suppose but anyway nothing seems to have changed as regards Fotolias change of policy for the time being so at least ive got a letter if I need one !!

Warren

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2010, 09:30 »
Good point gostwyck,

It was dated 30/01/09 and sent from the US have to wait and see I suppose but anyway nothing seems to have changed as regards Fotolias change of policy for the time being so at least ive got a letter if I need one !!

Warren

Wot! Looking at the date, it was sent a year ago!!

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2010, 09:53 »
As you live in the 'United Kindom' are you sure there is a treaty, I know there is one with the 'United Kingdom' but I am not sure where in the world the United Kindom is maybe close to the United Stats.

David  ;)

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2010, 11:31 »
Warren,
not to disappoint you but I'm afraid that this is not good enough :)
Princess is right, look at the date!
It's neither here, nor there.
Where did they get the 30 Jan 2009 from?
Random pick?

You live in the 'United Kindom', the date is one year old and the wording of the whole letter is confusing. It is addressed to you, the contributor, and it sounds more like a set of instructions than a certifying official document.
Warren, jokes aside, I don't think you should spend any of your money based on this letter. The date is strange and the wording is not how I think it should be.
Let's wait a little bit longer, see how things unfold.

Princess,
sorry about your 'Viewing Other Forums' thread. Only saw it now. It's a shame, really and it's absurd.
Fotolia Eu contributors can only access a small part of the forums. Absurd, unhelpful and a waste of time.
But instead of using their connections to try and solve the problem, leave it to Fotolia's moderators to lock the thread. They're in a league of their own.
Is there a price for such behaviour? Or does it come naturally?

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2010, 13:05 »
No Comment!  :-X

« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2010, 03:14 »
Ooops sorry folks its me and my typos sent on the 30/12/09 !!!!!  ::)

Im such an idiot

Warren

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2010, 03:21 »
All the spelling on the letter are correct I was just typing it out on here in a rush because I wanted you all to see it and get your comments sorry about the mistakes ...... I will go to bed early with no supper  ;)

Warren

« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2010, 03:59 »
Warren, thanks for typing all that out.  I don't think it is relevant anymore though, as they have stated they are going to have a review.  I am just going to let Fotolia sort this mess out and wait to see what they say after their review.  I see no reason why they can't sort this out with the IRS, like several other sites have, so we don't need the ITIN.  If they can't do that, I am not sure I want to work with them anymore.  I have already put up with commission cuts and moving the canister levels, this is their chance to prove they can do something good for their contributors.  They need to get it right.

« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2010, 06:02 »
@ Warren - oh, now I see it was a typo with the date... and no pudding after supper tonight too!

@ Sharpshot - the sad thing is fotolia are losing some good contributors recently. It's not all due to the tax issue, but sad nonetheless.

« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2010, 12:22 »
Off Topic

@Warren,
you're the cutest Fotolia model ever.
And very famous too!
Your grey hair is beautiful, you're enthusiastic, great sense of humor, warm hearted and all the girls love you (see Jane, Princess, Trina comments on Academy board).
Actually, I think the boys love you too :)
All is forgiven.
You can do no wrong!

On a more serious note, thank you for typing that letter for us. Shows that you care, much appreciated.
Let's talk Princess into letting you have your pudding tonight :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:33 by Eireann »

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2010, 04:00 »
Eirean,

You mean the top part of your post wasnt serious !!!!  ;D

But your too kind and thankyou for that if i could see myself now Im sure i'd be blushing

Warren

« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2010, 14:47 »
Ok Eireann, you've convinced me!

Warren, as we all luv ya, you can have an extra helping of pudding after supper tonight! Tee hee!  ;)

eyeCatchLight

• Imagination is more important than knowledge.
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2010, 14:59 »
Dear everyone,

I am sorry for this message. But all this tax thing has made me thoroughly confused, and so I would like to ask you guys for what I have to do in my simple case with all these forms and ITIN and so on.
I live in Canada, currently I have stated Canada in my Fotolia account. I am Austrian, so I could also switch it to Austria.
What is better, where do I have to do what and pay which taxes...? Which is the better choice?

Sorry to ask so boldly but I just can't see through it :-(.

