MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: TAX withholding question  (Read 2342 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

« on: March 26, 2014, 13:23 »
Hi all,

up to one year ago, I was living in a country that had/has no tax treaty with the US, so I just filled out my W-B8EN form every year and "lost" 30% of all my US sales.

In late 2013 I have moved to another country which does have a treaty with the US. I'm doing a PhD here, pay my income tax and social security here, so I believe I am a resident here. I'm wondering if that makes me eligible for using the tax treaty that the country has with the US? I don't have the countries passport or anything, but I work here and plan on staying for at least three years.

I tried to change my info in the SS tax center, but it seems locked, so I'm not sure.

If anyone has experience with things like these, let me know.


« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 13:25 »
Sounds like you should talk to a tax professional but you could try to talk to someone at Shutterstock first.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 13:34 »
Yeah, that was my first thought, the only problem being that I don't speak the official language, so it's pretty difficult to do administrative stuff. But yeah, maybe someone at SS would know. It's not an SS-only issue, though, it concerns all the stock agencies that I contribute to.

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 14:27 »
I am no tax expert, but I'd assume it logical that the W-B8EN would go with the country/address where you pay income tax and social security.


Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
389 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 15:10
by Mormegil
2 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 16:46
by icefront
6 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 18:45
by MatHayward
8 Replies
Last post December 03, 2014, 03:59
by EfrenBatt
2 Replies
Last post October 11, 2015, 20:44
by Mrblues101


Mega Bundle of 5,900+ Professional Lightroom Presets

Microstock Poll Results