MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Do you purchase location permits and insurance?  (Read 3053 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

« on: February 17, 2012, 02:55 »
When shooting on public land like state parks and beaches, do you purchase usage permits and the required insurance? And let's say you have a model on location and he/she gets injured. Are you liable? Do  you do anything to waive your liability?



« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 07:47 »
Yes, I purchase permits....yes, I have insurance...yes, if the model gets injured you may need to cover that injury (why you have insurance).  Some permits require at least $1 million in insurance coverage.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 14:53 »
In Australia, many locations require coverage of $10million or more.

Like Ed says, you can be liable if you've done something to cause their injury. Having them sign a waiver that is endorsed by the insurer can exclude you from liability incurred by the model's actions, but it doesn't protect you for much, as you have a duty of care as the shoot producer/organiser.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 17:39 »
Thanks guys...

I've been looking into it and will be buying a $2 million liability policy. It's not too expensive and the right thing to do. The permits for simple photo shoots are free in the San Diego area so that rocks. Sure, it is more paper work but better than getting kicked off a shoot by park rangers or cops with an awesome model and beauty light fading fast.


« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 14:36 »
I'm changing insurance (was formerly getting insurance through the PPA) and am finalizing things this week.

As of this afternoon, I'm insured up to $2million.  There is an "errors and omissions" aspect of the policy in case I shoot an event and a CF card becomes corrupt and I have to re-shoot it.  My equipment is covered at FULL REPLACEMENT VALUE.  In other words, if I break my 5D MK II and they aren't made anymore, they will pay for me to get a 5D MK III to replace my camera.  If my equipment is stolen or my house burns down with it in it, they will pay for any losses incurred with my ability not to work due to the loss.

The only portion that I am working on finalizing (should be by Friday) is I've asked for a supplemental policy that covers me for any claims made by a model or anyone else that sues for right to privacy reasons.  As an example, say a model sees an image of themselves on the cover of a magazine and suddenly they decide that even though they were compensated, they feel they weren't "adequately" compensated, or they feel they didn't understand the model release.  This will also cover editorial situations where if I shoot an editorial image, an it's used in a travel brochure or in a newspaper, I am covered if the people in the image attempt to sue me.

I think it's worth it as well - per the TOS of most micro agencies, we indemnify them...I can't afford to do that out of my own pocket.  I went through Hill & Usher and my understanding is that many stock photographers have similar supplemental policies.


  • There is a crack in everything
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 14:43 »
Is anyone prepared to say what sort of prices these policies cost?
Any I've seen have been really expensive (UK). [NB, I don't shoot models.]


« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 15:02 »
Is anyone prepared to say what sort of prices these policies cost?
Any I've seen have been really expensive (UK). [NB, I don't shoot models.]

Sue, my initial insurance through the PPA was $320 USD/year.  That covered $1 million general liability (what's required here in Colorado to get permits to use a facility).  In New York, my understanding is more and more, the requisite is $5 million in liability.  The PPA policy strictly covers general liability.

The policy I have through Hill & Usher is $729 USD/Year  The policy is much more comprehensive and covers:

-$2,000,000 general liability including personal injury each occurance  up to $4,000,000
-$300,000 damage to premises rented (i.e. studio building)
-$10,000 medical expenses
-$15,000 Business personal property (camera bags, props, furniture)
-Business interruption (up to 12 months)
-$10,000 Rented quipment
-Building glass
Accounts receivable $125,000
Valuable paper and records $25,000
-Electronic data processing $50,000 (say your computer gets a virus and you lose all your images or need to pay for recovery)
Targeted hacker attack
$25,000-rental cars

I don't have numbers yet on the supplemental policy but I beleive it will be approx $400 or $500 for $1 million worth of coverage.


  • There is a crack in everything
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 15:21 »
Thanks, Ed.

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 02:11 »
Thanks ED. My agent flaked out and I am looking for a good policy. I will head down your road to H&U ;)


Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post June 29, 2007, 13:28
by Istock News
5 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 18:51
by yingyang0
18 Replies
Last post December 31, 2009, 07:39
by FD
18 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 09:27
by bosharpe
8 Replies
Last post December 27, 2016, 02:43
by unnonimus


Mega Bundle of 5,900+ Professional Lightroom Presets

Microstock Poll Results


3100 Posing Cards Bundle