Simone

« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2010, 15:32 »
^^^ I'm no expert but you would normally be domiciled (i.e. live) for tax purposes in only one country, usually the one where you reside and/or have a job.  If you live (and pay tax and therefore have a Tax Number) in Canada then that would probably be the more straightforward arrangement to make.

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2010, 16:07 »
Simone,

As it stands at the moment with Fotolia if you live in a country with a tax treaty with the US you just fill in the relavant W form leaving the ITIN number off in my case, UK, it was the W-8BEN form.
If and when Fotolia decide we do after all need a ITIN number then you will have to request a letter from fotolia to submit to the IRS along with your passport and i think its the W-7 form !!!
At first Fotolia where isisting we all need an ITIN number but after a lot of debate this was put on hold and Fotolia are now looking into this. Quite a few people have requested the letter from Fotolia and have now got the letter (me included) just in case it is needed after all.
This maybe different as you live in Canada not too shure, Hope this helps a little and I haven confused you even more !!!

Warren

eyeCatchLight

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2010, 11:14 »
Simone,

As it stands at the moment with Fotolia if you live in a country with a tax treaty with the US you just fill in the relavant W form leaving the ITIN number off in my case, UK, it was the W-8BEN form.
If and when Fotolia decide we do after all need a ITIN number then you will have to request a letter from fotolia to submit to the IRS along with your passport and i think its the W-7 form !!!
At first Fotolia where isisting we all need an ITIN number but after a lot of debate this was put on hold and Fotolia are now looking into this. Quite a few people have requested the letter from Fotolia and have now got the letter (me included) just in case it is needed after all.
This maybe different as you live in Canada not too shure, Hope this helps a little and I haven confused you even more !!!

Warren

Warren, thanks so much for your help! I am sorry I am a bit naive on this, but as my (few) sales picked up a few days ago and i received this tax e-mail, I also filled the W8-BEN form.  :)
I stated Austria now, just to be sure, as I am not a Canadian citizen, and it went through. But now - they say I also need an ITIN for 0 tax withhold - what is the status now, do I have to get an ITIN? And if yes, how do I request that letter?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the silly question.

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2010, 13:50 »
simone,

You should (as long as you have the W-8BEN done and accepted) now no longer pay any tax on any sales. Fotolia were insiting before Christmas that we had to get an ITIN number as well but have backed down on this for the time being while they look into it a bit more.
You should also get a rebate of any tax you have paid.
If fotolia come back and say we need an ITIN we will have to apply for one via the IRS in the States for which, amongst other things, we will need a letter POSTED to us by fotolia on headed Fotolia paper stating our account number.
A lot of us on Fotolia have requested the letter anyway so we can have it at the ready if Fotolia do indeed change again.
What I would do is contact support and ask them to send you the letter you will need in order to get an ITIN number and when you get it keep hold of it until you need it or not as the case maybe !!!
And if you are still paying tax on US sales even with the W-8BEN approved let Fotolia know.

Hope ive made sence here and this has helped you out a little

Warren 

eyeCatchLight

« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2010, 10:31 »
simone,

You should (as long as you have the W-8BEN done and accepted) now no longer pay any tax on any sales. Fotolia were insiting before Christmas that we had to get an ITIN number as well but have backed down on this for the time being while they look into it a bit more.
You should also get a rebate of any tax you have paid.
If fotolia come back and say we need an ITIN we will have to apply for one via the IRS in the States for which, amongst other things, we will need a letter POSTED to us by fotolia on headed Fotolia paper stating our account number.
A lot of us on Fotolia have requested the letter anyway so we can have it at the ready if Fotolia do indeed change again.
What I would do is contact support and ask them to send you the letter you will need in order to get an ITIN number and when you get it keep hold of it until you need it or not as the case maybe !!!
And if you are still paying tax on US sales even with the W-8BEN approved let Fotolia know.

Hope ive made sence here and this has helped you out a little

Warren 

Thanks thanks thanks and thanks again! :) i wrote to support and wait for my letter. :) you are the best!

« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2010, 09:33 »
Thank you Simone your too kind  :)

Warren

eyeCatchLight

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2010, 10:50 »
Thank you Simone your too kind  :)

Warren

so they answered me:
" Fotolia :     ok we will add your name to the list."

I guess this means the list of letters to write?? lol
how long did it take for you?