MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Truncated file  (Read 5951 times)

RT

« on: March 22, 2010, 08:58 »
Ever had a truncated file?

I was just finishing off some shots for a client and I renamed them to fit in with some previous work I'd done for them, sent off a small jpeg for approval and got an email back saying they couldn't open them, when I tried I got a message in Photoshop saying the files were 'truncated or damaged', so were the renamed tiffs, couldn't open the jpegs but I could open the tiffs and found the image had been split in half and lost a colour channel.

Luckily for me I always save original edits under the original file name to two external hard drives, which I re-opened renamed and saved again, this time it all worked fine but it makes me wonder why are computers such a PITA sometimes.

Just a reminder to everyone to never rename an original, this got me searching on the internet to find out why it happened, I couldn't find an answer but did find that once 'truncated' the file is gone forever!

red

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:16 »
Yes, it has happened to me and in my case it seemed to be linked to copying a file from one place to another, especially across different servers. Not sure about the renaming thing but Mac users are used to naming their files with spaces and characters that PCs often don't like and which subsequently corrupt the file. Unfortunately with the speed of electronics these days you seldom worry about a problem like this - until it occurs. Then, you are paranoid and back up everything and/or save every original.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 09:22 »
Yes, I have seen truncated files. I think it's just a saving error, on both macs and pcs. I've had both.

RT

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 09:31 »
Yes from what I've found it tends to happen when renaming a file and saving it, I use a Mac but found lots of examples where people said they were using a PC. The annoying thing is that I'd done nothing differently than what I've done a thousand times before, and have done since posting the message without it happening again. 

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 07:19 »
I've had success opening truncated files by doing this: Open the file using GraphicConverter. Then you can save it however you wish.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 07:41 by rimglow »

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 10:56 »
I've had success opening truncated files by doing this: Open the file using GraphicConverter. Then you can save it however you wish.

You can also do it using MS Paint, believe it or not - an easy way to recover damaged files.