pancakes

MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Forums  (Read 12534 times)

« on: July 15, 2015, 06:57 »
+1
The SS forums have been down for a couple of days, right?  It's not just something I'm seeing?

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 06:59 »
+2
This was a scheduled maintenance thing.  They announced it a week or so back - maybe longer.  They are supposed to be down all this week.

We'll see what the "new and improved" forum will be like.

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 07:17 »
+21
I would rather see them spend time and effort to fix the broken review system they have

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 08:34 »
This was a scheduled maintenance thing.  They announced it a week or so back - maybe longer.  They are supposed to be down all this week.

We'll see what the "new and improved" forum will be like.

Thanks.  Somehow I missed that.

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 13:50 »
+3
SS still has forums?  I thought all the important discussion was here!

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 13:53 »
Interesting. Istock moves their community to the invisible inside and SS reworks their forums.

I never really followed the SS forums, i don't know if it was the layout that was confusing or what was going on wasn't that exciting, so let's see what they do.

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 14:12 »
+9
...I never really followed the SS forums, i don't know if it was the layout that was confusing or what was going on wasn't that exciting,...

I used to participate a very long time ago, but they were largely unmoderated and the place was chaotic. It was very hard to avoid the professional time wasters - I even once had someone ask me to edit his picture for him (after I'd given some advice on editing to someone else)!

To me, the wild west of the SS forums illustrated the importance of gentle moderation (Rob Sylvan is still my hero in that department) if you want to have a useful community. The issues, IMO, had to do with the absence of the right staff, not anything to do with the forum software.

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 14:50 »
+9
Rob Sylvan is my hero too. He is the best community builder I have seen here in stockworld. Obviously, I dont know all forums, but Rob and Andrew (rogermexico) where extremely good.

You need people like that, people who really reach out and thrive on working with people. Like building a city, someone needs to set the tone, invite people in, someone who cares.

You cant create the vibe with an app or a layout.

ShadySue

• There is a crack in everything
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 15:28 »
+5
I really miss Uncle Rob.

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 17:09 »
+10
Rob Sylvan is my hero too. He is the best community builder I have seen here in stockworld. Obviously, I dont know all forums, but Rob and Andrew (rogermexico) where extremely good.

You need people like that, people who really reach out and thrive on working with people. Like building a city, someone needs to set the tone, invite people in, someone who cares.

You cant create the vibe with an app or a layout.
+100.  Two classy men. So different from Lobo.

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 15:33 »
It's back.

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 16:46 »
+1
Every link in the new forum that I tried to open, timed out.  Does not look to be functional at the moment.

Snip

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

w7lwi

• Those that don't stand up to evil enable evil.
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 17:43 »
+1
Every link in the new forum that I tried to open, timed out.  Does not look to be functional at the moment.

Snip

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

In the upper right corner is another login link.  Even though I was already logged in to the main site, I had to click that link.  I didn't actually have to log in, it just opened the pages so I could get access to them.  I don't know if this will be required every time or just this once.  We'll just have to wait and see.

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 07:55 »
+6
Perhaps they're also moving over to the new Getty Forum.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 08:47 »
+6
They all seem accessible now.  Don't like them at all.  Don't plan on being in there much at all now.

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 09:15 »
+1
They have up and down votes for posts, and what are warning points?

They seem to want to go social - friends, friends' comments on your profile, show who your friends are....

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 09:18 »
+1
still doesn't work for me...

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 11:41 »
They have up and down votes for posts, and what are warning points?

They seem to want to go social - friends, friends' comments on your profile, show who your friends are....

As if  it were not clicky enough. I can see the main site, but the links still time out, even when trying w7lwi tip. Thanks for that by the way, but still not working for me.

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 12:55 »
I think it looks good, the layout is certainly much easier to read than before. now let's see what they do with it :)

ETA: I love the critique forum. I really can see this working well. The preview images are really helpful,so you can instantly click on the image that you are interested in.

This forum goes very deep, looks like they spent a lot of time thinking about it. And they will probably adapt it based on user responses.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 14:39 by cobalt »

Shelma1

• stockcoalition.org
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 15:26 »
+5
I'm not crazy about it, and I hate the colorblindness test (AKA gray and red logo) appearing everywhere, but I hardly ever go there, so whatevs. I think the time and money to overhaul it could have been better spent elsewhere.

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 18:03 »
+10
New forum is quite disappointing. Who needs bazillion of categories, most of them are unnecessary. Big Brother is watching my every step, I cant even view a thread without my username being displayed there. And do we really need to know other contributors birthday...? Then we have something called "Reputation" here, the one who gets more positive votes wins a cookie.... I think Im too old for this  :-\

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 23:32 »
+2
Disappointing, showing little regard for existing users with little customization beyond the existing forum package set up.

The areas that most contributors visit often, are located at the bottom of the main page. And the thread content that they threw in various categories does not match their forum content descriptions.  Looks like they did not even read the threads and just threw them around willynilly. Pathetic how little regard they had for the content in recent forum conversations.

The new forum could have used a good  Interaction and Interface Designer.  The critique forum is a complete mess. What were they thinking??? Did they give it any thought at all?

The one area that looks like some thought has been put behind it, is the New Contributor Support Center. Once again resources and care are spent attracting and encouraging new contributors. http://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/75193-visit-our-new-contributor-support-center/

De

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2015, 04:44 »
+2
They all seem accessible now.  Don't like them at all.  Don't plan on being in there much at all now.

I used to check the SS forum on a daily basis and even found some relevant info at times but lately it's just a quick sweep. Now it even seems I have good reason to not check it at all, time better spent elsewhere anyway.
If there's a big change somewhere I'm sure someone on MSG will post about it so I can adapt to the situation. That is all I care about anymore in this business.

Rinderart

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2015, 14:15 »
won't log in. cleared cache, everything. reset connection window.

w7lwi

• Those that don't stand up to evil enable evil.
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2015, 15:51 »
won't log in. cleared cache, everything. reset connection window.

Hey Laurin.  Welcome home.  Dave said you got back from the hospital last night.  What can't you log in to?  site, new forum or ???