pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: 111,655 new photos added in the past week  (Read 33045 times)

« on: January 25, 2010, 22:20 »
WOW.

Didn't realize that the 100,000 weekly barrier had been broken.

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 22:33 »
This is an astonishingly high number. I remember being with fairly good agents that had collections of less than 100,000 images. And here we are seeing that many added in a week.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 23:22 »
Absolute insanity.  These guys are digging their own grave.  "Search Fatigue" will eventually send buyers elsewhere.

RacePhoto

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 23:26 »
Glad I could help, 7 are mine.  ;D

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 23:51 »
Absolute insanity.  These guys are digging their own grave.  "Search Fatigue" will eventually send buyers elsewhere.

Totally agree!  This is not good  :(

There are photographers uploading the same image with just slight variations dozens of times, and Shutterstock is accepting them all !

A search using "newest first" is becoming really annoying.  The same image once and again...

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 00:11 »

And 11 are mine. Yikes! I didn't realize that I was contributing to the downfall of an industry.   ;)

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 00:19 »
...Yikes! I didn't realize that I was contributing to the downfall of an industry.   ;)

Yeah, it's all your fault. LOL  ;D

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 00:22 »

And 11 are mine. Yikes! I didn't realize that I was contributing to the downfall of an industry.   ;)

110 here .. I'm sorry gang I just couldn't say no. If it makes anyone feel any better I got slapped on the hand for attaching the wrong model release to 39 of them.   ;D

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 01:05 »
185 for me.  Weekend in Yosemite, followed by a couple of studio shoots.

vonkara

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 01:08 »
-280 ...I goes exclusive with IS. Oh well, who cares  :)

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 08:57 »
They'll have ten million images on line next month.  That's a nice marketing hook.  Though, I think they would be wise to weed out the oldest non sellers as they move forward.  If an image hasn't sold in four or five years... it probably never will. 

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 09:25 »
They'll have ten million images on line next month.  That's a nice marketing hook.  Though, I think they would be wise to weed out the oldest non sellers as they move forward.  If an image hasn't sold in four or five years... it probably never will. 

I think the marketing hook is what it's all about, both in total size of library and new images per week  __ otherwise why go to the considerable expense of reviewing, bandwidth and storage? I guess Jon is just letting it run unrestricted and seeing what happens.

If an image is unpopular it quickly disappears into the depths where it will only ever be seen again if it occupies a niche so I don't see 'too many images' actually becoming a problem. Everything about SS is so simple and uncluttered and yet it works so well for both buyers and contributors. If you're a designer it must be an incredible resource to have access to for such a small amount of money.

Anybody else finding it a real struggle for their new images to get noticed though? I've uploaded about 80 so far this month, with several that I had high hopes for, but it seems like they're all just disappearing into the ether! I get the impression that there may not be as many long-term subscribers nowadays (who I assume would have trawled for the new images) but mainly short-term subscribers who just hoover up the popular stuff that already been sorted for them.

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 09:28 »
Anybody else finding it a real struggle for their new images to get noticed though? I've uploaded about 80 so far this month, with several that I had high hopes for, but it seems like they're all just disappearing into the ether! I get the impression that there may not be as many long-term subscribers nowadays (who I assume would have trawled for the new images) but mainly short-term subscribers who just hoover up the popular stuff that already been sorted for them.

Ditto. And being a pretty new submitter without a noticeable port my dls kind of went down.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 10:18 »
Unsustainable business practices

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 10:26 »
Most of my sales have been coming from the more popular images that are on the old side. Haven't really sold the new stuff much lately.

lisafx

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 11:47 »
This might explain why my sales the last week have been absolutely dismal there.  Seems like all of us that are uploading moderate amounts are just having our images swept away in the flood of others.

This reduced sales volume coupled with apparently the second year in a row without a raise is doing nothing to keep me interested in continuing to submit there. 

I think Ichiro is right.  This is unsustainable in the long term. 

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 11:58 »
Gotta love those factories, just pumping it out and flooding the market.  Oh, all those guys with their "make money from micro" blogs.  It all comes together, eh?

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 12:04 »
Gotta love those factories, just pumping it out and flooding the market.  Oh, all those guys with their "make money from micro" blogs.  It all comes together, eh?
Poor people think their going to become millionaires over night then when nothing happens there pictures just sit there gathering lots of dust with no sales.

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 12:16 »
This might explain why my sales the last week have been absolutely dismal there.  Seems like all of us that are uploading moderate amounts are just having our images swept away in the flood of others.

This reduced sales volume coupled with apparently the second year in a row without a raise is doing nothing to keep me interested in continuing to submit there. 

I think Ichiro is right.  This is unsustainable in the long term. 

Ditto!

Well, I think Shutterstock has helped me to take a difficult decision this week...  Going IS exclusive seems to be the best I can do.

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 12:34 »

To be honest it's not all that different to Istock's weekly image intake, especially considering that SS is a high volume, low cost business model. There are currently 66K new images sitting in Istock's in-tray, most of which will be inspected within the week, and exclusive images much faster. IS must be adding new content at something like 50k per week.

WarrenPrice

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 13:21 »

To be honest it's not all that different to Istock's weekly image intake, especially considering that SS is a high volume, low cost business model. There are currently 66K new images sitting in Istock's in-tray, most of which will be inspected within the week, and exclusive images much faster. IS must be adding new content at something like 50k per week.

That is sort of what I thought.  Isn't it the same EVERYWHERE?  "make money from micro" blogs aren't specific to SS, are they?

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 13:36 »
I'm glad people still find my images although I didn't upload in a while.

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 14:15 »
I'm glad people still find my images although I didn't upload in a while.

I haven't uploaded anything substantial for the last couple of months because of camera problems...but they keep selling. Not as many as say you uploaded constantly but they do sell

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 14:40 »
I didn't mean to say this was an issue limited to SS...

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 16:40 »
100,000+ images in one week eh? I wonder how may of them....

- are NOT isolations

- are NOT isolations of OBJECTS

- have decent metadata and can actually be found by buyers who want the image

- involved subject matter people actually buy

- well executed (lighting, wardrobe, location, etc...)

- the list goes on and on......