MicrostockGroup Sponsors

Author Topic: Software recommendation...  (Read 2814 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

« on: September 13, 2017, 08:16 »
I have seen some video clips where it looks like someone is zooming in on their subject, but it is really just a SW program and a still photograph - does anyone know what this is?


« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 08:58 »
Do you mean zoom? Or moving the camera closer?

I'm assuming you mean moving the camera closer, and there are several ways to do this.

1. Non-realistic - you just zoom, animate the scale. I'm guessing this is not what you meant.  ;) This is not realistic because all the elements in the photo move at the same speed (unless it's a telephoto shot).

2. Displacement Map in After Effects (or other compositing / 3D software). This can be realistic with small movements. You have to make a depth map for your photo. This is a greyscale representation of the depth in the photo that is used for adding lens blur, but can also be used with Displacement Map to move (some) things in a realistic way. Things close to the camera move faster than things far away. The built-in Displacement map in After Effects lets you move left, right, up and down, but not into the image. You need a plug-in called Freeform Pro for that.

If you have a simple landscape scene you can just make a depth map with a gradient ramp (radial or linear, experiment). This works well on some scenes, but for best results, you need to create a map that more closely resembles the actual photo.

3. The real, realistic, way (used in the majority of movies) - Camera mapping / camera projection. You create a rough (or detailed) 3D replica of your scene and project the photo on it. You then lock the projection and you can move around the scene. This is easy to do with a hallway, but harder to do with more complex scenes. If you have overlapping elements you need to prep the image in Photoshop, separating the background.

If done well, you do not know it started out as a photo. Every single epic movie (and TV show) uses this technique (used in matte painting).

In After Effects, you are limited to projecting onto planes, and it's a bit clumsy, but doable. It's easier in real 3D software.

4. Non-realistic parallax - same as #1 but you cut out foreground objects and place them closer to the camera in 3D space. Creates a cool effect, but it's not realistic.

5. Corner Pin in After Effects. If your scene is flat, you can stretch the bottom corners more than the top for a fake dolly in.

And you can of course combine these techniques.  :)

Anyway, if you were asking for software, the short answer is this:

After Effects.

Any real 3D software:
Blender, Maya, Cinema 4D, 3ds Max etc.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:24 by increasingdifficulty »

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:26 »
Read this discussion


That would be technique #1.  :D

Haha, if OP was asking about the Ken Burns "effect" (which is awful) I feel I may have posted an overly ambitious reply.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:51 by increasingdifficulty »


Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
21 Replies
Last post March 21, 2013, 15:27
by DrC
32 Replies
Last post November 22, 2008, 18:55
by lisafx
16 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 04:26
by travelstock
12 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 07:19
by getbizy
1 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 05:51
by Team PantherMedia


Mega Bundle of 5,900+ Professional Lightroom Presets

Microstock Poll Results


3100 Posing Cards Bundle