pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Here we go my first vector..what'd think?  (Read 18140 times)

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 17:26 »
donding, my few illustrations are very simple like this, and I don't have a large portfolio for proper statistics, but some seem to sell much better than photos.  Many of my best-sellers in FT in fact are illustrations.

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 17:44 »
donding, my few illustrations are very simple like this, and I don't have a large portfolio for proper statistics, but some seem to sell much better than photos.  Many of my best-sellers in FT in fact are illustrations.
It just seems like everything is leaning towards vectors. I just got to get it through my head as simplicity. I was a realist oil painter for many years and I look at these vectors like a detailed drawing. I think I need to stop that and look at it as a simple illustration.

LSD72

• My Bologna has a first name...
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 17:56 »
Ok... this is my actual 3rd Xara drawing. Think I am finding out the tools pretty fast.

Nice and simple... so I dont get... "Burned Out"

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 18:22 »
^^ I like it!  ;D

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 18:26 »
That's a really cool vector LSD72. Is Xara very hard to use?

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 18:33 »
It just seems like everything is leaning towards vectors. I just got to get it through my head as simplicity. I was a realist oil painter for many years and I look at these vectors like a detailed drawing. I think I need to stop that and look at it as a simple illustration.

I don't sell mine as vectors (except for a couple in Crestock - I regret that), only rasters, but vectors seem very popular indeed.

LSD72

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 18:53 »
That's a really cool vector LSD72. Is Xara very hard to use?

Thanks

Not actually hard... but I used to do some T-Shirt Designs in CS2 back around 2004. So some head start...but not much since I forgot a bunch of it and the controls are in different places with different names. To me it is a simpler layout than AI.

I think I am going to breakdown and buy the Non Pro version when the trial runs out. It's only like $89 (Big Selling Point over AI). Since I still have my CS2 Disk I can export over and check the design...then put it into proper format for Stock.

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 19:44 »
Here's an owl feather I traced from one of my photos in Illustrator, first time I've tried using a photo as a template (the original photo is 2nd). Haven't done many illustrations even though I have a BA in this area. Was trying to get the photography up to snuff first.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 19:53 by epantha »

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 20:45 »
Here's an owl feather I traced from one of my photos in Illustrator, first time I've tried using a photo as a template (the original photo is 2nd). Haven't done many illustrations even though I have a BA in this area. Was trying to get the photography up to snuff first.
Thats what I want to do...I want to make vectors out of my photos. Thats a really good one you've got. I need to purchase Illistrator or some other software that will work as good. Inkscape is freeware and fairly easy to use but it crashes all the time and alot of the applications it has, have a mind of their own.

LSD72

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 11:49 »
whooo hooo. Now I know the conversion process works correctly.

Flying Mouse Stashes are now branded

Trying to figure out what else to add to the lightbulb before submitting it.

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 12:06 »
maybe put part of a face below it com-tinplating an idea?

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 13:19 »
The light bulb needs Mouse Staches!!!!

LSD72

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 13:39 »
Flying or non-flying?  ???

LSD72

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2010, 22:47 »
I am going to share one more to give ideas on practice. I picked an object in the house and just went for it. Might take you a while if you don't know what your controls can do... but this will teach you and force you to play and learn.

This particular one just made up my mind to go ahead and buy Xara Xtreme. I did not time it but best guess by what was on tv...under an hour. I am also just using a mouse.

Here is a link to it on my Flickr.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/4331099923_9e4eeb081b_o.jpg

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 10:13 »
Great idea! Thanks for the tip.

LSD72

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2010, 14:17 »
This is kinda cool. The Country Girl got Todays Best on Zazzle. On the Main Zazzle Page.. it's the second item under "Todays Best"( Edie: I guess it moves around, not in the same spot now). I cleaned up the design a little and added the fence.

http://www.zazzle.com/country_girl_on_fence_card-137890815407569449

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 14:19 by LSD72 »

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2010, 14:29 »
This is kinda cool. The Country Girl got Todays Best on Zazzle. On the Main Zazzle Page.. it's the second item under "Todays Best"( Edie: I guess it moves around, not in the same spot now). I cleaned up the design a little and added the fence.

http://www.zazzle.com/country_girl_on_fence_card-137890815407569449

Congrats!!! I haven't tryed out my "new software" yet, but hopefully over the weekend I'll be able to. Have you tryed submiting it to any of the stock agencies yet??

LSD72

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2010, 14:34 »
Yea on SS only, the flying mouse stashes are approved and Country Girl and Lightbulb are waiting for review.

Don't forget.. if you use text (like I did in the Sunset)... you must convert the text to a shape before you save and submit.

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2010, 22:28 »
Here we go again..how's this one..a little less detailed than the last one of mine. Gotta figure out to save these things to,,

LSD72

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2010, 23:13 »
Auto Trace?

Now to look at it as a possible stock  design...

I would probably remove all the white on your Silo. Make it Black. Parts that should be shown through... show that BG Yellow Color (Fishing Pole Eyes)

For this one... I am not digging the Stars and Moon? Sun? Maybe make that Sun a little bigger and remove that glow and the stars. Maybe feather the Sun just slightly. Leave room for "Room for your text"  or something...copyspace.

This one could be a submitter for you.

Saving...might want to go for EPS10 unless you know it will work for EPS8...IE: No Gradients or Transparencies and such.

Look at this page and pay attention as to what should not be ticked on the "EPS Options" Screen.

http://sellinggraphics.com/24/how-to-prepare-vector-illustration-for-microstock-sale

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2010, 23:47 »
Yeah I think the sun and the stars don't quite go together....and yes it was an auto trace. That's the only thing I could figure out...lol

I see what you're talking about on the white....heh I got so excited I forgot to click. ;D

I think I'll take out the sun and stars...that really doesn't look to good. You think I need to leave the background yellow or do you think it would look better just white?

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2010, 23:50 »
Can you tell the boy is fishing or is that lost in the Silo?

LSD72

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2010, 00:11 »
Leave it yellow and yes I can tell he was fishing.. or at least on a dock holding a Pole.

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2010, 11:03 »
My first two vectors were rejected on iStock today...    :(

donding

• Think before you speak
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2010, 11:32 »
My first two vectors were rejected on iStock today...    :(
What was their reason? I haven't tried yet.